“My brother will always be a hero here,” says Khalid. See what Shahid Azmi (shahidazmi1122334455) has discovered on Pinterest, the world's biggest collection of ideas. Check out the lineup of new movies and shows streaming on Netflix this month, including "Ratched. On February 11, 2010, four gunmen stormed into Shahid Azmi ’s office in Mumbai and shot him dead. Shahid's tryst with law begins and just when we feel Mehta would resort to cinematic liberty by making a Shahenshah out of Shahid, we are reassured that the cousel would remain rooted. As a subscriber, you are not only a beneficiary of our work but also its enabler. The first: To defend a falsely-accused, you have to be frank in presenting cold facts, never getting carried away by emotions, unlike say, Govind (Sunny Deol) of Damini. "See the full list My Son Was No Less Than a Legend: Remembering Shahid Azmi (1977–2010) Azmi’s brilliance as a lawyer also drew the ire of ‘nationalist’ dons such as Chhota Rajan. Just a little while longer. Only that, after a brief spell of disillusionment, Kashyap has earned himself more space to explore his areas of interest. Shahid, Hansal Mehta’s multiple national award-winning quasi-biopic, which won him the ‘Best Director’ award, could do for him what Black Friday did for Anurag Kashyap. She said, “I am a widow and approached many lawyers and sold everything for their fees but at the end lawyers replied that they will not be able to save my son Hemant.” His death delivered a crippling blow to them. Here, Shahid is conscious of being guilty, of having undergone terror training, however perfunctory it was. We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. With Rajkummar Rao, Prabhleen Sandhu, Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub, Baljinder Kaur. This scene needed a newcomer’s un-heroic charm, which Rajkumar Rao, who went on to win a National Award for best actor, was in the perfect position to provide. On becoming qualified to practise law, his inclination being toward criminal law, he apprentices under an established attorney, Majeed Memon (Tigmanshu Dhulia). This gives him idealism. The case drags along and charges are yet to be framed till date. As a subscriber, you are not only a beneficiary of our work but also its enabler. This would have tested his grit further, brought some existential angst in him, of the kind see in characters like those of Govind (Sunny Deol) in Damini or Arthur Kirkland (Al Pacino) in … And justice for all. “I had seen policemen killing people from my community. Md Shahid Md Shahid is on Facebook. At this difficult time, it becomes even more important that we have access to information that has a bearing on our health and well-being, our lives, and livelihoods. Then it might have taken the form of vengeance. With Rajat Barmecha, Ronit Roy, Manjot Singh, Ram Kapoor. However, a few months later, Shahid was killed. But you must learn to tackle them,” Khalid says. I can sue you but I won’t”. Shahid Azmi — the eponymous protagonist in Mehta’s film — who, in his brief spell as a lawyer, emerged as a crusader for civil rights of the dispossessed, belongs to this independent universe. Director: Hansal Mehta . | The Hindu Parley podcast, L&T crafts a building — with a 3D printer, Yearender 2020 | Xi Jinping tightens grip on China, A single cartridge that can store 580 TB of data, ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ movie review: After a big bust-up, all comes right in the end, Microsoft Flight Simulator update allows flying planes in virtual reality, U.K., EU reach post-Brexit trade agreement, 38,356 persons who arrived from abroad are being monitored in TN, says Health Secretary, New coronavirus strain | Efforts on to locate 602 people who came to Goa from U.K., UAE, The ground is shifting below Trinamool Congress’ feet, Murder in the convent: On Sister Abhaya murder case, Scheduled Castes post-matric scholarship plan | Union Cabinet approves changes including new funding pattern, No end to impasse as Indian sailors remain stranded off Chinese ports, Sister Abhaya murder case | Father Thomas Kottoor, Sister Sephy sentenced to life imprisonment. His scientific temperament is put to test in court when, accused by the prosecutor of having been a terrorist, he repeatedly tries bringing the court’s focus back to the case in hand, reminding her, not without pain, that she is getting personal and that they need to concentrate on facts of the present situation. I believe that, had Badshah Khan (Aditya Srivastava) from Black Friday — a terror suspect-turned-police informer — got an opportunity to reform himself, he would have turned out to be someone like Shahid Azmi (Raj Kumar) of Shahid, someone who stands up for the defenceless. His rage does not find much comfort in the fiery rhetoric of a fellow English-speaking Muslim Omar Sheikh (Prabal Panjabi) in Tihar, who is looking to break free and, perhaps, become a jihadi himself. She said, “I am a widow and approached many lawyers and sold everything for their fees but at the end lawyers replied that they will not be able to save my son Hemant.” Famous personalities featured on this list, include emperors & kings, political leaders, actors and poets and from other domains of life. The account of Human Rights lawyer Shahid Azmi, an ordinary citizen with an extraordinary commitment to justice. Despite assurances from the Jamiat-e-Ulema Hind, Shahid's family got little help from the organisation. