See the results in our Portfolio section When I first started out as a cabinet painter, I used Sherwin Williams. It will take an extra coat of your navy enamel to cover over the white primer, but you won't have any durability problems. Question: Do you use any grain fillers before painting to get that smooth finish? Question: Can I use the BIN shellac primer with the emerald enamel over the top? Painting over that won't fix the problem. I just painted my entire kitchen cabinetry in Cyberspace- love the color but notice it’s chipping off at the edges of the cabinets in the “high traffic areas” (i.e. If you go any rougher than 220-grit in between coats, you'll probably see scratch marks in the paint. “Sherwin-Williams Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel provides exceptional washability, durability and stain and scratch resistance,” explains Rick Watson, director of product information at Sherwin-Williams. Answer: On cabinets, I've used several whites from Sherwin Williams. I've never had any problems with the paint coming off. It delivers the smooth, uniform finish of an oil-based enamel with the convenience of a waterbased formula. Any suggestions what went wrong? Let the paint dry overnight and it will sand smoother without leaving an indentation in the paint. I've read complaints online by people saying the semi-gloss finish was dull, but in my experience, two coats of semi-gloss over two coats of BIN shellac primer was the perfect sheen for cabinets. I will sand everything down to bare wood, reprime with nontinted BIN, and reapply the Emerald. The semi-gloss finish is very smooth, perfect for washing. I wrapped the painted doors in moving blankets and delivered them to my customer without any issues. As an oil-based, high-quality paint, it also provides superior leveling (fewer brush marks) and coverage properties. Sand the boxes with 220-grit to prevent scratching the wood. The water base makes it dry fast, the alkyd base makes it level out, and the Urethane base makes it dry harder. This product wet sands really well in my experience. If you apply filler after BIN, sometimes the filler pulls wood tannin right through the first prime coat. If the cabinets are already painted that primer's fine, but if they're not painted, it's best to use an oil-based primer sealer, or white shellac primer, on the cabinets. What foam roller & sandpaper grit would you recommend? It sprays fine through my sprayer with no thinning. You don't have to grind it down to the primer. If you sand in between coats of paint, make sure you're using a fine-grit otherwise you'll leave scratch marks in the paint very easily. Make sure you've flushed out the sprayer really good with clean water before spraying the enamel. I should also mention that I use Aqua Coat grain filler before priming and painting oak cabinets with this paint. Can the SW Emerald Urethane be brushed on? I've used Snowbound a lot. I built two cabinets with 19mm Baltic Birch plywood. They were originally stained cabinets. SW man says it should be an oil based. I appreciate it more than you know. Matt G. (author) from United States on June 21, 2020: I believe the aerosol version performs the same as far as sealing and priming, but I can't confirm this one hundred percent. I intended to use it, but the sprayer I have (Graco X5) says you can't spray "flammable" materials. We have a big 4'x4' egress window to let light in on one end of the basement and another in a smaller bedroom. Available in a range of Sherwin-Williams colors and custom tints in satin, semi-gloss and gloss sheens. All you can do is leave it alone and let it cure. Question: I have oak cabinets that are great shape and I want to paint them. I typically only spray the inside of cabinets if there are glass doors, or if my customer requests it. Question: I plan to paint laminate cabinets, do you recommend a primer? Question: I’m laying down SW Emerald Urethane with a Home Right Super Finish Max HLVP gun using their Green Tip (2.0mm). I'm worried. We had to sand like crazy but the detailed trim looks bad still bad is gummy. I dont want to use my airless sprayer with oil paints for now. Is Emerald too thick for this airless? You can also apply for a Pro charge account at your local Sherwin Williams store to get discount pricing. Make a mess? I load up on supplies when they run that sale a couple times per year. Is it durable to use a filler between bin primer and emerald urethane spraying? I would contact your SW store and talk to the manager and ask them to call their product hotline with your inquiry. I did sign up for the Perks account to save money, and I was lucky that during the last week of painting they were running a sale. Pratt & Lambert’s entry into the hybrid enamel market is Aquanamel Waterborne Alkyd Enamel. Sherwin-Williams Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel in Mount Etna ; Paintbrushes – This one is my favorite. Urethane- Milesi 2K comes with a hardener tend to be harder finish. Spraying the second coat too fast would result in texturing that wouldn't level much. The paint isn't gummy, or soft, once cured. Emerald urethane is thick and will probably need thinning to pass through your HVLP sprayer. Question: I used the Emerald Urethane paint on my cabinets, how long should I wait before hanging the doors? If you didn't sand too, the surface could have been too smooth and glossy, and that could have contributed to the problem. Matt G. (author) from United States on August 28, 2020: The 400 grit didn't ruin anything, you're fine. Hi Carolyn! The issue I’m having is the paint is spitting, not spraying regardless of what flow rate I am using. One note: You will have to sand off or strip away any polished finish before application. Make a mess? Coating thickness and air temp is important. My phone's auto correct is horrible. Do you feel like the semi gloss isn’t as shinny and possibly looks like a Satin normally looks? Last question, what’s the best DIY paint sprayer for this paint? K45 T 1154, 6509-83984 Egg-Shell He did prime the cabinets and left them for 24 hours before painting. I actually just spray painted my kitchen cabinets using the Wagner sprayer and the SW Emerald paint you just mentioned. Since we were doing a full renovation on the kitchen, our cabinets were new. I used the satin finish and it is way too flat for my taste. I recently spray painted kitchen cabinets using this product. -I’m doing this in a garage and it has rained a lot in the last 10 days. Learn how to spray paint kitchen cabinets. EMERALD IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY A NAME YOU KNOW AND TRUST. Behr recommends this paint for a variety of surfaces, and its durable, flawless finish is perfect for cabinets. Emerald Urethane is user friendly and is readily available in most colors. Also, there's small amounts of caulk accumulated in all the corners of my shaker cabinets making them look kinda rounded. The paint isn't gummy, or soft, once cured. As one of Sherwin-Williams’ newest formulations, the Emerald line of water-based paints is described as “a finish that withstands wear and tear and goes on in fewer coats.” Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel comes highly recommended from professionals for painting kitchen cabinets, but they warn that using the wrong brushes and rollers or poor technique yields subpar results with spotty coverage and brush marks. Sherwin-Williams Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel. Answer: Yes, you can fill the grain after priming with BIN, but the filler should be primed to seal it. Question: I have both Graco X7 and hand held Ultra. Reface your kitchen cabinets yourself with our help. I have done numerous pieces of furniture and a number of different kitchen cabinets and had factory quality results. The finish will be less smooth than if you were to spray through an airless with high atomization. Top coats of enamel over latex primer on unpainted wood results in a soft, unsealed finish, that isn't durable. Paint takes a good thirty days to fully cure. I'm going to be using a navy color over oak but I plan to use primer first and am considering tinting the primer as well. I like using 150-grit for the first sanding to remove the clear coat, then I use 220-grit in between coats. I'm not familiar with the Wagner sprayer you mentioned, but airless sprayers can usually handle enamel. Question: Have you used any colours other than white with this Sherwin Williams paint? I've also found the finish of Pro Classic to be slightly soft and rubbery. Did you paint the inside of the boxes? That's why it's always best, at least for me, to fill the grain first, sand, and prime two coats to prevent those problems. Also, although the Emerald Urethane application instructions say to use a .015 to .017 tip at 2,000 PSI, I couldn't get rid of tailing with a 315 tip even at the max 3,000 PSI of the sprayer. Catalyzed finishes are at the top of the list for durability. I used a Graco Ultimate (corded handheld) with a 210 tip to spray my cabinet doors. Even the first coat looked very shiny, but the second coat looked even better. I recommend contacting your Sherwin Williams store for a recommendation. Sanding everything down to wood would be impossible given the amount of detail in these. Matt G, I am thinking of using this paint for my cupboards, but like you, I have heard mixed reviews about the satin sheen. For a completely different look on your kitchen cabinets, you can choose a chalk paint. The second coat dried in about three hours. I used the oil-based primer (2 coats) and the emerald paint. I let the primer harden overnight, scuff sand, and spray two coats of Emerald urethane at 3 1/2 to 4 mils max, allowing the paint to dry overnight between coats. For exterior . Sanding with 220 of both the primed and unprimed pieces results in “rolls” not “dust”. The walls will be the Sherwin Williams Worldly Gray. Having to sand that putty off of 20 plus cabinet doors and frames would be a nightmare, even with an electric sander. I just wish I found it earlier as I already painted the first coat on some of my cabinet doors. Also, with bin do I need to use grain filler? I used a 210 tip for a long time, but the smaller orifice of the 208 gives me better results. CLEVELAND — Sherwin-Williams has expanded the Emerald family of products, its finest interior and exterior paints, with the new Emerald® Interior/Exterior Waterbased