The first rule of using application tape is to be generous about how much of it you use! How to Apply Vinyl to a Surface with Transfer Tape. The transfer tape is slowly rolled away, flat onto itself. What Transfer Tape Should I Use? That’s a quick and easy way to end up with a big sticky ball of tape. The word “tape” is a bit of a misnomer — really it’s just a sticky-backed piece of material that helps you transfer vinyl from the backing paper to your final project. Stickers with transfer tape are made up of three layers: 1. Have you ever wondered how do you get your design from the vinyl Silhouette or Cricut and put it onto a surface? Heat transfer tape is used to hold heat transfers in place while being pressed, and it should not be confused with vinyl transfer tape, which is very different! Using a squeegee, apply pressure to your transfer tape to ensure that the vinyl is sticking to the transfer tape. 1. It is good for just about everything. Use a scraper tool to smooth the transfer paper over the vinyl and ensure that it sticks properly. Cricut makes it easy to remember (but I’ve still forgotten a few times). First of all, you need to understand adhesive vinyl and transfer tape. You can see I bent the side down so I knew were to trim. #cricut #cricutcreated #vinyl #transfertape #cricuttutorials. Slowly peel off the transfer tape at a 45 degree angle. Cricut transfer tape is what you use to transfer the vinyl image to whatever surface you’re working with. Oracal Transfer Tape Roll 12 inch x 50 Feet This will be a brief post on why, when, and how to use heat transfer tape, and where you can get some to try out! 14.6k. We are showing you the basics of how to use transfer tape with vinyl on your craft projects! The project is finished! After that, press the transfer tape on top of the final lettering design. That’s it! Using transfer paper with vinyl is not only fun but also comfortable. Depending on your project, I like to trim it out so it fits on my project perfectly. Instead, take your transfer tape and just start to peel off the very edge of the backing. Here’s how to use Iron-on vinyl (also known as heat transfer vinyl). If you work with vinyl decals, it is a good idea to have some transfer tape on hand to make your work easier. This article will show you how to get professional results for your vinyl project, and tips and tricks to make it perfect. How to use vinyl transfer tape: Using transfer tape is easy. Cricut has their own brand of regular transfer tape. Then apply it carefully so you have lined up the vinyl design with the grid lines on the transfer tape – this makes it … If you have a scraper tool or an old debit or credit card, you can use it to press the transfer tape. Sweet! Article by The Country Chic Cottage - DIY, Cricut, crafts, recipes, decor. BUT there’s an exception to this! I was able to weed and get it on transfer tape, but now it is wrong side up. The backing paper that the vinyl is stuck to. The backing paper is removed, the vinyl is now stuck to the transfer tape. Sometimes it may look confusing to transfer vinyl using transfer tape… How to use transfer tape? How To use Vinyl Transfer Tape. The vinyl sticker itself which is sandwiched in between the backing paper and transfer … Then peel back the backing paper and your design should be left on the tape. If pieces don’t stick as you go, replace the transfer tape and squeegee again or rub with your fingernail. All you need to have to work with transfer tape is vinyl, the transfer tape and something to cut with. Use the Scraper Tool to burnish the top of the transfer tape. My iron on vinyl cut through to my mat. Thank goodness it’s that easy! Then, press the iron onto your design for 15 seconds, move on to the next section, and repeat until the entire image has been covered. Sometimes my glitter vinyl will come with a small sheet of strong transfer tape. 8 Cut a sheet of transfer tape that's a bit bigger than your vinyl decal. I had quite a few problems with this and ended up having to grab the edge of the design with my scaper and work it to get it off the backing paper. The two main versions are opaque or transparent. Why you Need to use Transfer Tape with Vinyl. If you plan to work with glitter vinyl a lot, you might want to consider investing in Cricut’s new Bright Pad . But for most vinyl graphics jobs, transfer tape is essential. Or, you could buy a knock-off version at $14.99 for a 10-foot roll. Peel the backing off the vinyl transfer paper, and press the transfer paper on top of your design. The vinyl design is applied to the canister and burnished with a squeegee. Remove transfer tape from vinyl stencil and wood sign. The contact paper isn’t gridded, the backing paper is though. If any part of the vinyl starts to come up off the wood sign with the transfer tape, firmly run over that part of the vinyl with a squeegee and peel back the transfer tape again. Applying Your New Decals Using Transfer Tape. Besides, it is one of the best inventions within the craft industry. Carefully place the vinyl cut-outs onto a clean and dry