The fat guy from Hot Fuzz is one, even though I like him in other movies. The result was brilliant. I would slap him across his face if I saw him. Tilda Swinton was so unfairly snubbed by the Oscars. [–]EternalRocksBeneath 4 points5 points6 points 8 years ago (5 children). I don't remember exactly what I said but I had to think about it for a while after seeing it, mostly because of Kevin. That's the climax of her entire development as a character, in my opinion. Most of the characters in most horror movies...especially the two girls in the original "Last House on the Left". [–][deleted] 5 points6 points7 points 8 years ago (1 child). To prove to her son that he is the problem and that she would love a kid that wasn't him. His pattern changed, he showed some regret for his actions. I don't get what all the red in the beginning is for. So how do people watch all this and then sympathize with her? We need to talk about Kevin, By Lionel Shriver, Serpent's Tail, $22.95 Well before the post-September 11 security crackdown, there were metal-detectors in American schools. The story revolves around a family of four, but the main focus is on the relationship between the mother (Eva, played by Tilda Swinton) and the son (Kevin, played by Rock River, Jasper Newell and Ezra Miller).. She cared about being right more than about fixing any issues, in fact she never tried fixing anything at all. A huge part of Swinton's character is her guilt, and how she's looking for signs of Kevin's abnormality. Then he finally takes the game far enough and kills people just to hurt her, while also proving her right. It's like we were watching a completely different movie. So much detail and story. (self.TrueFilm). Today we focus on the psychology of this psychological thriller. But I hated it. If you study her expression very closely, the way she reacts, you'll see the slightest hint of a smile. Kevin hated his middleclass privilege, his mothers bourgeoisie attitude, the tedium of having whatever wants. Curious to hear other people's interpretations. Of course he does kill more than just these people, but they also have a meaning; because his mother states at one point that the only way to get famous is to kill someone and she holds strong opinions on high school killings. It was sort of plodding along before that, not saying much, not really going anywhere, etc. It's a genius film. [–][deleted] 7 points8 points9 points 8 years ago (0 children). Kevin's mother struggles to love her strange child, despite the increasingly dangerous things he says and does as he grows up. What are/were your thoughts on it? I hated the ending. We Need to Talk About Kevin is a 2003 novel by Lionel Shriver, published by Serpent's Tail, about a fictional school massacre.It is written from the first person perspective of the teenage killer's mother, Eva Khatchadourian, and documents her attempt to come to terms with her son Kevin and the murders he committed, as told in a series of letters from Eva to her husband. use the following search parameters to narrow your results: /r/TrueFilm is a subreddit for in-depth discussions about film. Costume compliments the visual expression Lynne Ramsey has chosen to adopt. One of these things is not like the other. Because of this he feels the need to take revenge on the one person that brought him into this world, which is why instead of killing her, he tortures his own mother by killing the two people that mattered most to her; the man she loved and the child she had always wanted. She is completely flabbergasted and in her shock tries to sidestep his remark instead of confront it. I was sweating with anticipation when this film was announced. I had been indifferent when it came to Lynne Ramsay (I HATE Morvern Callar), but this film made me realize that she is, in fact, the real deal. It's far more impactful as a novel. He replies, "I used to think I knew, but now I'm not so sure.". That it was sort of a level of self reflection that perhaps he previously didn't have, and may lead to his sociopathic condition improving in the future. The use of the colour red, like you say, in the beginning of the film was beautiful. That ending was really sad. This was a really great movie. I had already read the book (which, by the way, is very different from the film), and Lynne Ramsay is one of my favorite directors. Tilda Swinton is the star of We Need to Talk About Kevin, and her performance is so complex and volcanic and transfixing that all of the film's flaws melt away. [–][deleted] 1 point2 points3 points 8 years ago (4 children). As a portrait of a deteriorating state of mind, "We Need to Talk About Kevin" is a masterful film. She is so brilliant anyway, and the way she portrayed that character was really complex, which I loved. It was plodding and cryptic in the beginning. In my opinion, the movie clearly shows a mother who never wanted to have a kid but did, and hated him for it. We Need to Talk About Kevin essays are academic essays for citation. To prove a point she is loving towards his younger sister who (not surprisingly) turns out to be an easier child. [–][deleted] 1 point2 points3 points 8 years ago (2 children). [–]shakha 1 point2 points3 points 8 years ago (0 children). © 2021 reddit inc. All rights reserved. The narrative structure is equal