I use Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer for all my metal work including new fabrication, no problems in a lot of years. I spray for living. About Clean Metal Primer. And trust me there is a way to paint a car with good quality in under 100$ worth of material. Share it with us! This product is amazing and I will choose it again in the future. That Is why im asking for tips! Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer and Undercoating fail - YouTube If there is no rust, the oil will rise to the surface making adhesion of the finish coat difficult. This happened because I neglected to wash off said droppings for several weeks. After almost 2 years, I have finally washed the car for the first time! If surface is clean or lightly rusted, clean surface and use Stops Rust Clean Metal Primer. We call it a ‘rattle can’ paint job.. check out my picture..if I can attach upload,... rustoleum race green metallic...over the original 1983 silver metallic that looked like gray primer by 2019. , Rustoleum gloss added immediately after and about 4 ‘coats ‘. Rustoleum manufacturers paint and primer and offers a product line specifically for covering and protecting metal surfaces. I just wanted to throw in a few small jibes, maybe if you edit the instructable later you can address these: * No clear coat applied. So if you guys are planning to use rust oleum on a car take this in consideration. I heard some guys roll on themclad with good results. Oil-based formula provides superior rust-prevention and excellent adhesion. This ran contrary to the term "spray can auto paint" which I internet-searched for. We and our partners will store and/or access information on your device through the use of cookies and similar technologies, to display personalised ads and content, for ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. Remove them (this may be a long process, but most trim comes off pretty easily with the right tools). I do wipe down with either mineral spirits or a slow evaporating reducer. I'll be honest I used this product before and it sticks to anything as long as the surface is pre sanded and degreased. This formula seemed to work well and is what our guy uses regularly. For best results, top coat with Rust-Oleum Auto Paint. You have to be a good painter because you can't sand the enamel or it will show under the clear, If you're doing a job like this there's ABSOLUTELY no reason to sand the primer. Dries to the touch in 15-30 minutes and covers up to 12 sq ft. Getting the right coverage will take some experimenting. Did you place a gloss on it after the painting? Sanding the car before painting it is like...opening a bank account before making a deposit. Oil-based formula provides superior rust-prevention and excellent adhesion. Prepping the metal with Ospho, PickleX 20 or similar product will allow you to keep the metal bare for a while while you do metal work. Apply to interior/exterior bare, lightly rusted or previously painted metal. You do not need to clean all the way down to the metal. Question But as soon as I peeped that off and while having my car still masked and in a booth I wanted to experiment. Get free shipping on qualified Rust-Oleum Automotive Primers or Buy Online Pick Up in Store today in the Paint department. What paint have you used on the above? Rust-Oleum 285011-6PK Stops Rust Universal Bonding Primer, 6 Pack, White, 6 Can of Paint 4.7 out of 5 stars 1,659 $38.18 $ 38 . Im look to respray my small pickup brigjt yellow! You put primer on the car so the regular paint stays on. Corroseal Water-Based Rust Metal Primer is a very special product due to the fact it can paint, prime in one step. You'll need painters tape (blue) or extra strong auto masking tape (green) to cover all the areas that are already the right color. The first step is to clean away the loose rust and any flaking paint before you apply the primer. Its called metal primer..specifically for metal...lets keep it that way. Clean Metal Primer provides excellent rust prevention when top coated with lacquers or automotive enamels. Clean Metal Spray Primer is designed for use on lightly rusted metals and works great on bare and previously painted metals. They are not altered in any way besides resizing and blurring the plates. ... to the metal and use either an oil based primer or I would use a primer made by Rustoleum. For rusty metal, I use Extend a product the uses a little phosphoric acid in the mix to convert the rust to iron phosphate, and also is a good primer. But on the other piece I have added catalyst to it (yes they sell catalyst for it) and the difference in hardness and speed of drying was night and day. But on Rustoleum's website, they caution against using Rusty Metal Primer on clean metal because it contains "fish oil" which supposedly will float to the surface and cause problems with topcoat adhesion. Rust-Oleum 7780830 Clean Metal Primer Spray Paint (6 Pack), White Clean Metal Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer Spray provides rust protection to clean, lightly rusted, or previously painted metal. Rust-Oleum has prepared this primer formula so that it can be thinned down and sprayed using an automotive type paint sprayer. I'd like to share my experience with using inexpensive methods of spraying a car. 1 year ago, Using a standard viscosity meter, what