Urethane Trim Enamel. The entire back face was supported on a slightly textured floor for 20-30 minutes. You don't have to sand it down to the bare wood, just enough to remove the lacquer. This color has an extra white base. I have a small sprayer that requires thinning. Sherwin ProClassic is also a waterbased acrylic-alkyd. So, I switched the tip to a 212 and it turned out even worse, very orange peely. The full price of $89 per gallon is overpriced, so definitely take advantage of available discount options. Question: Since Sherwin Williams Emerald Urethane is a mix, what reducer should I use for this trim paint for a sprayer? The flash point of the BIN shellac is too low for the sprayer. Since SW recommends I wait 60 days before doing anything, can I after 60 days, put on a polyurethane coat? The first coat leveled better than the second coat. If there’s not a big difference in the strong ness of the odor, I might as well go oil. I get notifications for discount deals on a weekly basis. Cheers, JC. Small bubbles form right away if you spray too thin of a coating. Even though the paint will be dry to the touch in 4 to 6 hours, the paint will be soft and marr easily when flipped over. They are still in good condition and I'm painting them. The enamel itself is washable without a topcoat. If you follow the specs for the extender you're using and add a small amount for what's recommended, a gloss reduction won't be noticeable. All you need is the 3m hand masker, painter's tape and plastic. It was very helpful in determining the right paint for my project! Available in satin and semi-gloss. Convert wood cabinet doors to glass in two hours! What can I do to stop the spitting? Considering the possibility of the primer being tinted too much, do you feel this is all for naught and I should just sand everything down to the bare wood or do you still think I need to wait it out for another few days? If you only need to fill holes, or damaged areas, use wood filler. Removing the doors and laying them down flat for priming is better too for leveling out the grain versus priming them hung. Answer: I use Emerald urethane trim enamel. The powder you're seeing is the extra colorant that separated from the pigment in the shellac. Bubbles can also form if there's air inside your spray line, assuming you're using an airless sprayer. The putty is very hard to sand. One is for spraying primer and the other for paint. The main color is SW Snowbound, and the island color is SW City Shadow (gray). I am so disappointed in my newly painted $2200 kitchen cabinets. You only need to scuff sand. Another potential problem is over-thinning the paint. I ended up having to buy a LP (low pressure) tip to get a nice pattern with feathered edges. Use oil-based primer if it's unpainted oak. The base color was Extra White before, but they changed it to High Hide White, which is slightly different. Benjamin Moore provides this tutorial video for best application practices. Just found the paint was SW Pro Industrial, Pre-Catalyzed Waterbased Epoxy. No, you should always sand. Answer: Yes, you definitely need to prime the laminate cabinets. Sand off the primer and paint and start over with either no tint in the primer, or no more than 2 ounces of colorant per the specs. I’ve been sanding in between coats for drips & overspray. Oil primer takes more time to cure. Answer: Yes, I think the price sounds fair. Be sure to check out our 20 surprising tips for painting kitchen cabinets. A coating thickness of 4 wet mils is what you want. Click the link below and get directions to your closest Sherwin-Williams store. It might look too light at first when you spray in quick passes, but the enamel lays out after a few minutes and looks thicker than when you put it on. Same thing with Emerald urethane enamel. Answer: Sanding and priming the factory painted cabinets with oil primer before applying the new paint should be fine, but it's a good idea to contact the manufacturer too to check compatibility between products. Answer: Over-thinning can reduce the gloss of the finish, so yes, thinning too much can reduce durability if the finish is less smooth and less washable. What type of airless sprayer did you use with Emeralds urethane paint? The Spruce "Web Gray by Sherwin-Williams is a stylish, yet timeless and versatile color for kitchen cabinets," says Melissa George, the décor blogger behind Polished Habitat. Cover Stain oil primer is a good product for this. And then apply two coats. You probably wouldn't like it if you don't want the extra sheen on your cabinets. Here’s how! I can handle a white cabinet door the next day without leaving marks in the finish. A satin and gloss finish are also available. The satin finish is less glossy, but not dull like flat paint. As one of Sherwin-Williams’ newest formulations, the Emerald line of water-based paints is described as “a finish that withstands wear and tear and goes on in fewer coats.” Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel comes highly recommended from professionals for painting kitchen cabinets, but they warn that using the wrong brushes and rollers or … Other possible causes could be not spraying in one direction, keeping a wet edge. Matt G. (author) from United States on October 27, 2019: Oil-based paint is very durable, but as you said, the smell is an issue. Give cabinets, doors and trim a smooth, luxurious finish with Emerald® Urethane Trim Enamel. The oil paint should not be scratching off. Question: You mention a 210 and 212 tip in your replies. Answer: I usually caulk before I spray the first coat of primer. Strip the latex primer off the cabinets and prime them with oil primer, or BIN. When I remove cabinet doors to spray them, I number the back side and stick a small piece of blue tape over it. The painter used SW paint but as you said it is soft and rubbery. Yes, that's $89 per gallon without discounts, or coupons. That's probably the reason it's spitting frequently. What you do is use 60% paint, 30% windshield washer solvent (the blue stuff) and the Flotrol type product that Sherwin Williams stores sell ( I forget the name). Get Directions. Last night I painted a piece of plain plywood with two coats of Emerald. Question: What sprayer did you use without having to thin this product? Answer: Yes, I've sprayed this product in dark grey on cabinets without any challenges. The process is the same for all cabinets, whether they are in a garage, bathroom, kitchen or even laundry room. You can try thinning the enamel. It’s perfect for cabinet, door and trim projects where hardness, adhesion and durability are primary considerations. Backer coat 1 dries in about 4 hours. Matt G. (author) from United States on May 07, 2020: I'm not sure what you mean by "lines" in the coating. We recommend Sherwin William Emerald Urethane Satin for a water-based finish. Emerald urethane is a little tricky to spray. My local SW says the Pro Choice is what most painters use? I clean, sand, caulk, spray two prime coats, using BIN shellac primer, sanding between coats. If I see something stuck in the paint (dust, crumbs etc.) People who desire a truly nontoxic paint option and the flexibility to achieve a farmhouse-look paint job on their kitchen cabinets can try the products from The Real Milk Paint Co. The finish was near perfect!! I know Wooster has some good brushes too, but I've never used them. I wish I would have went with my gut and just used untintec BIN. Matt G. (author) from United States on July 02, 2019: Yes, Emerald urethane levels pretty good when brushed on. The tinting issue is your main problem, but it's probably also too hot and humid in the garage.Try to control the air better with a small portable AC unit with fans and exhaust so the fumes are being filtered out and fresh air coming in. You can get a nice even finish and it's a lot faster. Option 2: If you live in California or other states that restrict the sale of oil-based paints and primers, you can substitute the above oil-based primer for a water based latex primer such as Sherwin-Williams All Surface Enamel Latex Primer. I usually use 220 grit. I assume I simply need to clean them and then use a 220 sandpaper. The customer wished she would have used satin because the finish was too shiny for her liking. Formulated to withstand abuse, it is a perfect match for high-traffic kitchen cabinet doors and frames. Emerald urethane dries to a hard and washable finish when applied over the primer I mentioned. The enamel is thick. So if you are noticing a fingernail test after a few days, imagine what it will do in 30! Thank you so much. Question: I am painting my oak kitchen cabinets. You can use coarser sandpaper if there's a thicker lacquer coating on the boxes. It’s clear that paint companies have focused on developing hybrids and Behr offers a good one for painting kitchen cabinets with its Urethane Alkyd Enamel paint. In general, I think I did a good job preparing my doors. I will be doing Alabaster on hickory cabinets. If the paint is soft and rubbery, it sounds like a cheap wall or trim paint was used, or the cabinets weren't prepped right. Also, slightly of subject but when you are doing jobs, do you spray the inside of the cabinets and the shelving for these projects? It’s a lot cheaper but I’m curious if you have continued using the Pro Choice? Another consideration is the paint color. The cabinets should be cleaned and scuff sanded before you prime and paint. Thank you for this article, so much useful information! It worked really well but in certain light, I'm noticing lines in my work. 1. I would remove the primer and start over. I had the gun set to a 7. I use Emerald urethane. Our latest shed is also a pavilion—and you can build it, too! You can only use up to 2 ounces of colorant for oil primer, in most cases, but even following the specs, I've had problems tinting oil. You don't need to reduce Emerald urethane with an airless. The paint is soft at first and needs to harden more before you can clean it with water. Question: Do you send between coats of paint? The paint takes a day or two to harden. Hi Matt, I've just finished the second coat of my cabinets with the SW Emerald Urethane in semi gloss. That's what makes it tricky to work with at first. Air temperature and humidity also impacts drying. Matt G. (author) from United States on March 24, 2020: Thank you for the feedback. I have heard that it tends to look flat. We have a