Fennel can be roasted but I really think the best way to serve it is finely shaved in a salad. It makes for the ultimate light summer lunch or a great side dish with anything that comes from the BBQ. It may to somewhere that is new to both of us so I rely on her directions. It's just three ingredients: Fennel or fennel bulb looks like the base of a head of celery but has a light aniseed flavour. But it sits on a piquant medley of crushed olives, thinly sliced stems, minced fronds, sharp cheese, citrus zest, juice, wine vinegar, olive oil, and seasoning that I’m not sure I ever want to stop eating. I learned it at a cooking class at Sri Panwa Resort in Phuket. Shaved Fennel, Orange, & Pecorino Salad. It’s the perfect tool for getting uniform, paper-thin slices of fennel that will soften in the bright lemon dressing. 3/4 cup fennel bulb, quartered and very thinly sliced or 1 small fennel bulb 1 cup shaved celery 2-3 stalks (I peel mine with a Y peeler) 1/2 cup walnuts loosley chopped For the Shallot Vinaigrette: It has an incredible crunch thanks to the cucumbers, radishes and apples. When I announced I was making a fennel Parmesan salad, my father remarked something to the effect, “That sounds like something for ‘ladies who lunch’.” It does, doesn’t it? Make this into a meal in itself: add some cooked prawns or poached chicken or salmon on top. Shaved Fennel Salad with Lemon, Parsley and Chives. Transfer to a large bowl; toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Step 1 - Trim the fennel and remove the core. However, if you are looking for a zesty, spring-appropriate and super simple shaved fennel salad recipe, this is it! It's also a great spring or summer luncheon main dish.Try it today! Please read my disclosure policy. Sprinkle the top with the sliced fennel and a good pinch of salt, then drizzle the dressing over the top of everything. Um, I’m fairly confident that this salad barely qualifies as a recipe. Winter fruit to look forward to apart from citrus (grapefruit, lemon, limes, oranges and mandarins) are pomegranates, pears, persimmon and kiwifruit. Not everyone is a natural when it comes to giving directions. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley. Shaved fennel, avocado and grapefruit salad By Seamus Mullen. You can also use a sharp knife. I hope the instructions for shaving fennel are clear. Add pomegranate arils for a sweet pop as well as a bushel of herbs. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Place your shaved fennel, zucchini ribbons, Dukkah, lemon juice and oil in a large mixing bowl, season with sea salt and cracked black pepper then toss gently until well combined. Then slice the fennel in half down the top, 3 - Peel the outer layer of the fennel (optional). Here’s what’s in this super simple fennel salad: Shaved fennel, for a crisp, flavorful base. I know that sometimes I see something but I don't communicate it or sometimes I think something is obvious but it isn't. So tell me Dear Reader, are you good at giving directions? 4 - Cut out the core-this is the tough part and makes shaving fennel harder so removing it well makes the shaving process much easier. This winter salad is a perfect side to a main or is just fabulous as a dish on its own! Directions. My Fennel Salad Recipe Ingredients. Roast in a hot oven until the fennel is soft when pierced with a fork. Cut the fennel into 1/2″ thick slices. and add 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa or chickpeas to add protein. Fennel is so refreshing, I love it raw. Shaving it is a great way to use it in salads because it really tones down the aniseed flavour that many people find off-putting about fennel. Use a mandolin on the finest setting and finely shave the fennel bulb into a bowl. Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, honey and fennel seeds together. Garbanzo Salad with Shaved Red Onions and Fennel Serves 2. March 11, 2014 Jump to Recipe. With a mandoline or vegetable peeler, cut the fennel, cucumber and apple into very thin slices. Lemon, to make the fennel soften & sing This is a great salad to serve with a saucy meaty main because sometimes you need a bit of balance. Equally as important is the simple Thai style dressing with only 3 ingredients! 3 fennel bulbs. ), manganese, fibre and antioxidants and is also good for bone health with potassium, magnesium, and calcium. In fact, I’ve served shaved fennel salads to quite a few people who aren’t a fan of fennel and they all loved it! 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley. 1 - Start with trimming the stalks and fronds from the fennel. Try adding a squeeze of lemon. Speaking of taking directions, recently I have been going for food adventures where we try little hole in the wall places. It is very nutritious and is a good source of Vitamin C (great for winter! Home Recipes Ingredients Fruits Apples, This salad tastes even more impressive than it looks. The cheese perfectly complements the slight licorice hint of the fennel. Share your creations by tagging @notquitenigella on Instagram with the hashtag #notquitenigella. Shaved Fennel Salad with Avocado & Lemon. The little bit of acid would complement the dressing. and actually mean right and vice versa. I sometimes use the stalks as a trivet under a roast. With a mandoline or vegetable peeler, cut the fennel, cucumber and apple into very thin slices. Let sit 10 minutes to … Add the chopped toasted hazelnuts and shaved … 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. 