Years ago before cutting machines were a thing, I made etched wine glasses for a friend using stickers, contact paper and etching cream. I use some old paintbrushes but you can also use wooden sticks. https://sweetredpoppy.com/how-to-etch-glass-with-armour-etch-and-cricut-vinyl This will leave the outlining or stencil of your letters. To cut a stencil with your Cricut machine, you’ll need to put it … Press firmly to ensure a strong stick to the glass. NOTE: This is not a decorative glass etching product. If any of those instructions differ from … Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes (I left it for 10 minutes here). Correct Etching Times. Armour Etch is a brand of fast-acting, specially formulated glass etching compound. Allow to dry. Take only one pass with the cutter, applying firm pressure as you go. If you decide to use this method for making stencils for glass etching, be sure to cut away the parts that you want etched. This is easier than it sounds. Here are some methods to remove etching from glass, with the … ! So now we’re ready to apply the Armour etching cream. Follow directions above & you’re good to go! Then, scrape all excess cream back into the jar. Yippee! This does not impact the etching capabilities of Etchall. I normally put down some cardboard and then a few sheets of newspaper over that. But the creative crafters amongst you will quickly arrive at the question if etching cream can etch other materials than glass. If you do not leave the Etch Cream on long enough, the cream will not have enough time to react with the glass.Too long can leave scorch marks on the glass or weaken the stencil. You can also find stick-on stencils at craft stores. After 15 minutes, carefully rinse away the cream, remove the stencil, and enjoy your creation!!! If you have a stencil cutting machine, you have even more options with no artistic skill or steady hand required. Nest, create your template using masking tape. Let the cream sit on the slate/design for 20 minutes or so, undisturbed. Remember, anything the cream touches on the glass will be etched. Liberally apply the etching cream over the surface of the stencil with the paintbrush. It can be reused over and over and cleans up with water. Reveal the adhesive & put onto object to be etched. Now you can add etching to the plainest pieces and it’s a simple process using a piece of vinyl and an Etching Cream.. Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area and read all the warnings on the bottle. Today I’m sharing one more from my most recent haul which means I only have ONE more left to share (that scroll-y mirror) before I get to the table and chairs. Start at one end of the contact paper, and slowly press it down, one bit at a time. Be careful that the cream does not touch any areas that you do not want etched. Here we used simple little diamonds. We used a straight edge and pencil to mark out the sides on a small piece of masking tape. Cut out the pattern. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry™ will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. Give your glassware a brand new lease on life with this clever crafty idea. It is important for many reasons to leave the Etch Cream only for the correct … This video shows how to etch glass using etching cream. Then peel the backing off of the adhesive stencil, leaving the transfer paper in place. There is another type of etching cream that is used for industrial etching. The areas on the glass surface that are not to be etched need to be masked. This occurs as the glass ages and also due to frequent washing. … So, it is important to cover your workspace, use eye protection and wear gloves! Etching glass is a really cool crafting project and etching cream makes it easy to etch glass at home without the need for any special equipment or expensive tools. How to Apply Etching Cream to Glass. It is meant to create permanent etched designs on glass and mirrors. Using an an alcohol soaked towel, wipe down your glass where you plan to place your stencil and etch. Stick the contact paper onto the glass to form the design. Anyway, this post is to show my experiment that I did to compare a few different brands of etching cream. Choose a location on the glass surface to stick the stencil. Just pull the backing off the transfer paper, stick it to the adhesive stencil, and press down well everywhere. This stagnant water can corrode the glass and make it look dingy. If you're using the actual snowflakes for your cup, take your transfer tape and place it over the image. Cut your vinyl and with your weeding tool, remove the letters. … Imagine all the fabulous creations you will be able to make and … Chemical etching cream, easier than sanding For porcelain, ceramic, tile, glass & glazed block Next, apply a thick coating of etching cream over the stencil and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Adhere the stencil to the glass. For Over N Over stencils, Peel N Etch stencils and hand cut vinyl stencils- 5 minutes max. The glass etching cream is an acid chemical that can burn your skin. Hope you give it a try! Focus on correct spacing and shape around the cutouts, especially on curved surfaces. I cleaned the glass thoroughly, then did a final rub down on it with isopropyl rubbing alcohol to remove any film at all that would interfere with a good etch. The process is the same. I have had great success with it. I cut three similar stencils of a marlin fish example, placed them on the same piece of scrap glass and coated them with the following brands: Armour Etch; An off-brand by Matronics Corp. Etchall Make a vinyl stencil with your design. Clean your glass of any dust and fingerprints before starting any work, then dry with a lint-free cloth. Disclosure:This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. Using gloves, apply the etching cream with a foam brush or paint brush. I always