big 4'x4' egress window to let light in on one end of the basement and another in a smaller bedroom. While recipes for milk paint are available online, this company saves you the effort and ships bags of mix straight to your door. This is a similar product by Sherwin-Williams but you will have to double the blocking and cure times. I want to try to avoid a lot of shine on my cupboards. It covers well on a wide variety of primed surfaces including wood, metal, plaster, concrete and masonry. For 150 years, Sherwin-Williams has provided contractors, Both seal the surface and provide a durable base coat. The Extreme Bond primer is fine if the cabinets are already painted. Could I use the same paint on this previously painted drywall wall? It dries a little rougher than I would have liked, but nothing a little 400 grit couldn't take care of. You are still looking at about 30 days to cure. A 310 gives a 6" fan and a 210 gives a 4" fan. I did 2 coats of SW Extreme Bond latex primer & 2 coats with the SW Emerald Urethane on raw doors. Coats were not heavy - and I waited 24 hours between coats of Emerald and 72 hours of drying time after the last coat to handle the cabinets. I've never experienced any issues with this product sanding off like that with my process for prep and application. My light buffing with 1,500 paper turned into 220 paper sanding in some spots & my super smooth surface is now dull. Feb 21, 2019 - Check out my review of Emerald Urethane paint. Question: Can you sand runs or defects on cabinets? I mean if so, I should just go oil base. How was your experience in this? Hybrid enamel takes longer to cure than straight acrylic enamel. Please practice hand-washing and social distancing, and check out our resources for adapting to these times. Don't use latex primer unless it's already painted and in good condition. Answer: You didn't specify what type of primer was used on the cabinets, or if the surface was cleaned and sanded. It's up to you. I also found it … I've only used this product one time on cabinets, as of this writing, but so far, I'm very satisfied with the results. They scratch easily with a fingernail after over a week. Despite being 10 days out, if you rub a thumb (with some force, but not too hard), the semi-gloss finish is gone forever. I sprayed two thick coats of Emerald on cabinet wall boxes and had no issues with dripping paint. Thank you so much for your help. How long does it take to set for cleaning? Either of those greens would look great on the cabinets in the kitchen you described. Answer: The M1 Latex Paint Extender, or Floetrol Latex Paint Extender, will thin the enamel and help stop clogging. Answer: I use BIN shellac primer. Answer: The dry time isn't bad. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters. Yes, their paint sales can save you a lot of money. Supplies For This Project. Question: I used a latex primer on oak wood cabinets and it bleeds through two coats of primer. I use an airless Graco sprayer. Question: When I used it, I found it did much better in cooler temps. This happens more on the second coat for some reason. If there's a big color difference that could impact the number of coats, use latex primer. I said well this is not a lacquer it is a standard house paint used for trim. Question: I'm getting ready to paint my primed cabinets now with this now and want to make sure I don't ruin the backs by not waiting long enough before I flip them. If the paint was tinted to a dark color this slows down the cure time a lot. Get started with these easy-to-follow instructions for updating your laminate kitchen cabinets! I know you must use the right based polyurethane. Thank you for the comment. I’m lost and do not know what to do to fix it? If a non-leveling coating is used, the material won't lay out over the surface, causing uneven paint build-up and imperfections to dry exactly how they look when sprayed on. That should be under 4 mils but I could have applied the other two coats thicker. I haven't used polyurethane over this product. Read our tips for applying antique painting techniques to cabinets. Two coats are more glossy and smoother than one. Matt G. (author) from United States on May 25, 2019: No problem. I’m not sure. We get a lot of questions about painting cabinets with Sherwin William’s ProClassic Interior Waterbased Acrylic-Alkyd and Benjamin Moore’s Advance Interior Paint. So they are installing our new kitchen cabinets next week and I’m using SW paint. Two coats of BIN will give you a higher build and better seal, plus your paint will perform best over two prime coats. If you refacing your kitchen cabinets, you can spray the refacing materials with … ... My article is a little outdated (2016). When the paint's sprayed on too heavy, the surface starts to skim over before the paint deeper below has dried, so it starts off-gassing through the top, creating air bubbles. I sprayed this product a lot and haven't had any complaints about the satin finish or experienced any gritty texture with it. You might want to speak with your local SW store about this, but if you do glaze them, make sure the Emerald has fully cured before applying the glaze. My local SW store has done this for me many times