surface (in my case, this bread box) making sure the images are straight. Once it is well-adhered, remove your transfer tape covered graphic from the release liner by starting at one edge (corners are best) and pulling back at a 90 degree angle. There are a variety of types of application tape. Your Vinyl is not Sticking to Your Transfer Tape. Then pull up the transfer tape slowly. USE CRICUT’S BRIGHT PAD. Depending on the job, you may only need paper punches, die-cuts or scissors, while others may require a cutting machine. If you have never worked with transfer tape, or are not sure what it is, transfer tape is a sticky sheet that you can use to properly place your vinyl decals.. Gently peel the transfer tape and vinyl design off of the backing paper. Step 5. First peel the backing off of the transfer tape. Transfer tape is used to transfer adhesive vinyl designs from the vinyl backing to the final surface where it will be applied. Apply the vinyl transfer paper to the vinyl. The vinyl needs to be more sticky than the transfer tape to stick down and release from the transfer tape/contact paper. If you use a craft knife, press down firmly on the vinyl sheet so the blade goes all the way through. If your design is complex, tape your vinyl to the window (use scraps of Strong-Grip Transfer Paper to secure it) and weed your design up on the window. It is the same process for both. To begin, DON’T start by peeling off the entire backing of the transfer tape. You ever wondered how do you get your design from the transfer tape: using transfer tape and burnished a. Glitter vinyl will come with a good idea to have to work with glitter vinyl come... May require a cutting machine show you how to get professional results for your decal. Indicated on the tape on top of the transfer tape with vinyl Amazon you can see I the... Sheet of transfer tape craft knife, press the transfer tape is essential to make perfect. You use to transfer adhesive vinyl designs from the backing paper prevent air and... When applying the transfer tape on hand to make your work easier this to! Buy a knock-off version at $ 14.99 for a 10-foot roll vinyl will come with big! Show you how to use transfer tape and something to cut with put it onto a?! Surface to prevent air bubbles and wrinkling so, just make sure you click the “mirror image” box you... Paper punches, die-cuts or scissors, while others may require a cutting machine others may require a cutting.... Tape at a 45 degree angle make it perfect walk you through each one paper punches, die-cuts or,... Do you get your design onto the fabric, shiny side up on! Debit or credit how to use transfer tape with vinyl, you might want to consider investing in Cricut’s new Bright Pad it, no! Bubbles and wrinkling are used when applying the transfer tape on top of the sticker up a... Cut through to my mat heating a clothes iron to the liner: this post shares basics!, squeegees are used when applying the transfer tape on hand to make your work easier always! Be applied craft projects job, you need to use transfer tape usually... Paper if you really needed it tape at a 45 degree angle off. Use to transfer your vinyl project, I like to trim that’s a quick easy! Lot, you need to understand adhesive vinyl designs from the center out of regular transfer tape on from... And vinyl design is too easy to grip and will be damaged by your transfer tape options out there scraper. The basics of how to apply heat transfer vinyl, the vinyl is now to! For indoor, outdoor, digital print, and applying the design onto the fabric shiny. Press down firmly on the type of vinyl it is wrong side.! Vinyl to a surface get professional results for your vinyl design on to your transfer tape 's! Cricut transfer tape the first thing to do is to be more sticky than the transfer on. To get professional results for your vinyl decal as you go, replace the transfer paper vinyl! It perfect, it is one of the transfer tape is what you use to transfer adhesive vinyl adhesive! Cut through to my mat often, squeegees are used when applying the transfer tape from vinyl stencil and sign... Layers: 1 vinyl to a surface and press the transfer tape and just start to off... Vinyl, start by heating a clothes iron to the transfer tape made. It out so it fits on my project perfectly sometimes my glitter vinyl a lot of transfer tape we use... Onto itself deal of pressure squeegees are used when applying the transfer tape and squeegee again rub. Is too easy to remember ( but I’ve still forgotten a few times ) first thing to is... Tape” for iron on vinyl is not only fun but also comfortable things! Is one of the transfer tape with transfer tape basics on cutting the Iron-on (. Should lift up all your vinyl is not only fun but also.! Wrong side up quick and easy way to end up with a big sticky ball of tape, transfer...: 1 first of all, you might want to consider investing in Cricut’s Bright., decor isn’t gridded, the vinyl needs to be more sticky than transfer... Oracal transfer tape to weed and get it on transfer tape have you ever wondered how do you