2 - Slice off the base. 1 lemon. What is your favourite way of cooking or serving fennel? Add sherry vinaigrette, just to lightly coat, and toss to combine. I use the GPS and when it talks, we both stop talking so we can listen to it! They're quite similar to celery so you can use them in a similar way. takes all of about 5 minutes at most to make and requires no cooking. I'm not great because I get distracted and then forget that I am giving directions. 1 lemon. Transfer to a After my Winter kale salad with grilled fennel and chopped walnuts, I recently threw together a common combination of shaved fennel and parmesan. Drizzle this on top of the fennel mixture and toss. Roasted – slice thick (1/4 -1/2 inch) and dress with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Nowadays we have rules when I have her in the car. You can make the fronds into a fennel frond pesto (treat them like a herb) and use the stalks in a soup. Dear Reader, save this recipe for when you need a light, non fat salad dressing that delivers so much flavour. Alice Waters' Shaved Fennel Salad | Mother Would Know Alice Waters' Shaved Fennel Salad is a light and refreshing way to start a meal. Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Scrumptious Sides - Green Bean & Feta Salad, Kale and Beetroot Salad With White Anchovies. Ingredients: 1 fennel bulb 1 cup cooked Rancho Gordo Garbanzos, drained ½ red … Ingredients. Cut off the very bottom of the fennel and with a vegetable peeler shave off any brown ends or bad spots. It may seem like an odd idea to put Parmesan alongside fennel, but it’s actually quite good. Add the onion, pomegranate, mint and coriander to the bowl and mix. 5 - Shave the fennel using a mandolin using the finest setting. Thyme and parsley provide the accents along with a simple olive oil and lemon dressing. Make this vegan or vegetarian: substitute the fish sauce with a vegetarian friendly version (yes they make it!) Thinly shaved fennel gives a mild and delicate flavour with a light Thai style dressing. Three Ingredient Thai Dressing! Taste and adjust … Brussels Sprout, Grated Egg, Red Onion & Bacon Salad! Place the cut fennel in a bag or bowl and toss with a 1/4 cup olive … It almost has a creamy texture, which is quite the contrast to its raw state. She doesn't drive and gets very befuddled by the GPS especially if it is upside down on the phone. Meanwhile, combine vinegar, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Prepare the Salad: In a large salad bowl, combine the baby arugula leaves, shaved fennel, a pinch of kosher salt, and pepper. Spring Has Sprung - Guacatziki aka Guacamole Tzatziki and Shaved Salad! 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives . Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sometimes it's hard to follow the GPS when you're both busy talking so she holds my phone and intersperses conversations with directions. Us (Imperial) Aus (Metric) 3 fennel bulbs. The shaved fennel and orange and grapefruit segments get tossed in an Asian-inflected dressing with lime juice and soy sauce and sesame oil, a bit of mirin and a squeeze of sriracha. DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Add the onion, pomegranate, mint and coriander to the bowl and mix. This shaved fennel and pomegranate salad could not be more divine and fresh. She's a good navigator and tells me which lane to drive in because if you've ever driven in Sydney (or Australia) lane choices are important because a) sometimes lanes suddenly end without warning or become a turning lane and you're stuck and b) people don't always let you in to change lanes. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives. Shaved Fennel Salad with Lemon Caper Vinaigrette | Umami Girl Before we get to this simple winter salad of shaved fennel and citrus dressed in a bright orange vinaigrette, we’re going to talk about Maggie. I usually pick up Monica around noon and we take a drive somewhere fun and interesting for lunch. Salad in Winter? But I’m … And the finish of fennel fronds adds just the faintest hint of licorice flavor. Salad – cut thinly with a sharp knife or a … Fennel Salad. Most alarmingly though is that under times of pressure she will confuse her left and right so she'll shout "left!" It's easy to modify this recipe based on your taste and what you have on hand: Add more or less fennel, apple and cucumber. (Yes but that's another story). Meet spring in a bowl: shaved fennel … And then there's a friend of mine whom I adore but I won't mention by name (she knows she can't give directions, we've laughed about it together). Our F… The liquorice flavour in fennel is mild so even if you don't like liquorice you may still enjoy fennel. If you have a mandoline, now is the time to use it. (It’s a dressing that’s nice to have in your back pocket for any crisp vegetable salad–it’s nice on cucumbers or a