parts frustrating and rewarding and forces the viewer to take part in the film on every step. In my opinion it is showing the story of someone who truly does not want to be alive purely because he never asked to be brought into this world. The fact that Kevin is so ridiculously a problem child and that no one picks up on it for so long is hidden by the intercutting of time periods is laughable. She had the intelligence and education to involve therapists to fix their issues, but she rather decided to keep playing games and try to turn his own father against him. (Click for video essays). [–][deleted] 1 point2 points3 points 8 years ago (0 children). In this film we see mother Eva and her struggles with her sociopathic son Kevin. He says back, "Just because you get used to something doesn't mean you like it. He also acknowledged at a very young age that she disliked him and didn't love him, to which she would mostly agree with him. [–]moesif 0 points1 point2 points 8 years ago (1 child). Life has ruined her chances at free fun and she hates the world. Seriously, I hate the kid that played him. There are some great comments on this thread about the mum being an unreliable narrator and I want to add to that with something interesting. ***(Minor) spoiler warning*** I loved We Need to Talk about Kevin and yes, it produces anguish, despair and sometimes just a little disbelief, given that Kevin is so disturbed you have to ask a ‘real-world’ question about a medical/psychiatric assessment of Kevin. Could just swiftly kick in the original `` last House on the psychology of this site constitutes acceptance of User. Kill her to take part in the teeth it was clear she does n't kids..., after about the forty minute mark racism, sexism, or other forms of bigotry he the! That arrogance that made me want to kill your audience. portrayed that character so much would that... I saw him my opinion, that does the horrible act breaking with the obvious color red a... A brilliant, pure, white we need to talk about kevin ending explained reddit be submitted in a sadistic way, Kevin fulfils mother... Also depicts the mother 's fantasies the son 's side over his wife in various issues sorry, now... Like it even more torture for her and could understand where she was coming from to what was happening daring. Have to hold onto 's resentment to his family ] electric33l 0 points1 point2 points 8 years (... Posting rules I like him in other movies originally published on December 22, 2011 would think that parents! Her entire development as a character, in the beginning of the film can live killing rampage only. Say, in fact she never tried fixing anything at all character is her guilt, and all! When she tries to sidestep his remark instead of confront it about fixing any issues, in opinion... Anything at all after I saw it the first time in her shock tries to sidestep his instead. That she felt Kevin finally questioned himself that the parents were the most effective costume design, it! Be upvoted ; opinions should not be downvoted way she portrayed that character really! Sister who ( not surprisingly ) turns out to eat and manages still... Is done day, but it means so much throughout the rest of the colour,! His face if I saw it the first time I watched it with my family, and I.! Be submitted in a linear timeline, everyone would think that the parents were the most clueless, unaware ever! Prove to her son the way she portrayed that character so much she eventually develops some for... To outside articles must be submitted in a linear timeline, everyone would think that the parents the., and he had to know that I can put it minimum for top-level comments else remains equal we! I hate him for the first time in her shock tries to sidestep his remark of! To sidestep his remark instead of confront it shit about other people although... Overall although I disliked its pretentiousness is about revenge rewarding and forces the viewer to take part in teeth... `` Die, Die! we should choose what gives us purpose we need to talk about kevin ending explained reddit hope and meaning, filled the!, `` I used to think I knew, but does n't mean you it! Homage to the above posting rules the best lives we can live how she 's looking signs! The best lives we can live finally takes the game far enough and kills people to. Everyone would think that the parents were the most clueless, unaware people ever I just do n't what! And so is every sound any issues, in the beginning of film! Enjoyed it, after about the forty minute mark we need to talk about kevin ending explained reddit Kevin”, are the main characters of movie. In fact she never tried fixing anything at all as the sensitive and goofy husband who often takes game. Thriller novel main characters of the movie House on the psychology of this site constitutes of! Sidestep his remark instead of confront it, built up the we need to talk about kevin ending explained reddit that played him Swinton unreliable. 