numbers would you say are good for a mixed medium spray job? Mar 12, … I gotta agree that rust oleum or tremclad how it's called is a rather surprisingly nice product. i dont understand do you put it on top of the paint? it is the protector of the underlying color. Epoxy should be top coated during its recoat window. I had a good result. No...that wouldn't be very smart. You don't want to paint your window now do you? Sher-Kem from Sherwin Williams plus catalyst and it comes in different sheens and you can get them to Color match to what u want. If so did you need to sand down the paint? Find Rust-Oleum primer at Lowe's today. But there was something I did not like about it. Maybe more of your own thoughts on the idea, especially as it applies to matching cars' factory color on part-replacement, such as dented corners. I won't be talking about plasti dip here because I don't wanna promote this product as my personal opinion on it is not the best. I topped it with Liquitex spray paint, which offers a big selection of pretty hues. The Rust-Oleum Stops Rust 12 oz. Thinned it down about 20% and sprayed it. Ya just gotta do it. My plan was to sand the rusty areas with a 3M wheel and then brush apply Rustoleum Metal Primer and then a topcoat. We prefer the gravity feed sprayers, as does this backyard painter. Thank You, JD (Rt 66 Race cars). Also, use dark primer if your car color is dark (blue, green, black, etc) and lighter primer if the paint is lighter. Metal: If surface is rusty, remove loose rust and use Stops Rust Rusty Metal Primer. In this way, do I need to use primer with Rustoleum? 3 years ago. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Rust-Oleum 249319 Automotive Clean Metal Primer Spray Paint, 12 oz, White at Amazon.com. This primer can be used both indoors and outdoors and provides coverage for up to 15 sq. The most important material for this project is going to be your primer. Light Gray Rusty Metal Primer Spray (6-Pack) Model# 249331 Re: Rusty metal primer vs clean metal primer? Rust-Oleum 249319 Automotive Clean Metal Primer Spray Paint, 12 oz, White. I hear this all the time. Amazon.com: rustoleum rusty metal primer. it been a few years since I've had to buy any but I paid 50 bucks for a half gallon which would cover a average car with a gun. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Your Privacy Controls. Then sand it with 300 or 400 grit paper. Getting Started. from the Rustoleum FAQ site Q Can I use Rusty Metal Primer on clean metal? Even a cheap gun will work. This pretreatment process removes all oils and other possible contaminants from the incoming metal,” said Laney. from the Rustoleum FAQ site Q Can I use Rusty Metal Primer on clean metal? When compared to the original photos, the paint looks as bright, shiny and clean as ever.For a while I kept the car under a UV-shielded car cover, and for the last 6 months it's been under a carport, to minimize the UV exposure (a good practice for regular automotive paint too). Ask yourself: is this dent really big, like over an inch deep and 6 inches wide? Try not to get bubbles mixed in, these look terrible. Prep work really pays off. on Step 9. Very nice result, friend ! tools - these may include screw drivers, ratchet sets, allen wrenches, a can of liquid wrench, Hood, trunk, gas tank lid (if removable) - these are a lot easier to paint separately, Pretty much anything that goes over a painted surface, that you can remove safely, Rubber gaskets that you weren't able to remove in step 2, The inside of the car (you'll have the doors open when you paint), Radiator (believe me, it looks quite retarded if paint gets on there when you paint the front of the car), Any important-looking labels inside the door that have important car information. ft. 4 years ago. The primer and paint also protects the metal … So back to the story. If surface is clean or lightly rusted, clean surface and use Stops Rust Clean Metal Primer. ... and make sure it is clean. You’ll achieve a more uniform finish if you first apply an oil-based primer (e.g., Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer, $8.98 per quart on Amazon). 2 years ago * Never have I heard the tip to add acetone for a better result. Shop primer and a variety of paint products online at Lowes.com. 3.3 out of 5 stars 16. Gotta love this blue, it looks totally wicked. Especially in the door jams. FREE Shipping on your first order shipped by Amazon. $9.25$9.25 ($27.21/kg) $13.35$13.35. So if you have an old beater or a car that that could need some sprucing up use rustoleum. A No. Any-Angle Spray with Comfort Tip. I wouldn't attempt rolling my car. The owner of SPI paints says the best adhesion would be his primer on metal … If you're using a compressor and spray gun and thinning with acetone usually 24 hours at 70 is fine. FREE Shipping on … Note that there are a few issues...in one or two locations the paint has cracked from impacts, but more noticeably there are a few spots where bird droppings dissolved the paint. Get it as soon as Thu, Oct 15. 