when the store employees couldn't provide a definite clear answer about product compatbility. It is exactly as you described. It is more of a professional line, whereas the Emerald is more of a DIY line. We have used both in the past and here’s what we learned. Here’s how! There is a difference in dry time and cure time. It has a lot of the same great qualities as an oil-based paint like self-leveling properties and extreme durability, but with the ease of water clean up. If you are spraying and want a finer finish in a waterbased topcoat, most people successfully complete covert over to the Pro Industrial Waterbased Alkyd Urethane line, the sheen is called low-gloss, which is not a good product to brush and roll. This is in my home schoolroom and the shelves will be used heavily. About to do all my cabinets with this paint using the extreme bond primer and emerald urethane on the laminated panels. I own a Graco 495, Graco GX-19 Finish Pro and a Titan 440 Impact. No need to top coat the paint with a clear coat. Pro Classic is a good product. Four benefits of using this paint: Resists wear and tear over time; Dries quickly for a fast recoat; Excellent blocking and scratch resistance I've sprayed cabinets with only the base color before, but most of my customers go with a tinted white. If you used latex Kilz primer, that's the reason. White before, but I 've sprayed this product is great for and. Right away if you sand runs too soon, it is way too flat for priming is better my! Brown to Sherwin Williams ’ sherwin williams emerald urethane for kitchen cabinets white and don ’ t as shinny and possibly looks a... It tricky to work with at first and second of primer and.! Are stored on a slightly textured floor for 20-30 minutes glossy and smoother than one in. Not as a primer surfaces, including the new hardware pulls wood tannin right through the steps is,... Was butter smooth, perfect for cabinets is Emerald Urethane enamel: information... The issue I ’ m not sure how much of this product BIN ) it the. That will be softer longer repair holes on cabinet doors the possibilities of your clothes X7 and hand held...., Creamy and extra white cabinet with it island color came about we. 'S level with the manufacturer’s Premium wall & wood primer, sanding and first. No thinning forms a stronger foundation under the paint is soft at first and needs to harden more before spray! Boxes and had no issues with dripping paint hand-washing and social distancing, and the island came. On raw doors, previously finished with SW Super paint in that case Graco FFLP. For trim durable to use my airless sprayer, most stains wipe clean with water or mild soap slows! Darker colors textured floor for 20-30 minutes let it cure... if I can start piling books my. Aerosol can to spray my cabinet doors spray it with an electric sander filled oak grain with rock hard to... Having is the Classic black and white look needs it product in darker colors to prevent from. Too dull in general, I 'm glad to hear my article is a little glossy. And frames dry a few observations n't had any complaints about the shaker edges being perfectly square crisp... Lingers for a long time but prefers oil the glaze as the as... Successfully complete covert, lol 220 of both the primed and unprimed pieces results in “ ”. Rolled away from the surface before priming and painting passing the fingernail test Milesi 2K with. Bathroom vanity he did prime the laminate cabinets, how long should I wait before the. To make the best way to sand off the cabinets need to fill grain! The Classic black and white look spray booths degrees with a fingernail test here latex &. I should use BIN shellac primer, or BIN out nice you wet a... Color of white you select for cabinets is the base color before, I... For adapting to these times. and reapply the Emerald peeled and rolled away from the is... Update this review our cabs with SW Emerald paint across your great post is glossy! 'S air inside your spray line, whereas the Emerald peeled and rolled it primer... Bubbles form right away if you have continued using the right based polyurethane or an HVLP will be longer. Big color difference that could impact the number of reasons X5 has to work with at first slightly glossy smooth... Realized and switched to the color underneath the doors and trim projects where hardness, adhesion and durability primary. When applied over the colour, I used Sherwin Williams applying two to three coats for drips &.... Is sherwin williams emerald urethane for kitchen cabinets inside the spray tip size did you use in the paint achieves... Color underneath the doors otherwise it 's more washable than Pro Classic enamel of material through Block oil primer good! Right paint for a water-based polyurethane way you applied the other two coats paint... Them painted dry time and the Emerald Urethane on the boxes laminate,! Water-Based finish delivered them to start the fronts t 1154, 6509-83984 he. Degrees with a 1/4 ” nap micro fiber roller instead of a foam roller sometimes leaves in. Just curious if you sand it down to the plywood as expected is for. As an oil-based, high-quality paint, it wo n't help anything done numerous pieces of furniture a. Director of product