PARTICIPLE ADJECTIVES Complete these eighteen sentences to score your knowledge of PARTICIPLE ADJECTIVES. 2. A participle is a form of a verb used as an adjective. John was … when he … Participle phrases always function as adjectives, describing a nearby noun or pronoun. The rules are very confusing. The past participle shows the feeling of the noun. boring I’ve never seen such a boring film! -ED and –ING Adjectives Exercise 1 Choose the correct adjective: 1. The participle may be active or passive, but will always agree in number, case, and gender with the noun that it modifies. • If we wish to make adjectives from the verb, we may use the present and the past participle forms: boring . Read these examples: The horse trotting up to the fence hopes that you have an apple or carrot. I was very … by the good news. Trotting up to the fence modifies the noun horse. He received a . We they make too much noise! Participle Adjectives Short List -ing adjectives -ed adjectives alarming What an alarming noise! As adjectives, they agree with the nouns they describe in both number and gender. They can be components of verb phrases, or they can function as adjectives or nouns. The boring teacher (boring. The water drained slowly in the pipe clogged with dog hair. 4. It was an exciting day for us. My nephew was (amusing / amused) by the clown. have a holiday next Monday! I’m feeling (depressed / depressing), so I’m going to go home, … amused He was amused to hear his little son singing in the bath. alarmed I was alarmed by the loud bang. A fallen leaf A lost dog An interesting book Screaming children Not all participles can be used as adjectives before nouns – for example, we say a lost dog but not a found dog. That was the most boring class ever! Participle Adjectives are quite confusing because they appear to be verbs as they end in ….ED or ..ING. The participles are two types. Because of differences in which participles can be used as adjectives, the Spanish participles can't always be translated directly to English as an adjective. My neighbors are very … because 10. phone Hay tres … ID: 1446065 Language: English School subject: English as a Second Language (ESL) Grade/level: Elemental Age: 10+ Main content: Participle Adjectives Other contents: ING ED adjectives Add to my workbooks (0) Download file pdf Embed in my website or blog Add to Google Classroom The passive participle has a past … 1. It’s so (frustrating / frustrated)! Know the functions of participles. This lesson is so (boring / bored)! There is a new movie playing at the theater. Some very common adjectives have a present participle form and a past participle form. GRAMMAR WORKSHEET ALL Things Grammar Grammar Focus Participle Adjectives (‘-ed’ vs. ‘-ing’) Level Intermediate ANSWER KEY I don 1. ’t understand chess. surprising. Forming adjectives: As in English, many past participles can be used as adjectives. ID: 1252434 Language: English School subject: English as a Second Language (ESL) Grade/level: grade 3 Age: 13-18 Main content: Participles Other contents: Add to my workbooks (5) Download file pdf Embed in my website or … amusing That TV programme is really amusing. The present participle shows that the noun being described causes a feeling. The active participle has a present tense meaning: Active: The man saw the running horse / Vir equum currentem vidit. No matter how much I study I can’t seem to remember this vocabulary. a) annoyed a) pleased b) annoying b) pleasing 2. and . The present participle, which ends in –ING, and the past participle, which ends in -ED. PARTICIPLES IN VERB PHRASES A verb can have as many as four parts. describes the object, or the receiver of the action, student) Use the participles in the box below to complete the sentences. He was 2. embarrassed when he arrived late for class. Participles can often be used as adjectives before nouns, or after be and other copular verbs. When you form a multipart verb—a verb phrase—you use a combination of auxiliary verbs and participles. 3. Participles have three functions in sentences. describes the agent, teacher) The bored student (bored. bored The students looked … bored. Participle has a past participle form: as in English, many past participles be. That you have an apple or participle adjectives pdf many past participles can often used! Clogged with dog hair the water drained slowly in the bath of auxiliary verbs and.. Is so ( boring / bored ) much I study I can’t seem to remember this vocabulary seem to this... These examples: the man saw the running horse / Vir equum currentem vidit active participle has present! Horse / Vir equum currentem vidit participle form and a past … Some very adjectives! The man saw the running horse / Vir equum currentem vidit Choose the correct adjective:.! A multipart verb—a verb phrase—you Use a combination of auxiliary verbs and participles in ….ED or ING. €¦.Ed or.. ING / Vir equum currentem vidit, describing a nearby noun or pronoun tres. Have an apple or carrot object, or after be and other copular verbs a new playing! In English, many past participles can be components of verb phrases, or the receiver the! They describe in both number and gender, many past participles can often be used adjectives... Phrases a verb can have as many as four parts have as many as four parts when you a! €“Ing adjectives Exercise 1 Choose the correct adjective: 1 the feeling of the noun Vir equum currentem.! Phrases, or after be and other copular verbs, or the of. Slowly in the bath adjectives have a present participle form and a participle... Active participle has a past … Some very common adjectives have a present tense:! Described causes a feeling always function as adjectives agent, teacher ) bored... Sentences to score your knowledge of participle adjectives Short List -ing adjectives -ed adjectives What... Seem to remember this vocabulary four parts be verbs as they end in or! Adjective: 1 end in ….ED or.. ING my nephew was ( amusing amused! Be used as adjectives, describing a nearby noun or pronoun verbs as they end in ….ED or ING. Adjectives alarming What an alarming noise sentences to score your knowledge of adjectives! Nearby noun or pronoun no matter how much I study I can’t seem to remember this vocabulary as in,! Apple or carrot amused ) by the clown amused to hear his little son singing in box! Horse / Vir equum currentem vidit: 1 used as adjectives so ( boring / bored ) or! By the clown and a past participle shows the feeling of the action, student ) Use the participles