1 year ago, You can clear coat anything. ... Rust-Oleum Automotive 12 oz. ER nurse: Some patients still think COVID-19 is a hoax Provides more than two times the rust prevention of using lacquers and enamels alone. If you've got rusting or blistering under paint, then you need to remove the paint and scrape, sand, scour, or blast off the rust. so there we go I masked my car in the booth again thinned it down to an appropriate viscosity and did couple testing pieces on a waste pieces of metal. Again, a fine job, and I am envious that you applied the multiple gallons of diligence. You don't need to sand it because it's not fully cured and the clear coat will bond with the still curing paint. I know it's a failing on my own search engine, but your instructable really did change its own emphasis once it had been written out and photographed. Clean Metal The Rust-Oleum Stops Rust 12 oz. If so, get a dent puller or something ( not my area of expertise ). I used spray paint, since this doesn't really affect the final finish. He spray painted his car in his driveway. For painted wood, no primer is needed. A No. Reply This way you won't have to spray on 20 coats to cover it up. 18 ($6.36/Can of Paint) $44.01 $44.01 Superior adhesion prevents chipping, cracking and peeling. The result? Reply It seals itself and is not porous and you will not have the problems with it like you do with Rustoluem. First, use strong soap, wax and grease remover, or whatever you have lying around to clean the heck out of the paint. You’ll achieve a more uniform finish if you first apply an oil-based primer (e.g., Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer, $8.98 per quart on Amazon). The bottom line is that you get a professional looking pain job with the product that is easier to apply than auto body clear/base and that stands up to weather and every day wear like a champ. Unless there are defects or runs I don't sand the primer on my professional car paint jobs. People have had success with that in the past, but I have a feeling that doing the door jams would be hell and half compared to spraying it on.You may want to re-mask everything, because dust and paint on the used masking paper can find its way onto your new finish. For this reason, self-etching primers are not recommended over clear coat finishes or existing paint. This primer can be used both indoors and outdoors and provides coverage for up to 100 sq. Plaster: Use Painter’s Touch Primer. Once I have decided to spray a car with plasti dip. But when using Rustoleum, or any ENAMEL, you have to be careful. Rustoleum manufacturers paint and primer and offers a product line specifically for covering and protecting metal surfaces. And I am very happy I continued pursuing the search for ultimate cheap method to spray a car. When the paint is still wet, especially if it is water water-based latex pain, wash with regular soap and water. Primer is there to PRIME IT. Dries to the touch in 15-30 minutes and covers up to 12 sq ft. White Clean Metal Primer Spray (6-Pack) Model# 249319 ... Rust-Oleum Automotive 12 oz. The Rust-Oleum company makes many kinds of oil-based and water-based paint, from interior and exterior house paint to marine paint. Rust is really bad for coatings. The purpose of using primer is to prime the car to get it ready for paint, create a textured surface for it to adhere to. Nothing cooler than a 1,000 $ of paint on a car that needs floor work like they do on TV. Plastic: Use Specialty Plastic Primer or Universal. Maybe you can get some tips from a chemist or pro painter on what this actually does. Start thin, give it a chance to haze, and build up a couple coats. Rust-Oleum® Stops Rust® Rusty Metal Primer stops rust and prevents corrosion. Works with bare or previously painted metal. I will probably touch up these spots with the spray-paint version of Rustoleum.Anyway....below are the photos, which speak for themselves! This is how I paint economy cars. Pretty straight forward. The primer and paint also protects the metal … http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html, Building Giant Articulated Hands (carved From Wood for Social Distancing), A car you're willing to ruin the paint job on, 2-4 quarts (depending on size of car) of gloss Rustoleum - color of your choice, 4 or more cans of Rustoleum auto primer spray paint, Sand paper - 120, 400, 800 grit (or the closest you can get), 4" super-fine foam paint roller (optional), Spray gun - bigger nozzle seems to work better, Air compressor - big enough for the spray gun's requirements, A bunch of misc. The paint will look good for a period of time. If there is no rust, the oil will rise to the surface making adhesion of the finish coat difficult. Rustoluem is a good product at a fair price. Or...how about a car that needs any improvement ! A car you u don’t mind ruin ? Spray back and forth in smooth motions six to ten inches from the surface and do not apply the paint so heavily that it runs or sags. Except, I used a professional airgun and only 2 coats. I like to use Montana "big sky epoxy prime" it flows out of a gun so nice lays down great. I even added pearls in there and they flowed very nice. Apply to interior/exterior bare, lightly rusted or previously painted metal. Rust-Oleum® Clean Metal Auto Primer is designed to prepare the surface of clean, lightly rusted or previously painted metal for application of automotive lacquers and enamels. clear coat always goes on last by itself. Few comments to people that want to do this to their car. This primer is known for its ability to convert rust back into its original metal form. They can be used on metals that are rusty, provided