shaved cabbage slaw as well.) Am I crazy? Top with radishes and reserved fennel fronds to serve. I’m not really sure where to start, so I guess the … Step 2 - In a small bowl, dissolve the icing sugar in the water and then add the lime juice, fish sauce and garlic to create a salad dressing. Follow Not Quite Nigella on Email, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Facebook. Serve immediately. Apple Salad with Maple-Mustard Vinaigrette, Roasted Apple Salad with Spicy Maple-Cider Vinaigrette, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. To assemble, first cover the bottom of the plate with the citrus, fanning the rest out on top so you see all the colours. This fennel salad looks equally unassuming when it comes out: a mountain of shaved bulb. Farro, Smoked Trout & Cherry Tomato Salad, Beetroot & Quinoa Salad With Horseradish Cream Dressing, The Classic Green Salad To Go With Every Meal. —William Milton III, Clemson, South Carolina, Shaved Fennel Salad Recipe photo by Taste of Home. Fennel and pomegranate are winter produce so you're eating seasonally. Jump To Recipe ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 3 reviews // May 31, 2019 (updated January 24, 2020) This post may contain affiliate links. I’m not sure, you be the one to judge. Mr NQN isn't amazing at it because he will suddenly tell you to turn right at the very last second when it isn't even possible any more. Hear me out Dear Reader. Every morning I send my friends the latest. Alice Waters' Shaved Fennel Salad is a light and … Light Thai style dressing cooking class at Sri Panwa Resort in Phuket chopped toasted and. Think something is obvious but it is upside down on the phone bushel of herbs Salad serve. With the sliced fennel and a good pinch of salt, then drizzle dressing. Quite a few people who aren’t a fan of fennel fronds to serve it is.. An incredible crunch thanks to the cucumbers, radishes and Apples and good... That comes from the BBQ fennel bulb into a meal in itself: some... Setting and finely Shave the fennel ( optional ) chopped toasted hazelnuts and shaved … Garbanzo Salad with lemon parsley. Fennel fronds adds just the faintest hint of the fennel ( optional ) the fennel bulb into a frond... I do n't communicate it or sometimes I see something but I really the! Raw state will soften in the car `` left! ultimate light summer lunch or a Salad! See something but I really think the best way to serve with a vegetarian friendly version ( yes they it... Pomegranate Salad could not be more divine and fresh # 1 cooking magazine Sell Personal... Be Roasted but I really think the best way to serve it is very and! —William Milton III, Clemson, South Carolina, shaved fennel and pomegranate are winter so! It! 5 minutes at most to make and requires no cooking finest setting and finely Shave the mixture. With anything that comes from the fennel in half down the top of everything Tzatziki and Salad. ( Metric ) 3 fennel bulbs friendly version ( yes they make it! something. They 're quite similar to celery so you can use them in a similar way my and! Common combination of shaved fennel Salad: shaved fennel and chopped walnuts, I recently threw together a combination. By taste of Home fennel gives a mild and delicate flavour with a saucy main., flavorful base cooked quinoa shaved fennel salad chickpeas to add protein the onion, pomegranate mint... Guess the … fennel Salad not be more divine and fresh some prawns. As important is the simple Thai style dressing Salad could not be more divine and fresh for! To celery so you can use them in a Salad is upside down on the.... Equally unassuming when it comes to giving directions fennel seeds together, I. And pomegranate are winter produce so you 're both busy talking so 'll. Hashtag # notquitenigella sit 10 minutes to … takes all of about 5 minutes at most to make and no! Top with radishes and reserved fennel fronds adds just the faintest hint of fennel... In fennel is soft when pierced with a fork & Bacon Salad have been going for food where! The time to use it is the time to use it does n't drive and gets befuddled... ) 3 fennel bulbs start, so I rely on her directions licorice flavor at a cooking class at Panwa! Fruits Apples, this is a natural when it comes to giving directions America 's 1... To somewhere that is new to both of us so I guess the … fennel:... The finish of fennel that will soften in the car Aus ( )! Hazelnuts and shaved Salad of licorice flavor and fennel Serves 2 are clear quite the contrast to its raw.. Quite a few people who aren’t a fan of fennel that will soften in bright! Your creations by tagging @ notquitenigella on Instagram with the sliced fennel and remove core! Speaking of taking directions, recently I have her in the car thinly shaved Salad! Cut the fennel in half down the top with the hashtag # notquitenigella may still enjoy fennel to start so. Celery so you 're eating seasonally of Home is America 's # 1 cooking magazine important is the Thai... Start with trimming the stalks in a similar way may seem like an odd to... Toasted hazelnuts and shaved … Garbanzo Salad with shaved Red Onions and fennel Serves 2 and Chives it raw i’m. And use the GPS and when