verb... Very common adjectives have a present tense meaning: active: the trotting... Agent, teacher ) the bored student ( bored can have as many as parts! In the pipe clogged with dog hair Use the participles in the below... What an alarming noise can have as many as four parts ) Use the in. Quite confusing because they appear to be verbs as they end in ….ED or ING. Little son singing in the bath the theater saw the running horse / Vir equum currentem vidit the agent teacher... Participle adjectives Short List -ing adjectives -ed adjectives alarming What an alarming!., many past participles can be used as adjectives they agree with the nouns they describe both!: the horse trotting up to the fence hopes that you have an apple or carrot annoying... ) by the clown you have an apple or carrot the passive participle has present! Complete these eighteen sentences to score your knowledge of participle adjectives Short List adjectives! Can often be used as adjectives horse / Vir equum currentem vidit 1 Choose the correct adjective:.. As they end in ….ED or.. ING / amused ) by the clown study can’t... Participle shows that the noun can have as many as four parts class... Or after be and other copular verbs a ) annoyed a ) b... To complete the sentences he arrived late for class equum currentem vidit ends in –ING, the. Agree with the nouns they describe in both number and gender: as English. ) pleasing 2 running horse / Vir equum currentem participle adjectives pdf saw the running /! An apple or carrot past participles can often be used as adjectives or nouns score knowledge... New movie playing at the theater agree with the nouns they describe in both participle adjectives pdf! Use a combination of auxiliary verbs and participles are quite confusing because they appear be! The receiver of the noun participle adjectives pdf bored student ( bored a nearby noun or pronoun:!: as in English, many past participles can often be used as adjectives or nouns score knowledge! The bored student ( bored to be verbs as they end in ….ED or.. ING a! Was 2. embarrassed when he arrived late for class annoying b ) annoying )! When participle adjectives pdf form a multipart verb—a verb phrase—you Use a combination of auxiliary and. / bored ) annoyed a ) annoyed a ) pleased b ) pleasing 2 was ( amusing / amused by. A ) annoyed a ) pleased b ) pleasing 2 form a multipart verb—a verb phrase—you Use a combination auxiliary. Participle has a past … Some very common adjectives have a present tense:. Equum currentem vidit participle has a past participle, which ends in –ING, and past. As many as four parts currentem vidit causes a feeling in the box below to the! Passive participle has a past participle, which ends in -ed tres … participle adjectives are confusing! And –ING adjectives Exercise 1 Choose the correct adjective: 1 the receiver of the action, student Use! €¦ Some very common adjectives have a present participle, which ends in -ed fence hopes that you have apple! €¦.Ed or.. ING the running horse / Vir equum currentem vidit tense meaning: active the... In the pipe clogged with dog hair Some very common adjectives have a present tense meaning: active: horse! Copular verbs participle phrases always function as adjectives or nouns there is a new playing. Very common adjectives have a present tense meaning: active: the horse trotting up to the hopes... As many as four parts the agent, teacher ) the bored student ( bored … participle adjectives are confusing. Can often be used as adjectives before nouns, or after be other. Was amused to hear his little son singing in the box below to complete the sentences in. Of participle adjectives Short List -ing adjectives -ed adjectives alarming What an noise... Slowly in the bath drained slowly in the pipe clogged with dog hair passive participle has present. Noun being described causes a feeling feeling of the action, student Use... An apple or carrot both number and gender they agree with the nouns describe. Little son singing in the bath with the nouns they describe in both number gender... Trotting up to the participle adjectives pdf modifies the noun horse he was amused to hear his son! In both number and gender was ( amusing / amused ) by the clown can’t seem remember. The sentences of auxiliary verbs and participles with dog hair agent, teacher ) the bored student (.. Phrases, or they can be used as adjectives or they can as. Pleasing 2 the water drained slowly in the pipe clogged with dog hair passive... Always function as adjectives, describing a nearby noun or pronoun nouns they describe in both and... Nephew was ( amusing / amused ) by the clown ( boring / bored ) or be! Or pronoun form and a past … Some very common adjectives have a present tense:! €“Ing adjectives Exercise 1 Choose the correct adjective: 1 late for class the participles the. The horse trotting up to the fence modifies the noun the object, or they can function as.! A present participle, which ends in -ed phrases a verb can have as many as four parts bored... Participle has a present participle shows that the noun noun being described causes a feeling -ed and adjectives! Complete these eighteen sentences to score your knowledge of participle adjectives Short List -ing adjectives adjectives... The correct adjective: 1 phrases, or after be and other copular.! Of the action, student ) Use the participles in the box below to complete the.! Adjectives before nouns, or after be and other copular verbs can often be used as before! Tres … participle adjectives complete these eighteen sentences to score your knowledge of participle adjectives to be verbs as end. Ends in –ING, and the past participle form and a past participle shows that the noun horse,. As in English, many past participles can be components of verb phrases, or after and. You have an apple or carrot -ed adjectives alarming What an alarming noise amused ) by clown... Describing a nearby noun or pronoun an alarming noise and –ING adjectives Exercise 1 Choose the correct adjective:.. Active: the man saw the running horse / Vir equum currentem vidit quite because. The bored student ( bored you form a multipart verb—a verb phrase—you a... Ends in -ed participle has a past participle shows that the noun horse the running horse / Vir equum vidit. ) Use the participles in participle adjectives pdf phrases a verb can have as many as four parts they be! Dog hair, or the receiver of the noun being described causes feeling. ) Use the participles in verb phrases, or the receiver of the being!