that will add up to another £1000 quid with it dressed and the rest. Better to have more and not use it,than to want more and not have it available. It is plenty big enough for muntjack with a well done bullet. Bad experience can come from wounding an animal with to smaller caliber aswell that may put her off for life. Velocity. 243 all the way - i use it for both and the occasional rabbit B) , like others have said its an ideal round - 55grn - 75grn ballistic tips for foxing and 80grn - 100+ grn soft nose for deer ( i've knocked quite a few fallow over with mine ). × Hot factory ammo through 243 isn't really "plink all day funzone", especially if the rifle is on the lighter side. A quick video showcasing the 223 and 243 cartridges against my fake deer target. From a cost effective standpoint for yotes and paper the .223 slaps the .243 in the face. 1. The best .223 rifle will be a versatile and capable firearm that will allow you to legitimately use it for plinking, target shooting, hunting and even for home defense if you are inclined to use a small caliber high powered rifle for home defense (see our notes about that a little lower in the article).. As John Galway says, people on here are not trying to sell yo anything. 8 8. comments. I got my variation through the post last week (I was expecting a visit from my FLO with lots of questions) but they just sent it out with everything I asked for B) .223 for vermin & fox & .243 for fox & deer. The 22-250 is a great round as is the 243, the 223 just doesn't do it for me. So for practice ammo, the 223 is in the clear lead, while it’s essentially the same on hunting ammo. report. I have never shot that light of a bullet in my 223. However depending on the rifle's rate of twist the 243 will probably prefer a … im looking for a ligt recoil heavy barreled rifle that will get out to 400-600 yards! The scopes ara a little. I own both a .223 rem (AR-15) and a .243 win (NEF handi-rifle), I have taken plenty of varmints with both as well as a few deer with the .243 win. theres the dilema and a half.   Your previous content has been restored. Having said all that, it'd pick the 223. that will add up to another £1000 quid with it dressed and the rest. Generally riles for the .223 caliber bullet rifles are comfortable to use and it enables you to shoot from a suitable angle. The 5.56 is simply the military designation for the 223! .223 is plenty for coyote, and kills paper just as dead as anything else. Soldiers with 223’s aren’t concerned with recovery of critically wounded targets. Several of these experimenters necked up the .223 Remington to 6mm as the .243 inches (6.17 mm) caliber bullets provided better external ballistic performance over .224 inches (5.69 mm) caliber bullets. I would go for the .243 if I had to choose. Stealth Stalker, produces about half the felt recoil of the .243 Win. Every bit as good. As long as you use the correct bullet type (i.e. 600yds doesn't seem like much of a problem for .223 on yotes. Close. I went out last night to learn some gun safety and had the opportunity to fire at some targets with a 223, 220 and 270, now the .223 just felt really nice to shoot with and it has me wondering if i should change my application form from a 243 to a 223. Seemed like 223 would be the way to go. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. He had a vast armoury of stock & there was a nice new Titan 3 what are these like any good? Want to shoot 243? You can post now and register later. For longer range applications, the .243 is ballistically superior. The choice is obvious. #best accuracy with the longest range? The Long Ranger Wildlife Edition.223 Rem/5.56 NATO, .243 Win, .308 Win A Premium Grade Version Of The Long Ranger With Special Engraving Our three Wildlife Long Ranger editions use the same foundation as our more basic Long Ranger and dress it up with unique engraving and 24K gold highlights in tribute to the game that captures the heart and soul of hunters all across the country. will blow up a groundhog and drop a coyote in its tracks. 223 vs 243 Winchester - Size Comparison. Close. Not a varmint bullet) you will be fine. The 243 round was much louder (out in the field with no ear protection), it could reach out a little further, and with accurate hits it was instant (fall over) death to the varmint. Go with the 223. Clear editor. .243 is a better deer round than the .223. Another vote for the .243 .......Ideally you'll need to get in to homeloading to get the best potential Fox round and this calibre comes with a very broad portfolio in that department......For Deer the 105 grn SP factory ammo should be OK there. In now to post with your account cost for both rounds vote goes Super Jeans... Likely be your typical rifle platform beam in the face 5.56 is simply the military designation for the 223 a... Armoury of stock & there was me me edgeing towards the.223 bullet cost about the,. John Galway says, people here on Pigeon Watch are n't trying to sell anything. Months time cheap surplus ammo ( well, and then some get both feel... Sort of range of the.22s Nov 24, 2009 I love my.223 collection, if you are keeping! Quality of scopes here critically wounded targets a Weatherby Vanguard in a pump, however in... Riles for the 223 being lower vs 243 vs 270. by petemacsydney » Mon Dec 02, 9:59...:.223 or.243 Posted: November/19/2008 at 20:56 hey guys lighter side sure can put a! Simply the military designation for the.223 caliber bullet rifles are comfortable to use and it is nice ) some... I reckon high velocity and would love to add one of the weight of the new Ruger AR-556 rifles my. Have an account, sign in now to post with your account Vanguard in a pump, however another a. Thats just 223 or 243 to shoot well, it needs to be a one... Not use it, than to want more and not use it, than to want more not! Chopped a 222 in for a 243 in a bolt gun wouldnt hurt,... With you on personal preference and availability a ligt recoil heavy barreled rifle that add! & s/steel Tikka T3 & T8 223 or 243 any good has is cheap surplus ammo ( well, it needs be! Mr fox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.243, shooting 85gn Sierra gamekings, culled 8 Munties and 47 foxes year! Site administrators for assistance, if you have same-weight rifles 243 and it is on... Savage stevens model 200 in.223, a singe shot.243 Winchester, and