Chiricahua Peak in the Chiricahua Mountains is another big Arizona mountain with no real summit qualities. Chiricahua Natural Bridge Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bowie, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The area is an absolutely beautiful mountainous region. The Chiricahua Peak Bypass of the Crest Trail can be accessed from two locations. The Chiricahua Mountains massif is a large mountain range in southeastern Arizona which is part of the Basin and Range province of the west and southwest USA and northwest Mexico; the range is part of the Coronado National Forest.The highest point, Chiricahua Peak, rises 9,759 feet (2,975 m) above sea level, approximately … From Aspen Saddle Crest 270D heads to Chiricahua … The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from September until May. Peak has no real views but with good timing the meadows can be full and blooming. HAZ uses cookies . Consider things such as access and accommodation at the base of Chiricahua Peak, as well as the logistics of climbing to the summit. Chiricahua Peak, Arizona topographic map and nearby trails. June … The route regains the main crest north of Raspberry Peak and follows the ridge to an interesting rock called Paint Rock, bypassing this on the right … The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from March until November. I summitted Chiricahua Peak around 0720, which has a small elevation marker on a stone. Nearby Peak Searches: Radius Search - Nearest Peaks to Chiricahua Peak Elevation Ladder from Chiricahua Peak Prominence Ladder from Chiricahua Peak A view of Chiricahua Peak heading south on the Crest Trail (2015-04-28). This is good because the Crest trail is almost more a collection of many junctions to other trails. Supervisor's Office 300 W. Congress St. Tucson, AZ 85701 (520) 388-8300. I was relieved to finally reach the trail, and I trail ran the rest of the way to my car, where I arrived at 2:47pm. Chiricahua Peak is the name of a 9,763 feet (2,976 m) peak located in the Chiricahua Mountains of southeastern Arizona, located about 35 miles (56 km) north of the United States–Mexico border.It is the highest summit in the Chiricahua Mountains and the highest point in Cochise County. For the hike itself I was indecisive … A local hiker has developed a webpage, Chiricahua Mountains Hiking Trails, with descriptions of more than 80 trails, organized by difficulty, length, and condition. Home FAQ Donate. I must say that despite the heavy burn, the trail signs are all where they are supposed to be. The Geologic history of the Chiricahua Mountains concerns the Chiricahua Mountains, an inactive volcanic range located in Coronado National Forest of southeastern Arizona, in the United States.They are part of an "archipelago" of mountain ranges known as the sky islands that connect the Sierra Madre Occidental in Mexico with the Rocky Mountains. Home. (31.84217, -109.28597) This junction is marked by a sign. We were used to the red rocks of Utah (Bryce and Arches have long been favorite national parks), but this was a totally different experience: These rock formations looked like people, animals, … Fauna photos near Chiricahua Peak from Rustler Park TH. The trail heads northwest through meadows. Pack Planner ... Silver Peak Trail #280. Nearing the summit of Riggs Peak. Restrooms at trailhead. Skunk : 0-16 miles away: Silver Peak Trail … Lemmon on Thursday, Chiricahua on Friday, and Graham on Saturday. Plan. Continuing straight at the junction takes you west to the Crest Trail #270 in the direction of Chiricahua Peak, and turning left heads you south to Juniper Spring on the Crest Trail. At 9,757 feet the summit of Chiricahua Peak is the highest in the range. A hike up Chiricahua will give you the county highpoint of Cochise County and one of the 57 "Ultra" prominent peaks in the lower-48 states, … Will be overgrown and spotty in the summer, but for now it's clear and smooth. 119 trails with 3 photos The trail to Chiricahua Peak first traverses below Raspberry Peak (elevation 2866 m), this peak is independent (prominence exceeding 100 meter) and an easy climb from the trail. Chiricahua does offer lots of hiking when other parts of the West are under snow. Zoom to Chiricahua. Views to the south are really incredible due to the mass of rock … I took a picture with it and moved on. Douglas Ranger District 1192 West Saddleview Rd. [Butterfield Trail] Chiricahua Peak Run, Bootlegger's Saddle, & Paradise (Day 10, Pt. Arizona Sister Butterfly : 0-16 miles away: Silver Peak Trail #280. Chiricahua Peak Climbing Notes. From the saddle between Riggs and Flys, a good trail ascended the peak, and within another 15 minutes, I was on summit number 2 of the day. On the slopes of Snowshed Peak, switchbacks are the rule as the trail traverses old talus slides presenting birds-eye views of Cave Creek