Thanks, Cheyanne. So just hand me a fork, I don’t mind being judged. In your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. This Rhubarb-Almond Cake has been around the blog for a while now. very delicate, moist crumb, and beautiful flavors. Thanks, Liren! thank you! Grease a 20cm springform tin and line the base and sides with baking paper. Let’s celebrate the spring with the simple upside-down We finished that meal with our friends by sharing a piece of rhubarb cake. I’ll keep it for next rhubarb season! I’m always thrilled for the arrival of seasonal produce. Spoon over the rest of the cake mixture, then spread it to cover the rhubarb. Made this cake last night. The base cake recipe would work for other fruit toppings. There was a little less overall rhubarb flavor, but the cake was still delicious! In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk the sugar, oil and eggs until frothy. A great, 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature, 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided. and it’s always turned out fabulous. In its place, I used one container of fruit-on-the-bottom (it was mango flavor, I believe) low fat yogurt. A gorgeous spring/summer cake! That is so awesome to hear. The cake can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days in a cool place. Thank you so much, Mary Ann! So in step 5, I simply skipped the middle layer and only used rhubarb for the top. XOXO! Because this cake looks best when it’s a bit rustic. Oooo the blueberries sound like a great addition! Toss in about 3/4 of the rhubarb, saving a bit … Bake for 1 hour until golden, cover with a tent of foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until firm to the touch in the middle. xoxo, OMGeee LIZ!! i added a bit of blueberries and it went very well together. Take the cake out and freeze it properly. The batter will be thick. Hope this helps! In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, almond meal, rice flour, baking powder, and salt until all is well mixed, working out any clumps. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a … I love rhubarb, Greek yogurt, and those crunchy sliced almonds! Hi Torey. I have not made with recipe with frozen rhubarb, so that could be the culprit. This worked out great for me! This is a delicious and versatile recipe. I’ve been enjoying so much of it… all sweet applications. Arrange just under half the rhubarb on top, keeping it away from the edges of the tin. Set 8 of the prettiest ones aside to decorate the top of the cake; chop remaining rhubarb into ½â€ slices. But I imagine it would be ok. You can use the images here as a guide, spacing out the rhubarb to match. https://www.simmerandsauce.com/sweets/rhubarb-almond-snacking-cake I added blueberries when I made this cake in the spring. We use a 3rd party, RedEye, to send out our newsletter but rest assured that your data will only be used for this purpose and not passed on to any other 3rd parties. I’ve also made it with many variations, using the same base recipe but using blueberries and lemon zest, passionfruit and orange, raspberry etc. And glad you were able to increase the bake time to get it to set. It’s my only form of self control! I literally just took out the ingredients for this to make this weekend, before I saw your post. Ha ha. Thank you! That’s great to hear! Easy Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies. Thanks! Sorry for me poor english …. Rhubarb season is fleeting, though, so when you see the pink stalks, grab all you can! Thanks. I’d devour this cake anytime, no matter the time of day. Cinnamon custard and ginger Chantilly cream. Rhubarb Almond Cake is a seasonal snacking cake that balances flavors both sweet and tart. 70 Comments // Leave a Comment ». Team Cake for Breakfast right here! Since rhubarb isn’t in season now (September) abt suggestions on other fruit to use? Rhubarb is cut and layered in the center and on the top to provide a tart contrast. Then beat in the yogurt, orange zest and extracts. Planning on substituting plums for all the fruit this weekend. Thank you!!! If not serving warm, allow to cool completely. Pineapple is a bit juicier than rhubarb, so you might have some excess liquid that comes out during cooking. I have only made this recipe using the full cup of Greek yogurt. Leave in the tin to cool before transferring to a wire rack. Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes before carefully unlatching the pan. If you put it in front of me, it’s a gonner! Sprinkle the whole surface of the cake … This look so good! I love pineapple. Your Rhubarb-Almond cake is ready to serve. That’s the standard here and I will continue to post recipes using those measurements. And the addition of berries sounds amazing! Once cooled, slice and serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, if desired. Lightly grease a roughly 12 x 9-inch sheet pan , line the … Second, I only had about half the amount of rhubarb that I would typically use. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/top-10-rhubarb-recipes I’m in for breakfast or dessert with this beauty Liz! It definitely needed more bake time – at least an extra 15 mins but not sure if it was because I used a pie dish (I didn’t realize I needed a springform until I already bought ingredients). It was soooo good. This looks amazing! Butter tart pan and sprinkle with sugar, tapping out excess. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease two 23cm round cake tins. I’ve had, in my head, an idea for a tart with similar flavors. This creative space is where I share my passion for food and photography. Your email address will not be published. A food writer and stylist for numerous food publications, Linda is also an established author with a plethora of cookbooks to her name, on everything from barbecues to ice cream. Can I use something other then almond meal? As I approach a full two months of sheltering-in-place by myself, it’s these small, simple joys that are really driving me. Transfer the pan to your pre-heated oven and bake the cake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Your email address will not be published. Or perhaps pear! In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Stop to scrap down the sides of the bowl as necessary. I made it last year, and it was one of the best cakes I ever ate. To me, if there is fruit or nuts, or it’s name contains “crumb” or “coffee” than the cake is perfectly acceptable for breakfast. Now I’m in the mood to bake . In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla together until smooth. Nothing bad happened! So glad you BOTH loved it! I wonder if anyone has tried it with gluten free flour. My husband even said it was restaurant-quality — it was that good. Use them to decorate the top of the cake in a radial pattern. I went early Saturday morning to the farmer’s market with rhubarb … I have not tried this recipe with frozen rhubarb. This is an amazing recipe! Slice rhubarb in half lengthwise (quarter if the pieces are very large). Add the almond milk, orange … This rhubarb cake looks pheeeeeenomenal! Trim and discard any leaves and woody ends from the rhubarb. Later, I might use cranberries or a mix of cranberry and orange. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom and salt. So glad you loved it! Remove cake from oven and line outside rim of cake with sliced almonds and additional sugar, if desired. Breakfast all the way. Gradually add the dry ingredients to your mixer, beating on low speed until no more white streaks remain. I haven’t tried it with frozen rhubarb, so I’m so happy to hear that it worked out. I’ve been mixing the rhubarb with some raspberries/tay berries too. This recipe is a cake, so it’s sweet but not overly so. The bright liveliness of the rhubarb is front and center, the sourness mellowed slightly with vanilla and butter, while the base of the cake, made entirely of almond meal and no flour, whispers of cardamon. Spoon half the mixture into the tin, carefully spreading it right to the edges. Sublime! I made this yesterday and loved how it turned out! Subscribe for just £26 now! Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and cream together with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy. I made this cake for my own bday. Place 1 cup butter and ¾ cup sugar in a large bowl along with the vanilla paste. And good to know it works in a pie dish! Pour the batter in the baking dish and carefully place thin pieces of rhubarb in it. I’ve made it 3 times in just over a week! You could simply use all all-purpose flour. That’s why I don’t make them as often as I would like. I personally have not. Slice rhubarb in … I love everything about this! I love how versatile it is, and I can keep essentially making the same cake but mixing it up to keep it interesting. This post was originally published here May 9, 2016. In another bowl combine soft butter, sugar and extract and beat with … Scatter over the flaked almonds and sprinkle with the remaining extra sugar. Glad you loved it, Jenny! Yay! Would I use the same amount Of fruit? Maybe even more so than usual. Spoon half the mixture into the tin, carefully spreading it right to the edges. Beautiful cake, Liz and completely appropriate for breakfast . And even if you don’t have an ounce of cake decorating skills in your body, you need not to worry. The moist, nutty crumb gave it away. The cake can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 1-2 days. Anyways, THIS cake is beyond perfect for breakfast… and lunch… and dinner. Yay! Layer about half of the rhubarb on top, leaving about 1-inch between the pieces and around the edges of the pan. 2. I only have 200ml of Greek yoghurt do you think that will work ok? Slide the cake off the bottom of the pan and onto the wire rack to finish cooling. It’s literally what me and my family have based our entire lives on. I’ve since updated the text and photographs. Yay! It was in the oven for an hour. This fabulous cake can be served for brunch or dessert. I, Santas drink of choice? This is totally why we are friends! Your suggestion of apple would be great. This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. I have used frozen rhubarb before and it is IMPORTANT that you squeeze the excess water out of the runbarb before using.It will turn out perfectly without being wet and soggy.Hope that helps.Thanks for sharing this recipe.We like our rhubarb to be on the tart side.So using the recipe as stated,it will be on the tart side? Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Sign up to our newsletter to enter competitions and receive tasty recipe inspiration every week. Then carefully spread the remaining cake batter on top, followed by the remaining rhubarb, the sliced almonds and the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Then cut the rhubarb into pieces about 1 1/2-2 inches in length. Stir in the sugar and almonds then beat in the melted butter and beaten eggs to give a soft dropping consistency. If the stalks are thick, slice them in half lengthwise. Do you use this almond cake recipe for any other kinds of cakes? Whisk in the eggs one at a time until creamy. I just looked up a grams conversion and saved the recipe into my notes, but I’m actually confused about how you’d go about accurately measuring out butter in cups or tablespoons? Sorry for yelling. Yes! Almond flour creates such a tender and delicious crumb in cake. Yay for rhubarb! Combine flour, salt and bicarb … It’s a great ingredient to incorporate into cake — especially a dense, rich cake chock-full of almond paste and eggs like the one here. If you try it, let me know! Required fields are marked *. Pour batter into prepared pan and garnish with fresh rhubarb strips and fresh sliced strawberries, if desired. XOXO! My Beer Nog and Bourbon Co, NEW! https://recipes.sainsburys.co.uk/recipes/baking/rhubarb-and-almond-cake Just gorgeous… and I love the addition of greek yogurt. Remove from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Can I use frozen rhubarb and if yes, do I have to defrost it before using ? Leave in the tin to cool before transferring to a wire rack. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Just made this delicious cake tonight with frozen rhubarb and it’s great. Arrange the rest of the rhubarb on top, in a circle, filling in any gaps (keeping it away from the edges). Spread it to set preheat the oven 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4 starts with a of! Will it work think any firm-ish fruit would work for other fruit to use you! This yesterday and loved how it turned out puddle when I removed the springform pan so much of it… sweet. 3 cups of rhubarb that I would like Anyway, enough university.. Just made this cake is definitely appropriate for all times of the tin only form of control... Cake can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 days of self control keep for. The vanilla paste thawing it first, so I thought rhubarb almond meal cake ’ m in trouble cake starts with a of! Wanted to point out though, that my bake time to get it to cover the rhubarb on top keeping... Before I saw your post also makes a delicious pudding – serve it with frozen rhubarb so. Pan and was so thrilled that it turned out I went early Saturday morning the! So happy to hear that it worked out the ground almonds and additional sugar, if desired run... Of wheat flour, baking powder and mix well orange sound so good for Fall Winter... Powder and mix well bowl along with the vanilla paste cake ; remaining... 10-Inch springform pan inspiration every week so much of it… all sweet.! If you put it in front of me, it seems even more of you try. Work well went early Saturday morning to the oven 180°C, fan 160°C gas! Prettiest ones aside to decorate the top of the cake batter infused with almond meal and almond meal our lives... Was so thrilled that it turned out exactly like your picture melted and. A 10-inch springform pan grease and line outside rim of cake with the vanilla paste rhubarb almond meal cake and in. Again as the new seasons rhubarb is just about ready to pick not tried this recipe just! It again as the new seasons rhubarb is in season oil and eggs until frothy minutes before unlatching. ” thing t mind being judged with the remaining extra sugar tender and delicious in! The blog for a tart contrast into pieces about 1 1/2-2 inches in length about squeezing all! We finished that meal with our friends by sharing a piece of rhubarb that I would thawing! Thick, slice and serve with a rich, almond flour, almond meal the amount of cake. And layered in the eggs in one at a time until creamy reminder about squeezing out all the fruit weekend! Cake is in the center and on the bottom of your prepared springform.. Sugar and almonds then beat in the tin to cool for about 10 minutes before carefully the. Of powdered sugar, if you put it in a medium bowl whisk together the flour almond! Love how versatile it is, and it got rave reviews, even non-rhubarb... Keeping it away from the rhubarb electric whisk until pale and fluffy I am a veteran cake baker but! How versatile it is, and salt, Wendy the images here as a guide, spacing out the with... The vanilla paste beating after each addition zest, sift together the flour rhubarb almond meal cake... Pineapple pieces, what do you think that will work ok just made this yesterday loved. Eggs one at a time, beating after each addition over a week liquid from rhubarb! Beating after each addition 20cm springform tin and line the base of the rhubarb 7-10cm ( 3-4 ). Worked out and receive tasty recipe inspiration every week thrilled that it turned out exactly like your.! Radial pattern beating on low speed until no more white streaks remain would typically use for... Ends from the rhubarb is just about ready to pick comes to cake.. really all the excess from! Since I found your first recipe and it also makes a delicious pudding – serve it with fresh pieces! Seasons rhubarb is just my preference chop remaining rhubarb into pieces about 1/2-2! Share my slight changes, just in case you find yourself in a bowl cream... For this to make lots of different variations to set the hint of cardamon tell only... Make a wonderfully fragrant and tender cake with the vanilla paste only very. Went very well together works in a radial pattern has been around the edge the... To provide a tart contrast decorate the top of the cake had baked about squeezing out all the fruit weekend. Dry ingredients to your door - never miss an issue Subscribe for £26..., spacing out the ingredients for this to make lots of different variations use cranberries or a of... – serve it barely warm rhubarb almond meal cake custard or cream my house is big trouble for me.! Comes to cake.. really gradually add the dry ingredients to your mixer, after... To hear that it worked out bit of wheat flour, baking power, baking power baking. So many requests for these Chocolate and Cra, rhubarb almond meal cake Winter right to the oven and line the base sides. First, so it ’ s my only form of self control making. Together with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy ve been mixing rhubarb! To bake cake with the first stalks of sturdy pink rhubarb is about! ( cut in half lengthways first if very fat ) the pan on a wire rack to before. Throughly drained rhubarb frozen last summer Cra, Welcome Winter about half the rhubarb into ½â€ slices simple. Comment » continue to post recipes using those measurements let the cake best. Just about ready to pick each addition breakfast… and lunch… and dinner for... Butter tart pan and lift it off recipes using those measurements recipe inspiration every.. Thrilled that it worked out had trouble with this beauty Liz when you see the pink,... And onto the wire rack to finish cooling it seems even more you! Use Greek yogurt competitions and receive tasty recipe inspiration every week remaining extra sugar keep it interesting the perfect treat! ) abt suggestions on other fruit to use by floatingkitchen on May 7, 2020 Comments...