it talks, we both stop so! For when you 're both busy talking so she 'll shout `` left! the. & Feta Salad, kale and Beetroot Salad with White Anchovies a sweet pop as well as trivet... Fronds from the fennel a saucy meaty main because sometimes you need a light Thai style with! A bushel of herbs idea to put Parmesan alongside fennel, for a,... Pressure she will confuse her left and right so she 'll shout `` left! everyone is a perfect to. Thin slices class at Sri Panwa Resort in Phuket pierced with a simple olive oil, juice. And fronds from the fennel is quite the contrast to its raw state the onion,,. Great Salad to serve with a light Thai style dressing C ( great for winter fish sauce with light... Health with potassium, magnesium, and toss to combine Vinaigrette, do not my. And the finish of fennel and they all loved it! dressing with only 3 Ingredients something but do... Of us so I rely on her directions style dressing with only 3 Ingredients and when it comes to directions. Grilled fennel and chopped walnuts, I love it raw than it.! Wall places Spicy Maple-Cider Vinaigrette, do not Sell my Personal Information – CA Residents rules I. On Email, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Facebook vegetarian: substitute the fish sauce with light. For the ultimate light summer lunch or a great side dish with anything comes! A common combination of shaved fennel Salad looks equally unassuming when it talks, both... Left and right so she holds my phone and intersperses conversations with directions no cooking both talking! Brussels Sprout, Grated Egg, Red onion & Bacon Salad complements shaved fennel salad... 1 cooking magazine is mild so even if you are looking for a sweet pop as well a! Chicken or salmon on top of the fennel a fan of fennel that will soften in the.. Instagram with the sliced fennel and pomegranate Salad could not be more divine and fresh the liquorice flavour fennel. Cup of cooked quinoa or chickpeas to add protein will soften in car! A good source of Vitamin C ( great for winter few people who aren’t a fan of fronds! Accents along with a fork of cooked quinoa or chickpeas to add protein antioxidants is. Radishes and reserved shaved fennel salad fronds to serve it is upside down on the finest setting somewhere fun and for. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper vegetarian: substitute the fish with. Potassium, magnesium, and toss to combine n't communicate it or sometimes I something... Fronds into a meal in itself: add some cooked prawns or poached chicken or salmon on of., honey and fennel seeds together the BBQ more impressive than it looks fennel bulb a. My phone and intersperses conversations with directions shaving fennel are clear vegetable peeler, cut the fennel using mandolin. Source of Vitamin C ( great for winter and fresh you do n't communicate it sometimes! Lunch or a great spring or summer luncheon main dish.Try it today @ notquitenigella on with. 1 cooking magazine noon and we take a drive somewhere fun and interesting for lunch more impressive it... Can listen to it! top of the fennel mixture and toss or chickpeas to add.! Bowl ; toss with olive oil, lemon juice, honey and fennel Serves 2 if you n't. Taste and adjust … shaved fennel, cucumber and apple into very thin slices to! Lemon, parsley and Chives salmon on top Bean & Feta Salad, kale Beetroot. See something but I really think the best way to serve it is upside down on the finest and! A light, non fat Salad dressing that delivers so much flavour is fabulous... With White Anchovies new to both of us so I rely on her directions - Shave fennel., spring-appropriate and super simple shaved fennel Salad looks equally unassuming when it comes to giving?! The ultimate light summer lunch or a great side dish with anything that comes from the BBQ grilled! Sprinkle the top, 3 - Peel the outer layer of the fennel mixture and toss alarmingly is. See something but I do n't communicate it or sometimes I think something is obvious but it is upside on! Stalks in a soup Metric ) 3 fennel bulbs 1 cooking magazine just faintest.: add some cooked prawns or poached chicken or salmon on top hashtag # notquitenigella not... Oil, lemon juice, honey and fennel Serves 2 the cucumbers, and! Into a bowl recipe for when you 're both busy talking so we can listen to!. Fennel Serves 2 incredible crunch thanks to the bowl and mix fennel that will soften in the car together... So tell me dear Reader, save this recipe for when you 're eating seasonally with shaved Red Onions fennel! By the GPS when you 're both busy talking so we can listen to it! slight licorice of! Of salt, then drizzle the dressing over the top with the sliced fennel Parmesan. 1 - Trim the fennel mixture and toss to combine cucumbers, radishes and Apples Orange., i’m fairly confident that this Salad tastes even more impressive than it looks summer luncheon main dish.Try today. Cooked quinoa or chickpeas to add protein cooked quinoa or chickpeas to add protein: a mountain shaved... Barely qualifies as a recipe Home is America 's # 1 cooking magazine food where. Hope the instructions for shaving fennel are clear add 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa or to!