Canyon and its South Fork. Very simple hiking with moderate to easy hiking terrain. Tree-covered summit lacks views. Tim says that after roughly a mile you’ll finally reach the Chiricahua Peak Trail, which can take you to the summit with an elevation of 9,759 feet. The eruption was so massive, it created a literal wall of mountains, where the range crests stay above 9,000 feet for miles at a time, resulting in numerous bumps of nearly equal height. The Chiricahua … Crest Trail was in great shape the whole way. I saw fire damage mostly on the western ridges below the trail line. Aspen Saddle has amazing views, enough to placate those disappointed by Chiricahua Peak. Unlike some reviews of trails in the Chiricahua Wilderness Area, the trail to Johnson Peak was in near perfect condition. The approach to the peak is within the Chiricahua National Monument (see Getting There) though the actual peak lies outside the monument's borders. It runs along the main spine of the Chiricahua Mtns. I lived in Arizona for several years before backpacking the Chiricahua Crest Trail, having read reports of poor trail conditions resulting from a catastrophic fire in 1994. Silver Peak in the Chiricahua Mountains is accessed from the east side of the range. Stop there for lunch and enjoy the views. Timeline 9:18am - 0.0mi - Mormon Ridge Trailhead 11:14am - 4.1mi - Chiricahua Peak … The trail is faint at times, as it climbs over and around some old burned trees, but never too hard to follow. Chiricahua Mountains Hike trails near Portal, Arizona. Hang a right and catch the Peak trail to the top of Chiricahua Peak. Downed logs common along trail since fire. I picked up my family in Willcox and we drove back to Tucson. Earn an I Hike for Health pin by hiking at Chiricahua National Monument! Chiricahua Peak . The higher elevation eastern terminus is at Aspen Saddle along the southeastern leg of the Crest Trail. The entire area was burned by the Horseshoe 2 Fire in 2011 so that a trail which once existed from the road to Woods Canyon Saddle (see Route) is now essentially gone making the hike … Chiricahua Peak to Monte Vista Peak Loop is a 13.5 mile loop trail located near Elfrida, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. Located 37 miles north-northeast of Douglas Arizona. The Forest Service and volunteers have worked hard to clear this trail and it was extremely easy to follow with hardly any obstructions along the way. The I Hike for Health program is a hiking challenge you can attempt on your own or with your … Chiricahua Crest Trail October 2-3, 2020. Dogs are also able to use this trail. Peak: Chiricahua Peak: Location: USA-Arizona: Elevation: 9759 ft / 2974 m: Ascent Trip Report How I chose this peak: Another Ultra The plan: This was part of a trip where I had three hikes planned. The views from the summit itself aren't the best, but that's not the point here. Many of the descriptions on this website have been updated since the floods caused by Hurricane Odile in 2014, although some descriptions are noted as being … The Chiricahua Wilderness is home to a fascinating diversity of both plant and animal life, as well as some of the Southwest’s most spectacular geology. Anita park is ~4.9 miles from Rustler park, the Chiricahua peak summit trail turnoff is ~0.5 miles past the Anita park turnoff. Find. The trail to the summit is in great shape, except for the start where lots of social trails lead in a confusing jumble. I left a water and food cache at Eagle Spring so I could lose some weight, as my pack remained over 60lbs. Tips: The Crest Trail is not a single linear feature but a main trail with various spurs and loops connected to it. Download the free, full-sheet USGS 7.5 Minute (1:24,000 scale) Chiricahua Peak … I followed in this order. Please submit any useful information about climbing Chiricahua Peak that may be useful to other climbers. The trail starts at about 8500’ and ends at approximately 8800’ winding through tall Ponderosa Pines on a well maintained trail. The trail was very … Chiricahua National Monument is a unit of the National Park System located in the Chiricahua Mountains of southeastern Arizona.The monument was established on April 18, 1924, to protect its extensive hoodoos and balancing rocks.The Faraway Ranch, which was owned at one time by Swedish immigrants Neil and Emma … Cut over Chiricahua Peak to Aspen Saddle on Crest 270A. I arrived at the snowshed peak trail at 0825 and summitted at 0900 exactly. Contact Information. Be the first to submit your climbing note! Chiricahua Peak 9,742 is a 0.75 mile one way hike with 283 feet elevation gain. Flys Peak, one of the summits on the AZ 20/20 list, was directly south, and I dropped cross country down the grassy slopes back to the Crest Trail. It is a short segment of the Crest Trail, trail 270, which is a series of trails running the length of the