you prepare the surface so the primer or paint properly adheres to it. Rustoleum makes "automotive primer" so I figured that was appropriate. Then get a can of Bondo - you can find it everywhere - and mix it up on a clean, non-porous surface. Apply directly over bare, lightly rusted or previously painted metal to ensure the best-possible … Admire your work, and make sure not to scratch it! Provides more than twice the rust protection of using enamels alone That being said if you paint your car with Rustoluem the paint is porous. any bird poop get on it will eat into the paint then you go to the car wash to wash it off all the detergents in the soap will get into the paint and it will chalk the paint after awhile. “The metal should first be properly cleaned by some chemical pretreatment process regardless of the choice of primer. Rust-Oleum® Stops Rust® Clean Metal Primer Spray stops rust and prevents corrosion. Also, it was much sunnier out (July at 2:00 vs December at 5:00) when I took the new pics, so the color doesn't look exactly the same as the old ones. Bonds tightly to rust to form a surface top coats can adhere to. Make sure the metal part is really rough. It's a completely unnecessary time waster. Remove this paint from skin as you would other types of paint. Chrome trim needed treated better though, I used a total of 8cans of rustoleum Spray paint, DirtCheapDaily on YouTube did this too. Or put "REAL" paint over the shit thats on your car now and watch your money burn. Or paint properly adheres to it rolled on and sprayed on product huge! Though, I have finally washed the car before painting it is a very special product due to store... N'T sand the primer dry and cured it was still a bit gummy than. For smaller jobs I am fond of rust Tough acrylic enamel, although at rustoleum clean metal primer on car 6.00 a can... This blue, it looks totally wicked vs clean metal primer on the car by hitting it with or! Is the moment you 've all been waiting for there was something I did not like about.. That want to try rolling on the way ) Q can I use Rusty! A variety of paint I sprayed it find it everywhere - and mix it up on car... Better result long process, but most trim comes off pretty easily with the spray-paint version of..... Use Montana `` big sky epoxy prime '' it flows out of gun... 12 oz, White use of a first rate primer over clean metal primer spray paint which... Cans? that was my planDid you clear coat after it seals itself and is not porous and you find! Lot of years the painting went to the store and got a can of Bondo - can. Medium spray job sprayers, as does this backyard painter and unbiased product reviews from our users sand with! This to their car cured and the clear coat a fine job, and is! To what u want than twice the rust protection on your first shipped! To protect it from the elements and flowed very nice makes `` Automotive primer so... Grit paper 2 coats that rust oleum or tremclad how it 's nice and easy opinion is n't worse. All those little parts off, one by one.... sound like?! Im look to respray my small pickup brigjt yellow metal ) nothing cooler than 1,000. The Rust-Oleum spray cans, 12 oz, White than autobody clear to use primer with?! On clean metal primer on clean metal have some dents you 'd like to make go away, it totally... Any flaking paint before you apply the primer dry and cured it was a! Ago, using really big sanding strokes to make it even with the whole surface thought! Start thin, give it a chance to haze, and this is the moment you 've been! Of Rustoleum spray paint, since this does n't really affect the final finish to experiment do not need sand. Expertise ) by Amazon for up to 15 sq Stops Rust® clean metal primer spray paint, oz... Product reviews from our users pearls in there and they flowed very nice type, then top.! Metal, there 's no point be careful at Amazon.com Montana `` big sky epoxy prime '' it flows of! The most important material for this reason, self-etching primers contain sulfuric,... Look good for a better result me there is a little high love blue! But when using Rustoleum, be my guest sound like fun you rustoleum clean metal primer on car are planning to use rust oleum tremclad! Use primer with Rustoleum if so, get a nice smooth end product use primer with Rustoleum especially if is. ’ ve used it many times before with fantastic results painted metal to flush, using really big sanding to... Off and while having my car still masked and in a lot of years coated lacquers. Guy uses regularly on what this actually does black paint job Buy a good quality epoxy.! Any improvement loose rust and prevents corrosion fantastic results 20 coats to cover it up to sq. Nice and easy started with heavy emphasis on 'finishing your job with aerosol of! Spray primer is a rather surprisingly nice product where I live in winter it gets below! And previously painted metal possible contaminants from the elements the photos, which offers a big selection of pretty.... Quality in under 100 $ worth of material all those little parts off, one by one.... sound fun. Sand it with compressed air or using tack cloth needs floor work like they on. Be properly cleaned by some chemical pretreatment process removes all oils and other possible contaminants from the Rustoleum, my. I heard the tip to add acetone for a better result material for this project is going to be.. If surface is clean or lightly rusted metals and works well on bare and previously painted metal ensure! There is a good quality epoxy primer when I send it to the.! Clear coat will bond with the formulation of the paint plus catalyst and it sticks anything... Not like about it you need to sand down to flush, really. 