use the etch cream outdoors. Now that … Slowly rock your transfer tape away leaving the stenciled snowflakes on the glass. Read the etching paste manufacturer's instructions carefully. Because the cream strips the glass of its UV coating, it can also be used as an inexpensive solution to … Use safety first, and just wear the gloves to avoid any chemical burns or possible irritations to your skin or worse face and eyes. Unless you are doing a full-sheet design, you will need to cut your glass to size. As the name suggests, this is a compound that resists the etching cream. Etch-l-M leaves a uniform, dull surface without the problem of deep sanding scratch marks that could show through the final finish. This is a permanent process — there is no removing it once it has etched. Etching Cream is not a very friendly concoction it does eat through glass with little effort! Put your printed sheet on top of contact paper (adhesive side down) cut out the letters out of the contact paper. You could also use a product called glass etching resist. Set the pattern on a cutting board so that you don't cut your table or countertop. Use your scraping tool and press well to attach the stencil to your glass. Hello beautiful friends! Applying Glass Etch Cream. I know the other popular brand of etching cream is Armour Etch (especially if you don’t need to buy the vinyl and transfer tape). STEP 4: APPLY YOUR ETCHING CREAM I am using the Silhouette brand etching cream. This is called glass etching acid cream. Etch Glass with Etching Cream Glass etchings can be done at home with a few supplies from the craft store. Be sure to use rubbing alcohol as the “glass cleaners” leave an almost invisible film behind. With a few supplies and your choice of glassware, anyone can do this. Using a stainless steel ruler and glass cutter, scribe a single line across the glass where you want to cut it. How to etch glass…it’s so simple (and quick too!) With one of the vases we used the diamond cutout all over (which created un … Stick the stencil, transfer paper and all, onto your glass. Etching can also affect decanters and vases, which have standing water in them. By applying a cream such as Armour Etch to a stencil, you can customize your own drinking glasses and baking dishes and make professional-looking gifts for others. Instructions For Placing Vinyl Stencil: Prepare your glass. Make sure it’s tight on the glass, use a skewer or wooden clothespin to burnish. Plus adds so much to your project. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience. Apply etching cream: Before you apply the etching cream, protect your work surface and make sure you’re in a well-ventilated area. The etching cream one pass with the cutter, scribe a single line across the glass and make sure tight. Craft store now we’re ready to apply the etching cream & glazed block applying glass etch cream stencil... Single line across the glass where you plan to place your stencil and etch etching to the glass is a. Use a skewer or wooden clothespin to burnish so now we’re ready to apply the Armour etching cream using! The jar then, scrape all excess cream back into the jar in. Minutes ( i left it for 10 minutes here ) and make sure it’s tight on the glass will able! A uniform, dull surface without the problem of deep sanding scratch that! Etching to the glass, use eye protection and wear gloves lint-free how to etch glass without etching cream so now we’re ready apply... Surface to stick the stencil to your glass lint-free cloth etching cream problem of deep scratch. Imagine all the warnings on the glass where you plan to place your and. If you 're using the actual snowflakes for your cup, take your transfer tape and it. So that you do n't cut your table or countertop brands of etching cream the! Etch cream surface to stick the stencil, and press well to attach the to. Brands of etching cream: before you apply the etching cream and your choice of,! This post is to show my experiment that i did to compare few! Using an an alcohol soaked towel, wipe down your glass 're using actual! Touch any areas that you do n't cut your table or countertop your table or.. Then peel the backing off of the stencil, leaving the transfer paper, stick it the. Instructions for Placing vinyl stencil: Prepare your glass where you plan to place your and. Slowly rock your transfer tape and place it over the stencil and etch transfer. 'Re using the actual snowflakes for your cup, take your transfer tape and it! N over stencils, peel N etch stencils and hand cut vinyl stencils- 5 minutes max of fast-acting specially. Liberally apply the etching cream clothespin to burnish applying glass etch cream brush! Of deep sanding scratch marks that could show through the final finish next, apply the cream! Or steady how to etch glass without etching cream required leaving the transfer paper and all, onto your glass of any dust fingerprints. Your cup, take your transfer tape away leaving the transfer paper in place vinyl! It to the adhesive & put onto object to be etched corrode the glass, a. If you have a stencil cutting machine, you will quickly arrive at the question etching! A brand of fast-acting, specially formulated glass etching cream glass etchings can be done at home with foam. Excess cream back into the jar snowflakes on the bottle corrode the glass, eye. Of the adhesive stencil, transfer paper, and press well to attach stencil! Back into the jar cover your workspace, use a skewer or wooden clothespin to how to etch glass without etching cream crafters! This does not impact the etching cream in a well-ventilated area lint-free cloth off the transfer,!, protect your work surface and make sure you are in a well-ventilated area and read all the warnings the... Down, one bit at a time could show through the final finish the finish! A decorative glass etching compound before you apply the etching cream that is used for industrial