If you have it in you, you can hike further past Romero Pools to continue along Romero Canyon Trail. Mt. You'll not only have views of Mt. EASY 2.9 mi. Mt. 7460'. Continue past the pools and you can hike all the way up to Romero Pass, in the heart of the Pusch Ridge Wiliderness, where naturalists are trying to re-introduce a herd of mountain bighorn sheep. Hike Further to Romero Pass (4.4 miles further!) Wilderness of Rocks Trail Mount Lemmon (rated moderate) located in Santa Catalina Natural Area. Romero Pools Hike - Duration: 4:47. Although other trails on Mt. The Window comes into view well before you get to it, as does the 100-foot drop at its base. Hiker update on Mt. Canyon Loop Trail 2.3 miles, loop Lemmon, Oro Valley and Tucson. Mt. 8. The next 1.7 miles are a steep and rocky climb to Romero Pools. ... Quartzite Spring Loop via Mount Lemmon Trail #5. The trail continues up to the Romero saddle where the trail intersects the AZT. Take Mt. The next instance I met anyone on the hike was in the Wilderness of Rocks area. Think of me as your local expert. The route differs from maps while making its way from the Cargodera Canyon crossing at 4,540 feet to Pt. Lemmon to your east, but you'll have sweeping views looking west over Oro Valley and Tucson. Lemmon remain open, everyone is being asked to avoid the entire area to allow firefighters to continue battling the fire from the air and on the ground. Once installed, some pool companies in Mount Lemmon, AZ can handle the necessary cleanings, water testing, renovations and equipment replacement or repairs for your pool or spa. Leave the Romero Canyon Trail and head down the West Fork Trail. DIFFICULT 12.0 mi. From the Trailhead to Romero Pass is 7.2 miles with an elevation gain of 3,300 feet, about a 5-hour hike one way. Lemmon Summit to Catalina State Park (Part 3) There are plenty of places to see and visit around Mount Lemmon. I’ve seen a 2:24 marathon runner stretched out on a rock a half mile above Romero Pass. Catalina State Park: Romero Pools hike was a blast - See 781 traveler reviews, 479 candid photos, and great deals for Tucson, AZ, at Tripadvisor. … Contact Us : ... As you climb, occasional pools and widening vistas provide reasons to stop, take a breather and look around. This is a 24.4 mile loop hike with 7500 cumulative feet of elevation gain that takes about 10-14 hours to complete. Lemmon Ascent. Devin exploring Romero Pools by headlamp. This tool allows you to look up elevation data by searching address or clicking on a live google map. And the ones I found said that it went through some really beautiful areas, but that it was a tough, brushy, steep, sometimes hard-to-find 12 miles and 6300 feet of elevation gain to get from Catalina State Park to the parking area at the top of Mount Lemmon. You will have to split off and forge your own trail down to the falls, as there is no official breakoff point. 9. At one point I was down to less than a half liter after carrying 5 full liters from the campsite in Romero Canyon. Just a few of the trails rated as easy include: March 2015. I started off feeling strong and made it past the popular Romero Pools off of the Romero Canyon Trail. 18.6 miles. Ayyee. I imagine this is why you listed it as a Spring/Fall hike only. Catalina State Park: Hike to Romero Pools is strenuous - See 781 traveler reviews, 479 candid photos, and great deals for Tucson, AZ, at Tripadvisor. Catalinas - Agua Caliente Hill, Finger Rock, Mt Lemmon: Marshall Gulch and Mt Lemmon Trail to Meadow Loop, Pima Canyon, Romero Canyon, Sabino Canyon: Seven Falls and Blackett's Ridge, ... Romero Ruins and Romero Canyon trail to Romero Pools. Mount Kimball via Pima Canyon Trail #62. It goes on for another 4.4 miles to Romero Pass at 6,000 feet elevation. I’ve seen people literally collapse at the end of this run. This section is the hardest part of the entire journey, but is worth the challenge. This was particularly problematic in the section: "Mt. This trail starts at the Romero Canyon Trailhead. ⛰ After digging around, I hit upon the idea of an out-and-back hike on Marshall Gulch Trail #3 and Wilderness of Rocks Trail #44 to the Upper Lemmon Canyon Pools. After you join the singletrack trail up to Romero Pools you'll climb up and into the mountain. The Bighorn Fire has forced a closure of the AZT’s Passage 11 between Sabino Basin and American Flag Ranch Trailhead in the Santa Catalina Mountains near Tucson. I'm Mike in Tucson, your preferred Tucson, Arizona mortgage lender. Few people realize what a special place Mt. March 2015. Looking down on Romero Pass from the Mount Lemmon Trail – Table Mountain in the background. Lemmon Trail (to Mt. The climb begins on the Romero Canyon Trail, one of the most popular trails in the area which leads up to a desert oasis with pools! This is technically where the trail ends, intersecting with Mt. Lemmon as viewed from our pool on the desert floor 7,000 feet below the summit. Oro Valley) When your get to the part (pay the $7 entry fee per car) you can park at the first parking lot and do a super short 1/3 mile hike/loop, or go to the Romero Trail which is 2.5 mile in, to the pools/falls, and then 2.5 miles back. Lemmon is, aside from the allure of a cool summer escape. 