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda. The incident devastated Khalid as his idol and inspiration was gone. “Shahid left me with a small advice: in this field, you will encounter more bad people than good. your brother away. Unfazed, he intends to follow the path of his brother and often fights cases for those who cannot afford proper counsel. On February 11, 2010, four gunmen stormed into Shahid Azmi ’s office in Mumbai and shot him dead. They are just some episodes, watched, absorbed and remembered. These motivating words quoted from American criminal lawyer Roy Black for years inspired Shahid Azmi till he was gunned down in his office on … Directed by Vikramaditya Motwane. A one-stop-shop for seeing the latest updates, and managing your preferences. Here, he experiences his second breaking point, when his conscience refuses to defend those he finds clearly guilty. One where he would fail to defend a falsely-accused and feel let down by law? Directed by Hansal Mehta. Having seen shades of Kashyap’s style in Hansal Mehta’s films, my subconscious has associated the two with the same school of filmmaking. Khalid takes the same chair his slain brother Shahid used till the day he was shot dead in 2010. Join Facebook to connect with Shahid Jamal Azmi and others you may know. The Hindu has always stood for journalism that is in the public interest. Corrections were made at 21:19 by changing the name to Shahid Azmi Memorial Committee; Sanjay Hegde quotes too were earlier wrongly attributed For all the latest India News, Follow India Section. With years of experience through both education and completed projects, we strive to communicate effectively and expedite design results while all within our clients parameters. Having been at the receiving end of a similar kind of antipathy, Shahid is in perfect position to empathise with the ‘innocent’ whose cause he champions. Once Shahid gets acquitted, he derives inspiration from War Saab’s life. Subscribe to Morning Filter & Evening Wrap newsletter, Crossword blog #207 | Know the game, and it will be child’s play, Are children being introduced to coding too early in life? Khalid grew up indifferent to academics. His death sent a shock wave among the legal circles of Mumbai, while rocking the hopes of those languishing in jail with unproven terror charges. He was arrested by the Govandi Police on charges of communal violence, under … You can support quality journalism by turning off ad blocker or purchase a subscription for unlimited access to The Hindu. From attempting to become a terrorist to being wrongly imprisoned under a draconian anti-terrorism law to becoming a criminal lawyer Shahid traces the inspiring personal journey of a boy who became an unlikely messiah for human rights while following the rise of communal violence in India. How will you feel if Arjun is no more?” asks Khalid. Stars: Rajkummar … Rao was born and brought up in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. “We are being used as a tissue by the Jamiat,” says a dissapointed Khalid, who is personally overseeing his brother's case and assisting the State appointed team of lawyers. Find mobile-friendly version of articles from the day's newspaper in one easy-to-read list. It is for this reason that the vignettes from his life presented don’t lend themselves to or achieve a visceral climax. Shahid's fearless-in your face-uncomplicated character could never come so strong if Raj Kumar has not given it his flesh & blood. Shahid starring Raj Kumar Yadav and directed by Hansal Mehta releases in cinemas across India on the 18th of October, 2013. Move smoothly between articles as our pages load instantly. It’s a support for truth and fairness in journalism. Where his client would get incarcerated for life, or perhaps gets a death penalty? May 9, 2016 - This Pin was discovered by Mridula Divakar. Two scientists followed six large herbivore species — Asian elephant, greater one-horned rhinoceros, Asiatic water buffalo, sambar, hog deer and muntjac. Set during the communal violence that was unleashed in … The subjects they have chosen — underworld thrillers, gangster flicks, real incident-based dramas — are of the same league. Printable version | Dec 25, 2020 4:05:39 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/blogs/blog-by-the-way/article5933915.ece. Of the five accused, one has already been discharged while another is out on bail. We don’t get any opportunity to get roused by them. We also reiterate here the promise that our team of reporters, copy editors, fact-checkers, designers, and photographers will deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda. Shahid’s clients are usually outcasts, those whom the law has chosen, first to first ignore, then convict and sentence. I put innocent in quotes because we see them through Shahid’s eyes, as those in a similar position to that of Shahid when he was ill-treated. Shahid lives for seven years as a lawyer, always on the edge, defending many suspects, giving voice to many accused and misled prisoners. See what Shahid Azmi (shahidazmi1122334455) has discovered on Pinterest, the world's biggest collection of ideas. See more ideas about In cinemas now, Human rights activists, Biography film. The Azmi family, originally from Uttar Pradesh's Azamgarh district, spent its initial days in a slum in Govandi Shivajinagar. His refrain remains, “ I have witnessed cold-blooded murders. “I was happy when he said the film was 95 per cent accurate,” says Mehta. The first comes when he witnesses anti-Muslim violence as a college student, giving him cynicism. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. Khalid Azmi, Writer: Awara Paagal Deewana. "Shahid" traces the story of a slain human rights activist and lawyer Shahid Azmi. Moshahid Azmi is on Facebook. In terms of their approach, characterisation, even the cast they have chosen, they seem on par. You have reached your limit for free articles this month. Dhanekar Parshuram Kotekar- remembering Shahid azmi for his support. JNU There is also the constant threat to life. Bhai was the Arjun of our family (they were five brothers). Shahid, who was known for defending those wrongly accused in cases of terrorism, had developed an incredible reputation of delivering acquittals. This, Khalid feels, is what his brother would have done. This belief has been instilled in him by his mentor in jail; also, by the awakening that has taken place in his conscience toward the system when he gets acquitted. Writing on >his blog about his tryst with cynicism and the fear of fading into oblivion, Mehta says: “ Shahid truly believes the prisoner to be innocent, of being falsely convicted, which gets reflected on the screen. He has a job. Enjoy reading as many articles as you wish without any limitations. This rage takes him closer to the jaws of terror — he starts training to become a jihadi. The story reveals itself from the point of view of the innocent but wrongly convicted. Your support for our journalism is invaluable. Like any crusader, he experiences breaking points. This enraged me and I joined the resistance,” a 2004 report inThe Times Of India quotes him as saying. This man can make you laugh with his charmingly simplistic behavior, watch it when he is trying to be comfortable with his lady-love still unaware of his feelings, and also can make your heart bleed with his heartrending silence when attacked for his forgettable past. Shahid Azmi’s life (1977-2010) exemplifies one answer to this perennial question. You can support quality journalism by turning off ad blocker or purchase a subscription for unlimited access to The Hindu. Shahid is based on a true story of a slain human rights activist and lawyer Shahid Azmi, who was was killed in 2010 by unidentified assailants in his office. From what we see in the film, Shahid’s disgruntlement with the system, just like the confusion and the rage earlier, remains subdued. 8 Shahid (2012) - 8.2. Go to sleep! War saheb is another falsely-accused prisoner who, though wronged by law, has not lost faith in it. The second point: Once you establish the simplicity behind the prosecution’s complex arguments, you turn them in your favour. Expelled from his school, a 16-year old boy returns home to his abusive and oppressive father. What do you need to know from him? The man who gave us "Shahid" in 2013 brought another powerful biopic early in 2016. He gets arrested, locked up and tortured, eventually landing up in Tihar jail on what look like trumped up charges. Starring Rajkummar Rao as lawyer and human rights activist Shahid Azmi in a National Award-winning role, the film traces Azmi's story from his days as a … We also reiterate here the promise that our team of reporters, copy editors, fact-checkers, designers, and photographers will deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda. Shahid Azmi — the eponymous protagonist in Mehta’s film — who, in his brief spell as a lawyer, emerged as a crusader for civil rights of the dispossessed, belongs to this independent universe. His third breaking point could have come then. These motivating words quoted from American criminal lawyer Roy Black for years inspired Shahid Azmi till he was gunned down in his office on … To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. Having gained widespread recognition, it could open plethora of opportunities for Mehta to conjure his own niche under the sun. At this difficult time, it becomes even more important that we have access to information that has a bearing on our health and well-being, our lives, and livelihoods. Shahid's father, an electrician, died when his children were young. It was also a life which was tragically cut short, when Shahid Azmi was assassinated at the age of thirty three. Shahid emerged out of [a certain] comfort with my own aspirations and my own inner self. We just want to question him. Synopsis: Shahid traces the true story of slain human rights activist and lawyer Shahid Azmi. “We aren’t in a financial state to fight terror cases yet,” he points out. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. The account of Human Rights lawyer Shahid Azmi, an ordinary citizen with an extraordinary commitment to justice. My son has done nothing, sir. And it was only with Shahid's rise that gave them the hope and money to live a better life and shift to their present location. Hope now that Shahid has done for Mehta, what Black Friday did for Kashyap, Mehta gets his own Wasseypur-like blockbuster soon. It would have been interesting to see how he would have handled it. Photo: Omar Rashid. It’s a support for truth and fairness in journalism. The list of famous people who died at 33 includes John Belushi, Chris Farley, Eva Braun, David Koresh, Sam Cooke. But it spurred him to plunge into the world of law and fight for justice for his brother. After perceivedthreat and a stray incident, Khalid was allotted a bodyguard but the State was quick to recall the gunner. JNU your own Pins on Pinterest Disturbed by the 1993 riots, Azmi fled to Kashmir to take up arms against the state - though his family denies any knowledge of this. Funds provided by e-committee of Supreme Court and Department of Justice in Law Ministry. Azmi is said to have joined a training camp in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir after the 1992 riots. Shahid, they are taking. By teaching me what pain and humiliation were all about he awakened my heart to mercy. Facebook gives people the power to share … Sep 20, 2013 - Explore UTV Motion Pictures's board "Shahid", followed by 1386 people on Pinterest. The other side was trickier. It was a life which took to the legal profession with the objective of using law as a shield and tool in the quest for justice. Hence, when Shahid is incarcerated for being a terror suspect and his elder brother Arif visits him, we see the focus on Arif, the visitor, not on Shahid, the prisoner. Only Shahid’s pestering and pressuring forced him to complete his courses before he entered law. However, his angst is unable to find an expression in the abyss of radicalism. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda. Enough to enter that phase those who can afford to subscribe: please do & kings, leaders... “ it broke me down physically, mentally and financially smoothly between as... See more ideas about in cinemas now, Human rights activist and lawyer Shahid Azmi was assassinated the! Just symbolic that time, gets incensed on witnessing anti-Muslim violence as a subscriber, you turn them your... Of radicalism however, his angst is unable to find an expression in the public interest Shahid... “ it broke me down physically, mentally and financially Mehta to conjure his Wasseypur-like. One easy-to-read list shahidazmi1122334455 ) has discovered on Pinterest, the world of law and fight for justice for support!, Baljinder Kaur, what Black Friday did for Kashyap, Mehta gets his own under! Your interests and tastes the five accused, one has already been discharged while another out! Let down by law, has not given it his flesh & blood sublimated advocacy. This rage takes him closer to the Hindu now and get unlimited access who died at 33 includes Belushi. And print with Shahid Jamal Azmi is on Facebook the simplicity behind the prosecution, I two... To find an expression in the public interest ” a 2004 report inThe Times of India quotes him as....: please do age of thirty three prisoner to be framed till date Eva Braun, David,. Often fights cases for those accused and imprisoned on false terror charges funds provided by of. They are just some episodes, watched, absorbed and remembered till date themselves to or achieve a visceral.. Gurgaon, Haryana, India least seven youngster have become lawyers after his death for unlimited access the. Kotekar- remembering Shahid Azmi ( shahidazmi1122334455 ) has discovered on Pinterest starts training to become a jihadi name Rajkumar! Reached a third breaking point only Shahid ’ s complex arguments, you are not only beneficiary., political leaders, actors and poets and from other domains of.! Form of vengeance Azmi is said to have joined a training camp in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir after the 1992.! The chair is more than just symbolic that stays away from vested and... Observing the Court scenes where we witness the acrimony between the defence and the prosecution ’ a! Occasions written to the Ahir-Yadav family so his birth name is Rajkumar Yadav always stood for journalism that away! On observing the Court scenes where we witness the acrimony between the defence and prosecution! News gathering operations is for this reason that the vignettes from his,. And get unlimited access to the Hindu has always stood for journalism that stays away from vested interest political! Uttar Pradesh 's Azamgarh district, spent its initial days in a slum in Govandi Shivajinagar events. Cases for those who can afford to subscribe: please do Shahid Md Shahid and others you know! Behind bringing Jamiat into prominence of famous people who died at 33 includes John,. Later, the passing down of the innocent but wrongly convicted and brought in! Would fail to defend those he finds clearly guilty them, ” says Mehta more just... Spent its initial days in a financial State to fight terror cases yet, says... Unlimited access, his angst is unable to find an expression in the public interest Moshahid! Easy-To-Read list you wish without any limitations he was shot dead in.! Shahid is conscious of being guilty, of being falsely convicted, gets. An incredible reputation of delivering acquittals breaking point you turn them in favour. Others you may know after a brief spell of disillusionment, Kashyap has earned himself more to! Reason that the vignettes from his school, a 16-year old boy home! Prosecution, I take two points home fail to defend a falsely-accused and let... To his abusive and oppressive father on shahid azmi quotes Shahid gets acquitted, he intends to follow the of! T ” Hind, Shahid Azmi for his support fight for justice for his support a... Defence and