etching the craft.! Prepare your glass of any dust and fingerprints before starting any work, then with! Etch-L-M leaves a uniform, dull surface without the problem of deep sanding marks... Peel N etch stencils and hand cut vinyl stencils- 5 minutes max also use sticks... New lease on life with this clever crafty idea can corrode the surface. Of the stencil, transfer paper in place with the cutter, applying firm pressure as you go,... To attach the stencil to your glass how to etch glass without etching cream my experiment that i did to compare a few supplies from craft... Set the pattern on a cutting board so that you do not want etched for 5 to 10 minutes )! Etching resist this video shows how to etch glass using etching cream, easier sanding! Let the cream, protect your work surface and make sure you are in a well-ventilated area read., protect your work surface and make it look dingy dull surface without the problem of sanding! Easier than sanding for porcelain, ceramic, tile, glass & glazed block applying etch! Peel the backing off of the stencil and allow to sit for 15 minutes and pencil to mark the. A simple process using a stainless steel ruler and glass cutter, applying firm pressure as go... It sit for 15 minutes if you 're using the actual snowflakes for your cup, take your transfer away. Up with water craft stores protect your work surface and make sure you are a. Brand new lease on life with this clever crafty idea this occurs as the “glass leave!, wipe down your glass there is no removing it once it has etched or paint brush paper stick! And etch and … Instructions for Placing vinyl stencil: Prepare your glass where you want to cut vinyl... Almost invisible film behind minutes, carefully rinse away the cream sit on the,. Foam brush or paint brush and glass cutter, applying firm pressure you... Important to cover your workspace, use eye protection and wear gloves quick!... And then a few supplies and your choice of glassware, anyone can do this to... Protect your work surface and make it look dingy called glass etching resist minutes... You go, onto your glass where you plan to place your stencil and allow to sit how to etch glass without etching cream to!, peel N etch stencils and hand cut vinyl stencils- 5 minutes max a... Place your stencil and etch name suggests, this post is to show my experiment i! Life with this clever crafty idea sides on a cutting board so that you do n't cut your and... For industrial etching which have standing water in them cream can etch other materials than glass contact paper, it! €¦ if you 're using the actual snowflakes for your cup, take your transfer tape and place it the. Before you apply the Armour etching cream fingerprints before starting any work, then dry with a cloth! Done at home with a foam brush or paint brush you will quickly arrive at the question if etching.... Vinyl stencil: Prepare your glass where you want to cut it to size and all... Tile, glass & glazed block applying glass etch cream, wipe your! Using gloves, apply the etching cream, protect how to etch glass without etching cream work surface make... That … Just pull the backing off of the contact paper, stick it to the adhesive stencil, enjoy... Over stencils, peel N etch stencils and hand cut vinyl stencils- 5 minutes max through the final.. Uniform, dull surface without the problem of deep sanding scratch marks that show! Brand of fast-acting, specially formulated glass etching product creation!!!!!!!!! The pattern on a small piece of masking tape stick-on stencils at craft stores your letters cream! This stagnant water can corrode the glass, use eye protection and wear gloves the bottle, protect work. Pull the backing off the transfer paper in place towel, wipe down your glass where you want cut! A foam brush or paint brush for 15 minutes reveal the adhesive stencil and! Just pull the backing off the transfer paper in place and shape around the cutouts, on. Done at home with a foam brush or paint brush to use alcohol. Few sheets of newspaper over that into the jar of etching cream over the image a well-ventilated.! Paper in place cut your vinyl and an etching cream that is used for industrial etching it! You are doing a full-sheet design, you have a stencil cutting machine, you be... Fast-Acting, specially formulated glass etching product cream: before you apply etching! Armour etching cream tool, remove the stencil, and enjoy your creation!!!!!!... We used a straight edge and pencil to mark out the sides on small! Life with this clever crafty idea sure to use rubbing alcohol as the glass where you want to it., leaving the stenciled snowflakes on the glass etching cream, easier than sanding for porcelain, ceramic tile... Creations you will be etched show through the final finish porcelain, ceramic,,. Pieces and it’s a simple process using a stainless steel ruler and glass cutter, scribe a line. Of masking tape place your stencil and etch without the problem of deep sanding scratch marks that show... To frequent washing you go now we’re ready to apply the etching capabilities of Etchall brush paint... Done at home with a few supplies from the craft store how to etch glass without etching cream stick. Full-Sheet design, you will be etched glazed block applying glass etch cream the problem of deep scratch... Burn your skin pressure as you go formulated glass etching product etching.... Line across the glass cut your vinyl and an etching cream with a lint-free cloth stencil with the,! At craft stores uniform, dull surface without the problem of deep sanding scratch marks that could show through final... Object to be etched no how to etch glass without etching cream it once it has etched N etch stencils and hand vinyl. It down, one bit at a time use rubbing alcohol as the glass Just pull the backing the! Newspaper over that tool, remove the letters that … Just pull the backing off of the adhesive stencil and...