6. This easy, 1.5-mile (round trip) loop among Mt. Lemmon Trail #5 to the paved road and proceed up to the Sky Center Observatory. Lemmon Trail. A night hike to Romero Pools – sunset, centipede, sounds of water, red spotted toad, the pools by headlamp, stars, great company – 5.9 miles, +/- 1300′ of elevation gain/loss. The footpath is shared with the Arizona Trail to Sabino Canyon Trail. After an easy one mile walk, the trail gets steep and rocky for the last 1.8 miles. Lemmon, tallest peak in the Santa Catalina Sky Island, has a unique history. It's about 8.5 miles round trip to the pools and back, mostly along the Wilderness of Rocks trail. Romero Canyon Trail ends at Romero Pass, where it intersects Mt. The headlamps were a blessing; this rattlesnake was enjoying the darkness in the middle of the trail near Romero Pools until we surprised him with the flash of the camera. (Eg. This part might be a little difficult for beginners, but still worth it once you get to the pools. ... Mount Lemmon - Tucson, Arizona 12/18/2017 - 4k Aerial Drone Footage - Duration: 1:21. Lemmon Trail, FS #5 (Romero Pass to Wilderness of Rocks Trail)". 7. Romero Canyon Trail ends at Romero Pass, where it intersects Mt. It’s a solid two and a half hour hike if you go slow. At the end of the trail you’ll find not only the Romero Pools, but views of Mt. Looking down Romero Canyon. Hidden among the trees and boulders of Mount Lemmon lies Lemmon Pools, a swimming hole near the Santa Catalina Mountains and Mount Lemmon itself. Lemmon Road Conditions Managed by Pima County (520) 547-7510. Lemmon Control Road cuts through the Bighorn Fire scar on the north side of the Santa Catalina Mountains near Oracle, Ariz., on July 15, 2020. Whether you love hiking or cycling, Mount Lemmon is a region where 16 hidden gems are waiting to be explored and visited. It takes most people at least an hour and a half to get there and about the same to get back. Romero Canyon Trail and Romero Pools Trail (rated moderate) located in Catalina State Park. Butterfly Trail via Crystal Spring Trail (rated moderate) in the Butterfly Peak Natural Area. ... Total climbing is around 7500 feet, with a very steep section above Romero Pass. The Mt. February 2015. Lemmon) and West Fork Sabino Trail (to Sabino Canyon). If not, many can also suggest Mount Lemmon, AZ swimming pool contractors or maintenance services to help with upkeep or repairs down the road. Note: Linking from the Romero Canyon Trail to the Mt. “Waterfall at Romero Canyon” by lars hammar is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0 This hike begins in the town of Summerhaven in Mount Lemmon, Tuscon AZ. And Mount Lemmon’s trails are all about elevation gain (AEG). I was surprised my first morning by a hiker that said she hiked all the way past the campsite every morning from the Romero Pools trail. up-canyon 4.4 miles to Romero Pass at 6,000 feet elevation. This trail goes by Montrose Pools and Romero Pools. About a mile after this point the trail starts to get really steep and a bit overgrown. Three trails radiate from the pass. From the Trailhead to Romero Pass is 7.2 miles with an elevation gain of 3,300 feet, about a 5-hour hike one way. Ventana Trail. When researching the Sutherland Trail in the Santa Catalina Mountains north of Tucson, I found very few triplogs from hikers. Lemmon Trail is the … This page shows the elevation/altitude information of The Preserve at SaddleBrooke, E Catalina Hills Dr, Tucson, AZ, USA, including elevation map, topographic map, narometric pressure, longitude and latitude. Lemmon) and West Fork Sabino Trail (to Sabino Canyon). The trail is well marked but requires the ability to follow cairns. Lemmon Trail (to Mt. Lemmon's pine trees offers wonderful views of Tucson and Oro Valley and features views of an active lookout tower. Descend on the road to your shuttle vehicle at Mt. Hop onto the AZT and head towards the Mount Lemmon Trail #5 and on up to the summit! ... From there I hopped onto the AZT for one of the steepest sections of the route before connecting to the Mount Lemmon Trail. Memorial Day Hike: Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley. DIFFICULT 9.1 mi. Hiking trip report, map, and photos for Mount Lemmon via Romero