It’s partly why we use medium or dark roast coffees to make espresso. Most people fall into two streams of thought: Dark roast coffee tastes stronger, therefore it must have more caffeine. A dark roast has very little acidity and a much bolder taste. LIGHT ROAST = HEAVY CAFFEINE. There are a handful of beans that can still maintain SOME of their unique flavor after being charred. A shorter roast time and low temp can yield a light roast. There is something so refreshing about a light roast, though. We used to roast Sumatra three different ways. I've started drinking lighter roasts, as I have found it has a much richer flavour. However, there are several other factors that can affect the taste you can expect from your coffee. There’s a good toast analogy: if you put your toaster on maximum, what are you eating? More personal tastes than bean dependant. Press J to jump to the feed. There is a popular myth that dark roasted coffee beans will eventually have higher caffeine than light roast. Light Roast Coffee vs Dark Roast Coffee. As a result, each particle of ground light roast contains more caffeine than a particle of ground dark roast. So the big question is if dark roasts taste better than light roasts. Who's to argue with that. Thank you for all the great advice, light roast is definitely for me. Common Misconceptions. 40+ years roasting, the best roast temperature depends upon the bean. Tobacco, leather, rich vanilla. In Southern Mexico, the cultural coffee recipe is a very, very dark roasted coffee, a lot of cream and a lot of sugar - it's a tan colored mixture. It's true you can cook acid out of coffees, but coffees already exist everywhere on the flavor spectrum even at the lightest fully developed roasts. Light roast beans see the lowest temperatures and are lightest in … Getting a lot of anecdotal opinions in the comments here and wanted to emphasize the above comment by /u/marcorocchio. Light roast and dark roast coffee can be very different in taste, flavor, body and complexity, because different amounts of roasting produces distinct sets of amazing characteristics. You just know what you like. Medium roasts reach a temperature of between 400 to 430 degrees F, and … You are literally burning away organic compounds in the roast. Wow—this is a big one. Even the best medium roasts are intolerable imo and most North American style light roasts are barely passable. This rich roast profile is incredibly popular, but lately light roasts have started to get traction. Both contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, but one brew takes the win, says a new study. The dark roast flavour tends to be deeper and darker. Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. Melange = A melange is a mixture of roast levels, light to dark, usually 25% light end, 50% middle range, and 25% dark end of the spectrum for the same bean. A light roast coffee will have a more pronounced acidity than a dark roast, and will have nicely developed flavours which reflect their region of origin. Or is that just my personal preference? Light Roast vs. As a result, lighter roasts of coffee are known to have a more complex flavour profile, often featuring a subtle sweetness, fruity tanginess, and floral aromas, depending on their origin. Here’s the light roast vs. dark roast breakdown: Drinking “strong” dark roast coffee was the sign of a seasoned, hardened palette. Flipside: Ethiopia coffees can taste like rubber if you roast too dark. There are shit dark roasts and georgeous dark roasts, same for light roasts. That's like me saying "if you enjoy IPAs, except you don't like the bitterness so you opt for a NE IPA that is more juice-forward, it's possible you just like fruit juice, not beer." Dark-Dark or Espresso Roast = It’s as dark as we can go without burning the bean. I’ve found that different beans lend themselves to different roasts. Dark Roast. Light roast vs. dark roast coffee has been a recent struggle in the market. Difference in flavor notes is usually chocolate/earth v berry/floral. Flavors are masked at the beginning of drinking because our mouths aren't designed to detect taste at high temperatures, so the actual taste of the coffee is that spot when it's still warm, but not hot. Every individual responds to caffeine differently, but humans generally have taken a liking to this interesting compound that’s found naturally in coffee (both the cherry and seed! Currently I'm enjoying Peet's "Costa Rica Aurora", which blends Kenyan and Costa Rican beans. It’s a shame but a fact of life when your volume gets too high. Flavour isn’t the only difference among roast profiles. Light roasts have a toasted grain taste and pronounced acidity. Contrary to popular belief, light roast coffee has a little bit more caffeine than dark roast – but really, the difference is negligible. When equal volumes are measured, the light roast … Light roast coffee is “less roasted”, so there’s more natural caffeine in-tact. Light roast coffee has a grainy, more acidic taste, more closely resembling the raw green coffee bean. Misinformation was rampant - along with terrible coffee. That said, it is very easy to overdo it, and I do not take sugar in my coffee except when it's reallllllllllly bad and I'm in need. Currently I’ve been LOVING allegro coffee roasters. But it’s very common for people to trend toward light roasts the more they get into the hobby. /r/ Coffee is a place to discuss any and all things coffee. Am I crazy , or are lighter roasts way better? One was a component of our espresso blend and then we had two different variations that were sold as single origin. Am I crazy, or are lighter roasts way better? I would argue that if you enjoy dark roasts, except you don’t like the bitterness so you add milk and sugar and syrup ... it’s possible you just like milk and sugar and syrup, not coffee. If you've been confused by roast levels recently, it's not just you. After drinking dark roast for decades I've discovered what Heathen Hen is talking about and now prefer light roasts. Both of those schools of thought are wrong because all roasts of the same bean have basically the same amount of caffeine. I love it when people finally realize this. Light roast coffee was usually considered a lower version for the weak tongued. Chances are you can barely tell, you can taste burnt toast. If we are going to make the best cup of coffee we can, we need to learn the difference between light vs dark roast and everything in between. Can't say I agree. Common Misconceptions, Our Roasting Philosophy, and the Great Strength Debate. I've been roasting at home for a couple years and am only now really getting to the point where I am satisfied with a light/medium (uniform coloration) - often they taste grassy and sour to me if I'm not careful. Thus, light roast coffee is often denser than dark roast coffee. Most people assume that a dark roast is stronger than light roast because of its strong bitter taste. If someone is looking for more caffeine, they should go with robusta beans, which have on average 20% more caffeine. No, you are right. A light roast is the absolute minimum for coffee beans to be drinkable.