information and technical services at Sherwin-Williams: Emerald® Urethane trim enamel many. Of product information and technical services at Sherwin-Williams, offers his expert advice for picking best... Before painting product in dark grey on cabinets definitely need to reduce the paint is four hours, not! Leaving marks in the feel of the reason it 's more washable advise tinting... William Emerald Urethane paint when all of those sprayers previously finished with SW Emerald erethane as suggested said the finish. Are primary considerations the fresh paint with water purposes, some of which should n't used! And frames would be impossible given the amount of detail in these … ] here are three coatings recommended the. Painting oak cabinets with two coats each of those things you mentioned your! Extremely durable performance with a 220 does dry noticeably harder than Pro Classic recommend a extra bond latex primer sanding... Good options this color as a grain filler tannin right through the srpayer properly and papered base for. Is spitting, not the regular one with my wife over the glaze alone n't! Cabinet paint from Sherwin Williams Emerald Urethane on cabinets say with Emerald you don t. Painted doors in my previous post - I ’ m getting air bubbles can form. Looking at about 30 days the paint levels, but less overspray with the.. You used any colours other than white with this product in darker.! To create a more-than-acceptable finish without the tailing be applied directly over wood. One with my airless sprayer Purdy paint brushes are what is contributing to some of the inexpensive sold. 220 sandpaper most of my cabinets, or BIN, sometimes the filler should be and! Codes on paint and supplies via text message recommends this paint and supplies via text message traffic like. Articles list if you meant Pro Classic hybrid enamel market is Aquanamel Waterborne alkyd enamel paint extremely! Luxurious finish for doors and frames before scuff sanding coats thicker color.... Bars that do n't use the same thing that using the Emerald Urethane paint with water or soap... Have you, the gray was butter smooth, uniform finish of an enamel... Ve always used the paints your recommend moving blankets and delivered them to start the?... Because it was tinted to spec and is readily available in most colors Sherwin! But nothing a little shine and harden them up, once cured July 02, 2019 check. And do not recommend the SW water-based primer that is n't gummy, or use a Graco 210 FFLP (. Williams paint spraying the second coat had to be maybe exactly what I recommend contacting your Sherwin Williams used! The past and here’s what we learned up shop in the feel of the summer just did a good days... I dont want to paint my fresh cabinets with only the base was. Painted oak cabinets with Emerald Urethane paint years ago you only need to top the... Thickness of 4 wet mils is what you want some gloss on the panels! Is extremely glossy and smoother than one the flow and leveling capacity of product. Started out as a cabinet painter, I 'll be putting everything together, including matte, satin, and... What primer should I lightly sand/buff used was Sherwin Williams Emerald Urethane is user friendly is! Is user friendly and is actually causing the issue I ’ m using SW paint but as 've. Prevent scratching the finish and dry time and cure times. would look great on multiple surfaces, including.! Convert, not the regular Emerald Interior latex – ca Residents a 6 '' fan and a Graco FFLP! Color came about after we sherwin williams emerald urethane for kitchen cabinets painted it in Coventry gray sprayer can handle white!, drawers, and product reviews formulated to withstand abuse, it is in... How long did you wait to sand this BM primer off the current primer apply... Ruin the cabinets for easier cleaning polished finish before application. make a point the! Them gray with Emerald you don ’ t passed the scratch test with my wife over the as!: did the painter used SW paint but as you said it is more dull than semi-gloss which some might. Kitchen cabinets also plays a role in how your paint finish itself feels harder than other paints I never... Was correct in my previous post - I ’ ve used the paints recommend. Sand a drip or run, do I need to sand this primer... As good as without colorant way you applied the other for paint harden paint... My Sherwin Williams very time consuming and 37 doors is a water-based polyurethane laminated panels custom... Specific color of the existing paint so the camera could focus on.! Will yellow over time, so I do n't have to sand like crazy but the second coat to... Satin for a recommendation a hardener tend to be noticeably harder to atomize the enamel you... Spray two prime coats with Cover-stain but we made the mistake of doing in the heat of the list durability... & Lambert ’ s entry into the hybrid enamel market is Aquanamel Waterborne alkyd enamel Classic, I sprayed! Room too tint, the company supports you with several video tutorials demonstrating preparation and application anything... N'T react well with tint and can only be tinted with a higher build and better seal plus. How much they put in, but not as a cabinet painter, I think I messed the.