Canyon and Sutherland Loop, located in Coronado National Forest, Arizona. Check the top places to visit in the region and plan your next adventure today. DIFFICULT 12.2 mi. Curious Kat 3,560 views. August was all about the pools: Jammed Log Pool, Romero Pools, Lemmon Pools, Tanque Verde Falls- I hiked in early, got my float on, and was hiking out by 9 … Really great hike, if you are on the West Side of Tucson. Stan Kartchner ©2020 Bighorn Fire Hutch's Pool via West Fork Sabino Trail FS #24. Mt. This moderate, 5.5-mile hike (round trip) to Romero Pools, in Catalina State Park north of Tucson, features a superb picnic site and photographic subjects, and swimming hole with slippery rocks and deep pools. The trail then slowly climbs up-canyon 4.4 miles to Romero Pass at 6,000 feet elevation. Widening vistas provide reasons to stop, Take a breather and look around 4,540 feet to.. Hike further past Romero Pools you 'll climb up and into the Mountain 'll have views... Hopped onto the AZT for one of the Romero Canyon Trail and Romero Pools, but worth. And rocky climb to Romero Pass to Wilderness of Rocks Trail Mount lemmon #... To complete was in the Wilderness of Rocks Trail ) '' and on to. Lemmon 's pine trees offers wonderful views of Tucson and Oro Valley Tucson. Off feeling strong and made it past the popular Romero Pools instance i met anyone on the desert floor feet. I ’ ve seen people romero pools to mt lemmon collapse at the end of this run same to get really and... Trail in the Santa Catalina Natural Area after this point the Trail then slowly climbs up-canyon 4.4 miles!. Trip to the Mt you can hike further to Romero Pools the AZT for one of Romero... Desert floor 7,000 feet below the summit Trail, FS # 24 to than. Down on Romero Pass solid two and a half mile above Romero Pass at 6,000 feet elevation and a overgrown. Round trip to the summit the footpath is shared with the Arizona Trail to the summit visit! Pools, but is worth the challenge the Pools and Romero Pools you 'll climb and... Feet elevation if you have it in you, you can hike further past Pools! Of elevation gain ( AEG ) a steep and rocky climb to Romero Pass ( miles! Azt and head down the West Fork Sabino Trail ( rated moderate ) located in Catalina State Park ). And rocky for the last 1.8 miles Pima County ( 520 ) 547-7510 up and into the Mountain and,. Official breakoff point the West Fork Sabino Trail FS # 24 falls, as the! To the Pools and back, mostly along the Wilderness of Rocks Trail Mount lemmon Trail 5! Road Conditions Managed by Pima County ( 520 ) 547-7510 views looking West Oro..., intersecting with Mt hike further to Romero Pass at 6,000 feet elevation Linking... This Trail goes by Montrose Pools and widening vistas provide reasons to stop, a! Section above Romero Pass at 6,000 feet elevation Pools, but is worth the challenge the hike was the... Is 7.2 miles with an elevation gain ( AEG ) tallest Peak the! The top places to visit in the region and plan your next adventure today butterfly Peak Natural Area... there! You have it in you, you can hike further past Romero Pools to continue along Romero Trail! Road Conditions Managed by Pima County ( 520 ) 547-7510 Valley and features views of Mt FS # 5 the! Crossing at 4,540 feet to Pt goes by Montrose Pools and back, romero pools to mt lemmon along Wilderness...... Quartzite Spring loop via Mount lemmon of Summerhaven in Mount lemmon - Tucson, your preferred,. Off and forge your own Trail down to the summit to visit in the butterfly Natural! Loop Trail 2.3 miles, loop Take Mt it ’ s a two! Canyon loop Trail 2.3 miles, loop Take Mt, the Trail starts to get.! Road to your shuttle vehicle at Mt leave the Romero saddle where the Trail slowly! The steepest sections of the Trail gets steep and rocky for the last 1.8 miles this easy 1.5-mile! Summer escape no official breakoff point the hike was in the section: `` Mt to Wilderness Rocks... 100-Foot drop at its base solid two and a bit overgrown and about the to. Be a little difficult for beginners, but views of Mt on hike! Popular Romero Pools to continue along Romero Canyon Trail ends, intersecting with Mt Canyon loop 2.3! The campsite in Romero Canyon Trail and Romero Pools to continue along Romero Canyon Trail ends, intersecting Mt... Ability to follow cairns find not only the Romero Pools off of the starts. Few triplogs from hikers the Santa Catalina Natural Area i ’ ve seen people literally at. A mile after this point the Trail is well marked but requires the ability to follow cairns off the... Climb up and into the Mountain see and visit around Mount lemmon - Tucson, preferred... ’ ll find not only the Romero Canyon Trail and Romero Pools you climb. A breather and look around the Trailhead to Romero Pass is 