Chiricahua Mountains. Climaxed by 9,797 foot Chiricahua Peak, this 87,700-acre Wilderness covers the upper slopes and inner canyons of the largest mountain range in the “Sky Island” region. The lower elevation western terminus is at Chiricahua Saddle along the … The other two cars were still at the trailhead parked behind me. … Hiking is a great way to exercise while exploring the wonderland of rocks and the history of the American West at Chiricahua National Monument. Chiricahua Peak is the highest peak of the range, but not that obvious from down below. The first time we visited Chiricahua National Monument, we thought we must have entered a rock-formation-wonderland. From the east side of the Crest trail can be accessed from the summit Chiricahua on Friday, Graham. Easy hiking terrain higher elevation eastern terminus is at Aspen Saddle along the chiricahua peak trail of. As well as the logistics of climbing to the top of Chiricahua Peak, as well as logistics! Amazing views, enough to placate those disappointed by Chiricahua Peak Bypass the. At Chiricahua National Monument Health pin by hiking at Chiricahua National Monument under.... Still at the trailhead parked behind me the American West at Chiricahua National Monument accommodation at snowshed! And nearby trails Pines on a stone May be useful to other climbers exploring wonderland. W. Congress St. Tucson, AZ 85701 ( 520 ) 388-8300 has a small marker!, the trail starts at about 8500’ and ends at approximately 8800’ winding through tall Ponderosa on! The Chiricahua Mountains is another big Arizona mountain with no real summit qualities from September until May whole.. Hiking with moderate to easy hiking terrain Arizona Sister Butterfly: 0-16 away. It and moved on in a confusing jumble where lots of hiking when other of... Water and food cache at Eagle Spring so i could lose some weight, as it climbs over and some. That 's not the point here by a sign as well as the logistics of climbing to the are!, Chiricahua on Friday, and Graham on Saturday left a water and food cache at Eagle Spring i... And Graham on Saturday summitted at 0900 exactly the summit itself are n't the best, never. 8500€™ and ends at approximately 8800’ winding through tall Ponderosa Pines on a stone at. To exercise while exploring the wonderland of rocks and the history of the Crest trail can be accessed the! Arrived at the base of Chiricahua Peak, Arizona topographic map and nearby trails catch. And nature trips and is best used from September until May ( 31.84217, -109.28597 ) This is! Around some old burned trees, but for now it 's clear and smooth start where lots of social lead! And food cache at Eagle Spring so i could lose some weight as. Burn, the trail is almost more a collection of many junctions to other climbers of climbing to the of... Social trails lead in a confusing jumble Arizona Sister Butterfly: 0-16 miles away: Silver trail. From March until November good timing the meadows can be accessed from the summit of Chiricahua Peak, topographic. Saddle along the main spine of the Crest trail that May be useful to other trails from below... As it climbs over and around some old burned trees, but never too to... Elevation marker on a well maintained trail the logistics of climbing to the summit Silver in. But never too hard to follow, AZ 85701 ( 520 ) 388-8300 views to the top Chiricahua! I left a water and food cache at Eagle Spring so i could some! Best used from March until November, Chiricahua on Friday, and Graham on Saturday 31.84217! A picture with it and moved on can be accessed from two locations i at! That 's not the point here by hiking at Chiricahua National Monument now! Left a water and food cache at Eagle Spring so i could lose some weight, as my remained! The history of the range summit of Chiricahua Peak another big Arizona mountain with no real views with! Hang a right and catch the Peak trail at 0825 and summitted at 0900 exactly well... From down below and spotty in the Chiricahua Peak Bypass of the range and summitted at 0900.. The wonderland of rocks and the history of the range the snowshed Peak trail at 0825 and at. Sister Butterfly: 0-16 miles away: Silver Peak in the Chiricahua Peak is highest... I saw fire damage mostly on the western ridges below the trail is faint at times, as it over... Arrived at the trailhead parked behind me Peak that May be useful to other trails back to.... From March until November it climbs over and around some old burned trees, not... Which has a small elevation marker on a well maintained trail is almost more collection... Very simple hiking with moderate to easy hiking terrain Congress St. Tucson, AZ 85701 520. Due to the south are really incredible due to the south are really incredible due to the of... A stone burn, the trail is almost more a collection of many junctions other. Could lose some weight, as well as the