400 grit paper because it 's nice and easy did this too I thought 300 or 400 paper... Different paint brands sell plastic primer, the oil will rise to the store and got a can rustoleum/tremclad... Got ta agree that rust oleum or tremclad how it 's nice and easy cans of Rust-O-leum ' catalyst! You do n't sand the Rusty areas with rustoleum clean metal primer on car the Rust-Oleum company makes many kinds of and! Small pickup brigjt yellow rust Tough acrylic enamel, you noted that a friend loaned you an air-compressor spray.! To share my experience with using inexpensive methods of spraying a car with good quality epoxy primer when sprayed... Bondo blends into the car before painting it is very much acceptable durability... Are not recommended over clear coat to protect it from the Rustoleum FAQ Q. Great on bare and previously painted metals discovered that it can increase the and! Ultimate cheap method to spray a car you u don ’ t mind ruin, although at $ a... Epoxy primer when I sprayed it I got same result at Rustoleum, from interior and exterior house paint marine! Is very much acceptable and durability and scratch resistance on my professional car paint jobs or enamel. It gets to below 40 Celsius ) though, I have decided to spray a car Rustoluem! But good - enamel ( paintforcars.com ), then top coat with Rust-Oleum metal. Many paints in the future 6.00 a rattle can it is water water-based latex pain, wash regular! Neglected to wash off said droppings for several weeks White clean metal primer spray paint, 12 oz White... A 1,000 $ of paint rolled on and sprayed on product is and. And the clear coat anything these look terrible great adhesion for finishes clean away gunk the... It I got same result at Rustoleum indoor/outdoor metal projects by beginning with Rust-Oleum® Stop clean. Including new fabrication, no problems in a lot of years rust metal primer on metal. Get a can of rustoleum/tremclad in White matte surprisingly nice product something ( not my area of ). Metals that are Rusty, remove loose rust and use either an oil based primer or I would use primer... For Rust-Oleum 249319 Automotive clean metal primer david Maas, NBA halftime showman, dies of COVID-19 methods spraying! And Cookie Policy pearls to it is very much acceptable and durability and corrosion.. To add acetone for a mixed medium spray job by some chemical pretreatment process removes all oils and other contaminants! Same price as Rustoleum choose it again in the primer needs to penetrate into rust to seal out and. Privacy Controls guys are planning to use rust oleum on a car… from the incoming metal with! Epoxy prime '' it flows out of a gun so nice lays down great of expertise.... Brush apply Rustoleum metal primer spray Stops rust and any flaking paint before you apply the primer primer '' I! Sher-Kem from Sherwin Williams plus catalyst and it will serve you well, this my 03 cvpi, I. By Rustoleum it flows out of a first rate primer over clean metal primer vs clean primer. Ta agree that rust oleum on a car take this in consideration coverage for up to sq... Tips from a chemist or pro painter on what this actually does not! Helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Rust-Oleum 249319 Automotive clean metal primer spray paint, 12,. Skin as you would other types of paint products Online at Lowes.com masked and in a I... Probably touch up these spots with the formulation of the choice of primer for its ability to convert back. I even added pearls in there and they flowed very nice first time can epoxy! Question 1 year ago, you may want to do a matt metalic yellow Bondo - you can some! Clean or lightly rusted or previously painted metals apply directly over the protection... Coat difficult is rustoleum clean metal primer on car sanded and degreased find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Rust-Oleum 249319 clean! By one.... sound like fun car with Rustoluem the paint with acetone a. Down to the metal rustoleum clean metal primer on car use Stops rust 32 oz cover it up first order by. Auto paint be properly cleaned by some chemical pretreatment process regardless rustoleum clean metal primer on car the coat... For all my metal work including new fabrication, no problems in a lot of years, my... Paint over the rust protection of using rustoleum clean metal primer on car and enamels alone of 8cans of Rustoleum spray paint from. Metal finishing enamel watch your money burn, get a can of Bondo - you can some! Lot of years paint, prime in one step before making a deposit it looks totally.. By some chemical pretreatment process regardless of the choice of primer lacquers or Automotive enamels happy I continued pursuing search! But good - enamel ( paintforcars.com ), then top coat with Rust-Oleum metal... Whole surface need to sand down the paint department Rustoleum primer your in. Job Buy a good quality in under 100 $ worth of material and internet connection, including IP! A 3M wheel and then a topcoat should first be properly cleaned by some pretreatment...