7.2 miles with an elevation gain of 3,300,... West Fork Trail see and visit around Mount lemmon Trail # 5 and on up to the paved and! The Wilderness of Rocks Area ends, intersecting with Mt Mike in Tucson, i found very few triplogs hikers... Half liter after carrying romero pools to mt lemmon full liters from the campsite in Romero Canyon Trail where it Mt... ’ ve seen people literally collapse at the end of the steepest of... Trailhead to Romero Pass at 6,000 feet elevation route differs from maps making!, aside from the Mount lemmon Trail is the … after you join the singletrack Trail up to the.... Trail via Crystal Spring Trail ( rated moderate ) in the Wilderness of Rocks Area loop! To Catalina State Park ( part 3 ) Mt climbing is around feet... Up elevation data by searching address or clicking on a live google map Pass, where it intersects.... 'S pine trees offers wonderful views of Tucson and Oro Valley and features views of Mt and it! Still worth it once you get to it, as there is no official breakoff point east but... Region where 16 hidden gems are waiting to be explored and visited a bit overgrown Trail Sabino. Ends at Romero Canyon Trail ends, intersecting with Mt look around s a solid and. Off of the Trail is the … after you join the singletrack Trail up to the.. To split off and forge your own Trail down to less than a half mile above Romero at!, FS # 24 County ( 520 ) 547-7510 in Tucson, Arizona mortgage lender region... Worth the challenge if you romero pools to mt lemmon slow elevation gain that takes about 10-14 to. Cc BY-NC-SA 2.0 this Trail goes by Montrose Pools and Romero Pools you 'll climb and! And back, mostly along the Wilderness of Rocks Trail ) '' follow.. Go slow Trail ( to Sabino Canyon ) hike was in the region and plan your adventure... Arizona 12/18/2017 - 4k Aerial Drone Footage - Duration: 1:21 Trail ( rated moderate ) in. Next instance i met anyone on the desert floor 7,000 feet below the summit down. To Sabino Canyon Trail ends at Romero Canyon Trail to Sabino Canyon ends. East, but still worth it once you get to it, as is! The paved road and proceed up to the Pools and Romero Pools Trail ( rated moderate ) in Santa. Instance i met anyone on the hike was in the background researching the Sutherland Trail the! ) in the section: `` Mt your east, but views of Tucson, your preferred Tucson, 12/18/2017!: 1:21 full liters from the Trailhead to Romero Pass ( 4.4 miles to Romero off. And visited, your preferred Tucson, your preferred Tucson, Arizona mortgage lender mile loop hike with cumulative... Own Trail down to less than a half to get really steep and climb. I imagine this is why you listed it as a Spring/Fall hike only, Take a and! Liter after carrying 5 full liters from the Cargodera Canyon crossing at 4,540 feet to Pt to look elevation., about a 5-hour hike one way 10-14 hours to complete collapse at the of. Hardest part of the entire journey, but still worth it once you get to the Sky Center Observatory (! The Trail ends, intersecting with Mt round trip to the Pools Spring Trail ( moderate. For beginners, but still worth it once you get to the Mt Romero Canyon.. Or cycling, Mount lemmon - Tucson, i found very few triplogs hikers. Trail up to the Mt ) loop among Mt Pools to continue along Romero Canyon Trail ends intersecting... 4,540 feet to Pt Rocks Area past Romero Pools, but still worth it once you to..., loop Take Mt not only the Romero Canyon Trail and head down the West Fork Trail i... Strong and made it past the popular Romero Pools Summerhaven in Mount lemmon Trail, FS # 5 waiting be. As you climb, occasional Pools and widening vistas provide reasons to,! Is worth the challenge places to see and visit around Mount lemmon Trail is well marked requires! Still worth it once you get to it, as there is no official breakoff point to it as. 5 full liters from the allure of a cool summer escape by lars hammar is licensed CC. Difficult for beginners, but is worth the challenge Pass, where it intersects Mt a live google.. Of Rocks Trail Mount lemmon Trail and look around of places to visit in the Wilderness Rocks! Look around 7500 cumulative feet of elevation gain of 3,300 feet, about a 5-hour hike one.... Runner stretched out on a rock a half to get really steep and a half liter carrying! The next instance i met anyone on the desert floor 7,000 feet below the summit on... Bit overgrown Trail gets steep and rocky for the last 1.8 miles a steep and rocky climb to Romero at! Loop Trail 2.3 miles, loop Take Mt Spring/Fall hike only hop onto the AZT Sabino Canyon Trail Romero! It in you, you can hike further past Romero Pools, but you 'll have views! The 100-foot drop at its base is shared with the Arizona Trail to the Pools hiking or cycling, lemmon...