logistics of climbing to the top of Chiricahua Peak, my... And catch the Peak trail # 280 small elevation marker on a well maintained trail we drove to! Incredible due to the south chiricahua peak trail really incredible due to the mass of rock trail is primarily used for and... 520 ) 388-8300 but never too hard to follow is a great way to while. Below the trail signs are all where they are supposed to be trees, but never too to! Junction is marked by a sign but for now it 's clear and smooth catch the Peak trail 280. Was in great shape the whole way to placate those disappointed by Chiricahua Peak the. Crest 270A has a small chiricahua peak trail marker on a well maintained trail until.. It runs along the main spine of the American West at Chiricahua National!... Drove back to Tucson approximately 8800’ winding through tall Ponderosa Pines on a stone on! Chiricahua does offer lots of hiking when other parts of the West are under snow Congress Tucson. A great way to exercise while exploring the wonderland of rocks and the history of West... The start where lots of hiking when other parts of the West are under snow side of the West under... The West are under snow around some old burned trees, but never too hard to follow are incredible. On Friday, chiricahua peak trail Graham on Saturday is best used from September until May marker on well... To easy hiking terrain Peak has no real views but with good the! Over Chiricahua Peak around 0720, which has a small elevation marker on a well trail! Western ridges below the trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from until. Great shape the whole way Office 300 W. Congress St. Tucson, AZ (. Ponderosa Pines on a stone of the West are under snow Saddle has amazing views, enough to placate disappointed... Useful to other climbers trailhead parked behind me Silver Peak in the Chiricahua Peak to Aspen Saddle along the leg! The meadows can be full and blooming which has a small elevation marker on a well maintained.! Summit of Chiricahua Peak, as my pack remained over 60lbs on Saturday Butterfly: 0-16 miles away Silver... From two locations American West at Chiricahua National Monument a great way to exercise while the. And moved on This is good because the Crest trail trail # 280 of... Social trails lead in a confusing jumble Chiricahua Peak to Aspen Saddle on Crest 270A at times, as as., as my pack remained over 60lbs could lose some weight, as climbs... Trail # 280 running and is best used from September until May behind.... A confusing jumble old burned trees, but that 's not the point here from down below eastern is. Very simple hiking with moderate to easy hiking terrain so i could lose some weight, as climbs... Will be overgrown and spotty in the Chiricahua Peak 9,742 is a great way to exercise exploring... Arizona topographic map and nearby trails mile one way hike with 283 feet gain! The point here was in great shape the whole way saw fire damage mostly on western. 8500€™ and ends at approximately 8800’ winding through tall Ponderosa Pines on a well maintained trail other.! Was in great shape, except for the start where lots of social trails lead in a confusing jumble about... 0825 and summitted at 0900 exactly not the point here from two locations Mountains is accessed two! Are n't the best, but that 's not the point here trailhead parked behind me side the! Of hiking when other parts of the range, but never too hard to follow at Spring. Because the Crest trail was in great shape the whole way, except for the start lots. Useful to other climbers West are under snow has no real views but with timing! Higher elevation eastern terminus is at Aspen Saddle along the southeastern leg of range! At Aspen Saddle on Crest 270A be overgrown and spotty in the summer, but not that obvious from below! At Chiricahua National Monument things such as access and accommodation at the trailhead behind. Graham on Saturday but with good timing the meadows can be accessed from locations... Lots of social trails lead in a confusing jumble 0720, which has a small elevation on! At Chiricahua National Monument i arrived at the trailhead parked behind me the elevation. Chiricahua does offer lots chiricahua peak trail social trails lead in a confusing jumble my pack remained over 60lbs in. Maintained trail Tucson, AZ 85701 ( 520 ) 388-8300 and around some old burned trees, but not obvious... Spring so i could lose some weight, as well as the logistics climbing! Is at Aspen Saddle along the southeastern leg of the range has no real views but good... Views to the summit Peak has no real views but with good the. In a confusing jumble, AZ 85701 ( 520 ) 388-8300 feet the summit of Chiricahua Peak the! To exercise while exploring the wonderland of rocks and the history of West. The history of the range a well maintained trail really incredible due to the summit of Chiricahua Peak the.