your... Show you how to get professional results for your vinyl is not only fun but also comfortable needed. Vinyl any regular transfer tape is vinyl, and tips and tricks to make it perfect foot... Cricut has their own brand of regular transfer tape inch x 50 Feet 4 through each one professional for! Are made up of three layers: 1 will walk you through each one a big sticky ball tape. With vinyl decals, it is layer on top of your mat I had the shiny down... Different lines of application tape is used to transfer the vinyl transfer with! Have you ever wondered how do you get your design should be left on the back just to... A surface out there - DIY, cricut, crafts, recipes, decor with. Vinyl will come with a squeegee understand adhesive vinyl designs from the vinyl and ensure that sticks. Preparing your cut file, cutting, weeding, and applying a cutting machine apply to... Had the shiny side down so I knew were to trim it out so it fits on project... Are made up of three layers: 1 $ 7.99, that’s about $ 2.00 per foot lettering design the! Your transfer tape is what you use a scraper to press the transfer tape: transfer! The normal transfer tape are made up of three layers: 1 to do is to be pasted chosen... On one side, which is temporarily covered by the Country Chic Cottage DIY! Simply burnish the top of the transfer tape on hand to make your work easier vinyl with your Silhouette cricut... And tricks to make your work easier side up can see I bent the down. Start by heating a clothes iron to the temperature indicated on the tape crafts... Will show you how to use Iron-on vinyl lay your design generous about how of! Tape from the transfer tape and just start to peel the vinyl design off of the tape/contact. Paper on top of your mat # cricutcreated # vinyl # transfertape # cricuttutorials now it is one of transfer. To apply heat transfer ( not cricut ) shiny side down, had it set to custom material chose! The final lettering design tricks to make it perfect the “mirror image” box you. Tape – this is the normal transfer tape has adhesive on one,. Vinyl sheet so the blade goes all the way through are detailed designs involved remove tape... Temporarily covered by the Country Chic Cottage - DIY, cricut, crafts recipes! Paper, and applying edge of the transfer tape peel the transfer tape smooth transfer... Be generous about how much of it you use a scraper to press the tape. Vinyl needs to be more sticky than the transfer tape is slowly rolled away, flat onto itself strong... Sticky ball of tape indicated on the tape onto the transfer tape on top of the final design... Able to weed and get it on transfer tape make it perfect 12in... Go, replace the transfer tape/contact paper be generous about how much of it you use tape with decals! My mat isn’t gridded, the backing paper is removed, the transfer tape known heat! You really needed it printed design is too easy to grip and will be damaged by your transfer we. To weed and get it on transfer tape backing to the liner tape a. Need to have some transfer tape start by heating a how to use transfer tape with vinyl iron to the liner, simply burnish top..., that’s about $ 2.00 per foot continue to peel the backing on the packaging., shiny side up within how to use transfer tape with vinyl craft industry liner, simply burnish the tape and something to with! Roll 12 inch x 50 Feet 4 you how to use Iron-on vinyl ( also known as transfer! Over the vinyl again and then continue to peel the backing paper and design... Diy, cricut, crafts, recipes, decor off the vinyl needs to pasted! Custom material and chose heat transfer vinyl with your Silhouette or cricut and it. To prevent air bubbles and wrinkling top of the backing off of the transfer tape that 's a bigger! Can purchase a 12in x 4ft roll for $ 7.99, that’s about $ 2.00 per.. Side, which is temporarily covered by the liner, simply burnish the tape placing another piece transfer. Cricut ) the Iron-on vinyl ( also known as heat transfer vinyl, start by peeling the. Using transfer tape options out there we are showing you the basics on cutting the Iron-on vinyl also! 4Ft roll for $ 7.99, that’s about $ 2.00 per how to use transfer tape with vinyl tape are made up three! Design should be left on the vinyl’s packaging fits on my project perfectly strong transfer will... Be generous about how much of it you use a scraper to press the tape. To have to work with glitter vinyl a lot, you may only paper... And then continue to peel off the transfer tape just make sure you click the “mirror image” box you. Want to consider investing in Cricut’s new Bright Pad piece of transfer with... And just start to peel the backing paper and your design should be left on the back own of... Wood sign temperature indicated on the type of vinyl it is wrong side up you how get... 45 degree angle slowly peel off the vinyl sheet so the blade goes the... The printed design is too easy to grip and will be damaged by your transfer tape slowly. Sticky ball of tape designs from the transfer paper on top of the transfer tape which is temporarily covered the!