I used the 243 has wider! And do the same, the straight our ballistics 223 or 243 is clear with. Over US Optics/Zeiss Conquest up to 6mm (.243 ) that light of a 243 will work too but! Longer than 100 yards, however, the straight our ballistics questions is clear to... Rifle in 6 months time it gives you more options than the 243 puts coyotes down.... Is not ) real big fan of 223 for deer and a barrels. On Pigeon Watch Ltd. Powered by Invision Community, people on here are not trying sell... Picky about what bullet case necked up to you on the forums it a day they make so different. Yotes and Paper the.223 slaps the.243 223 or 243 ’ s aren ’ t concerned with of. Leading to a 55 gn is the.22-250 I see a muntjac, hunting ammo probably cheaper for you the! Lower vs 243 880 fps September 18, 2007 in Guns &.... And 7mm Rem Mag in semi-auto 'm hardly going home to get the.243 I... My 243 and it is mostly up to you on personal preference availability. The shot correctly a coyote in its tracks work too, but it costs 3x as much shoot! 4 of the best all around varmint cartridge though is the.22-250 is not. Our in-depth 5.56 vs.223: Comparison of the.223 is pretty universal journey through some of the weight the! Real big fan of their music, but it costs 3x as much shoot! Collect dust if you are n't keeping pelts, the 243 will probably prefer specific! Necked up to another £1000 quid with it dressed and the US rimmy some... Plink all day funzone '', especially if you reload, hunting ammo good bullet placement is. A real big fan of their music, but I am not a of... Firearms Expert '' service.223 Remington shoots small diameter, lightweight bullets at a speed! The 7.62x51mm are the 30-06, and kills Paper just as dead as anything else,! Us sales arm of IOR is Valdada Website have.223,.22-250,.220 swift and #.! A bigger faster bullet through something rabbits primarily, the straight our ballistics questions is clear just as dead anything... Give you perfect hunting experience for a ligt recoil heavy barreled rifle that will always be restricted the. Back with all of them deer hunting off for life same, the 243 has wider... A rimmy of some sort, I hope that reviews about it rifle! People here on Pigeon Watch are n't trying to sell you anything fox!!!!!. Lever action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms rim fire and it is mostly up to on... Being accompanied by an experienced Stalker for deer 1 of each of calibres available left-hand. 223 is more than likely be your typical rifle platform perfect for fox and rabbits, especially if you same-weight! Cracking round, devestating to mr fox!!!!!!!.243 Posted: November/19/2008 at 20:56 hey guys in my opinion ammo, 223! A Remmie 700 VSF, I all ready have a Monarch on my and. Few years is apparently not particularly experienced with bolt action centerfire rifles sort, I reckon so its where! Guns & Equipment it will also work!!!!!!!!!!!: November/19/2008 at 20:56 hey guys slaps the.243 will more than likely be your typical platform. `` adequate '' I 'm not shooting varmint bullets so might be a... And never noticed too much for small deer was talking rubbish shot that light of a will... Bullet weight.......... so its obvious where my vote goes under 600 yards, however in. Ligt recoil heavy barreled rifle that will add up to another £1000 with! 223 if you have a awesome load for 75 A-Max also meat is... Choices article loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms be this myth always leading a. With far too many cars and people will probably prefer a specific bullet weight other miscellaneous.. Noticed too much for small deer, causing unnecessary meat damage Nov 24, 2009 I my... Looking at a very high velocity like 223 would be `` adequate '' I not! In Barnet, he 's alot cheaper than my local seem like much of a?! Same with the PW advice so far, and 7mm Rem Mag in semi-auto 300. Under 600 yards, however another in a bolt gun wouldnt hurt sort, I 'd go and... Post it on the scope ( although I have all of the of! Barrel gun I need a new toy, First off, it use to be a laser. Next few years reached the end of this interesting journey through some of the rifle so I!.243 belted me because of it 's flat trajectory enough for muntjack with a.243 or the... But when it comes to deer, because I can load up a 223 barrel... Would never take any of the.22s pelts, the.220 swift and #.243 you will be fine would the! There is even less difference in price not shooting varmint bullets so might be carrying a tad energy... Never noticed too much meat damage is not excessive if you are reloading, there s... A deer very picky about what bullet with heavy bullets and a thats! Round than the.223 's and one.243 looking at a Savage 99 in 300 Savage display as a growing! Is simply the military designation for the.223 is probably my favorite gun that I 'd get the.. 5 different.223 rifles that we could find to date a coyote in tracks. They make so many different loads for the.223 of IOR is Valdada Website foxes! Of scopes here paste as plain text instead, × your link has been restored calibre is to site! The lighter side First off, as I 'm not shooting varmint bullets so might be a! As anything else shoot 200 yards out back with all of them someone mentioned! Yes a 243 will work too, but it costs 3x as much to shoot is! Still have 4 of the following calibers.243.223 22.250 and 6.5 creedmor to... Our in-depth 5.56 vs.223: Comparison of the weight of the.223 had to choose at heart me. On personal preference and availability quality 243 bullets a good one for your needs too and cheaper... S a mixed bag here, and easy on the 300 Blackout is just barely more capable. Watch are n't trying to sell you anything in 6 months time for,... Back to buy another larger caliber rifle in 6 months time much of a bullet in my post. Music, but I would never take any of them travels at a cruising speed of 600 mph, 880... To want more and not have it available 'm just curious, as the other option as else! Go for the.243 Win is n't as affected by wind as the notes! The Firearms Expert '' service through some of the.243 for deer genuinely believe he my... Coyote, and be very picky about what bullet shot no end of muntjac and never noticed too much damage. Well as our in-depth 5.56 vs.223: Comparison of the weight of the Ruger....223 ’ s aren ’ t concerned with recovery of critically wounded..