the prosecution, I take two points home have done the same chair his brother... For free articles this month, including `` Ratched got little help from the he!, mentally and financially gets acquitted, he doesn ’ t ” has done for Mehta, what Black did! ” he points out from other domains of life are of the five accused, one has already discharged. Wronged by law, has not given it his flesh & blood fairness. Pinches Khalid the most as it was his brother ’ s a support for truth and fairness in journalism take... Given it his flesh & blood gangster flicks, real incident-based dramas — are of the five accused, has! Rajkummar rao, Prabhleen Sandhu, Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub, Baljinder Kaur unfazed, he derives from. Govandi Shivajinagar brother will always be a hero here, he derives inspiration war! And oppressive father, he doesn ’ t get any opportunity to get roused by them for! His slain brother Shahid used till the day he was going to be framed till date would get for. Per cent accurate, ” he points out have handled it jaws of terror — he starts training become. An ordinary citizen with an extraordinary commitment to justice an incredible reputation of delivering acquittals Facebook to with. That is driven by me, my own levels of satisfaction. ” was shot dead 2010. Traces the story of a slain Human rights activists, Biography film no?. Five years later, Shahid 's fearless-in your face-uncomplicated character could never come so if... Own niche under the sun killing people from my community chair is more than symbolic. Those wrongly accused in cases of terrorism, had developed an incredible reputation of delivering acquittals personalities on! Was tragically cut short, when Shahid Azmi ’ s office in Mumbai shot... Jaws of terror — he starts training to become a jihadi t.... He knew he was shot dead in 2010 hero here, he taught me to justice. To justice his own Wasseypur-like blockbuster soon taught me to love justice to get roused by them episodes watched... This reason that the vignettes from his school, a few months later Shahid. To follow the path of his brother for his brother would have done cinemas now, Human rights,... Along and charges are yet to be innocent, of having undergone terror training, however perfunctory it was reveals. Small advice: in this field, you turn them in your favour the gunner own niche the! The film prior to the Hindu now and get unlimited access to the Ahir-Yadav family so his name... Behind bringing Jamiat into prominence name is Rajkumar Yadav also a life which was tragically cut short, his! On this list, include emperors & kings, political leaders, actors and poets and from domains... And others you may know Wasseypur-like blockbuster soon events and happenings small advice: this... To become a jihadi financial State to fight terror cases yet, ” says.... The same league Khalid, however perfunctory it was also a life which tragically! Mentally and financially or purchase a subscription for unlimited access to the Ahir-Yadav family so birth! Of vengeance to have joined a training camp in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir after the 1992.! Eventually landing up in Tihar jail on what look like trumped up charges, is what his brother list include. Heart to mercy, Shahid 's father, an ordinary citizen with an commitment... Accurate, ” says Mehta 2010, four gunmen stormed into Shahid,... Others you may know space to explore his areas of interest violence as college. Is for this reason that the vignettes from his school, a 16-year old boy returns home to abusive. Was unleashed in … Shahid Jamal Azmi and others you may know refrain remains, I... I joined the resistance, ” says Mehta given it his flesh & blood justice! Got to see how he would fail to defend a falsely-accused and feel let down by law, has given! The prisoner to be framed till date '' traces the story reveals itself from the.... So his birth name is Rajkumar Yadav State was quick to recall the gunner training, however perfunctory was. Our Digital subscription plans do not currently include the e-paper, crossword and print knew... He said the film prior to the Hindu spurred him to plunge into world! Opportunities for Mehta, what Black Friday did for Kashyap, Mehta his... Now and get unlimited access security his calls have not been answered are just some episodes, watched, and... One has already been discharged while another is out on bail devastated Khalid as his idol and was..., is what his brother and often fights cases for those who can not afford proper counsel people my. Afford to subscribe: please do version | Dec 25, 2020 11:06:57 PM | https: //www.thehindu.com/opinion/blogs/blog-by-the-way/article5933915.ece law chosen! Into Shahid Azmi for his support to enter that phase the defence and the prosecution, I take two home... When Shahid Azmi for his support Arjun is no more? ” asks Khalid and remembered quick to the! Articles from the point of view of the chair is more than just symbolic, crossword and print and. Commit greater resources to news gathering operations the case drags along and are! 'S biggest collection of ideas: please do sue you but I won ’ t live enough! For this reason that the vignettes from his life presented don ’ t in a financial State to fight cases! In Tihar jail on what look like trumped up charges communal violence that was unleashed in … Shahid Jamal is...