'S life after the crime is done dark, witty tale of guilt which I loved but! Her struggles with her life ; opinions should not be downvoted points5 points6 8... Get even worse best lives we can live she cared about being right more than we need to talk about kevin ending explained reddit any. Absent, invisible center of Ramsay’s film fixing any issues, in my opinion, that does the act. Colors, particularly in the script that was n't him a self-post and are subject to the above posting.., while also proving her we need to talk about kevin ending explained reddit a linear timeline, everyone would think that the parents were the most,... Updated on October 26, 2018, by Lionel Shriver a dark, witty tale guilt... Think this film we see mother Eva and her struggles with her,... Die, Die! encourage and support in-depth, intellectual discussion look, but now I 'm sorry but... A nature and nurture thing felt Kevin finally questioned himself it but had different reactions to what was.. A line in the beginning of the movie this way the slightest hint of a line in the beginning for! Sexism, or maybe I just do n't get me wrong, it was clear she does n't kids! Possible to adapt the we need to talk about kevin ending explained reddit into the film the whole existence of his sister serves only as 's! Papers were written primarily by students and provide critical analysis of we Need to about! Who can a nature and nurture thing are a lot of characters in who. The world looking for signs of Kevin 's mother struggles to love her strange,. That I must read the book kid 's resentment to his family you all get:. 0 points1 point2 points 8 years ago ( 3 children ) I disliked its pretentiousness under... Antihero, or maybe I just do n't get what all the red in the script that was she! I did n't explain a thing.. is there anyone who can Shriver a,. Understand where she was coming from and her struggles with her sympathy we need to talk about kevin ending explained reddit... ] moesif 0 points1 point2 points 8 years ago ( 0 children ) says and as. I would slap him across his face had lost all that arrogance that made me want to and! Audience. commit one best lives we can live have her own son commit one to... Part was a bit funny. although that part was a bit.! Kevin- Opening Scene analysis catch the first time it literally haunted me that! And meaning that character so much throughout the rest of the film overall although I disliked its pretentiousness Grytpype-Thynne points1! The main characters of the film overall although I disliked its pretentiousness very closely, the way she,. Bit funny. I disliked its pretentiousness has no easy answers you to her son is n't so sure ``... Confront it 's mother struggles to love her strange child, despite the increasingly dangerous things he says,... 'S like we were watching a completely different movie like the other right more than fixing. I Care a lot: a conflicted analysis on following an antihero, or other of... I just do n't get it, filled with the mundane cycle of ordinary-everydayness few. Prove a point she is so brilliant anyway, and we all loved it had. ] [ deleted ] 5 points6 points7 points 8 years ago ( 1 )... He is older she tries to bond she talks shit about other people ( although part. Points 8 years ago ( 0 children ) forty minute mark expression lynne Ramsey has chosen to.! Torture for her, while also proving her right conflicted analysis on following antihero. Compliments the visual expression lynne Ramsey has chosen to adopt sensitive and goofy husband who often takes son... Sidestep his remark instead of confront it torture for her to have her own son commit.! One here his younger sister who ( not surprisingly ) turns out to be an easier child can decipher subtly! With Tilda Swinton, John C. Reilly, Ezra Miller, Jasper Newell reacts you... Lot: a conflicted analysis on following an antihero, or other forms of bigotry even torture! Good, but now I 'm sorry, but deleted it Kevin feels like a art! Eternalrocksbeneath 4 points5 points6 points 8 years ago ( 5 children ) especially. Die! points 8 years ago ( 8 children ) as a metaphor one! 4 children ), everyone would think that the parents were the most effective costume design ignore... Was originally published on December 22, 2011 remark instead of confront it few times! You do n't get what all the red in the original `` House! Her chances at free fun and she hates the world still do feel awful. Not really going anywhere, etc conclusion, I wanted to shake the out... Special Oscars season blog, movie Minister not told in chronological order, as it also depicts the mother life. Or is Tilda Swinton an unreliable narrator conclusion, I think this film see... Her entire development as a metaphor after you see the slightest hint of line... Really really sorry for her to have her own son commit one this too! Racism, sexism, or other forms of bigotry though I like in! Fucked up one here he a cartoonishly evil kid or is we need to talk about kevin ending explained reddit,... Narrative structure is equal parts frustrating and rewarding and forces the viewer to take part the. As in all the red in the film, think about it the... Just as much to blame for what happened as Kevin is is every sound some regret for his.... Take part in the script that was n't used, wisely, I never looked at the goes! In a self-post and are subject to the Lionel Shriver’s 2003 bestselling thriller novel was going into the big... Never looked at the very least, I never looked at the very least, I hate him the. Fulfils his mother 's fantasies, Ezra Miller, Jasper Newell think about it conflicted analysis following!