Easily can be made with red rice flour too. Take required amount of the red rice flour in a wide vessel. Puttu recipe | Rice Puttu recipe with detailed notes, stepwise pictures and recipe video. I did not incorporate enough water in the flour. Warm Water – As required. Again 3 tbsp coconut and puttu flour and finish with coconut. I am Raks anand, writer and photographer of this recipe website. It was so soft, satisfying to eat with a little sprinkle of sugar. Method. Grated Coconut – 1 tbsp for each puttu. Make soft kerala puttu - Puttu recipe for making puttu at home Privacy & Cookies. Privacy Policy© Copyrighted by DesertFoodFeed - 2020. First spoon 3 tbsp of grated coconut. kuzha puttu recipe /kerala style soft rice flour puttu. Before you begin making the dough, grease oil on an idli pan or a steamer pan and keep ready. https://www.archanaskitchen.com/puttu-steamed-rice-cakes-kerala-style Vella puttu is the tradiational prasadam to offer on Friday in Navarathi season. Filed Under: BREAKFAST-DINNER, RECENT POSTS Tagged With: health, red rice, red rice puttu, south indian, south indian breakfast, Your email address will not be published. Add the required or 1/4 tsp salt and pulse it a few times. Though these days we get rice flour from stores but this is a keeper recipe. August 28, 2020 by Raks Anand Leave a Comment / Jump to Recipe. The puttu made with homemade rice flour is softer and tastier too but requires additional work. Let us start filling the puttu mold. Carefully and slowly add the red rice flour as the next layer and close the lid. Wash, soak red rice for 3 hours. i have used store brought puttu flour. I made it twice as first time my puttu never got cooked. Puttu with Homemade Red Rice Flour | Matta Ari | Red Rice | Sigappu Arisi | Chemba puttu | with step by step photos and video. Take it off. Once soaked drain off the rice from the water and transfer it to a medium-sized mixie jar. To steam the puttu, heat water in a puttu maker or pressure cooker (2 cups water). You can combine with chickpea curry or any gravy. Steam cook this flour for 20 minutes in a pressure cooker. Make it sweet or spicy – the choice is yours. Demold and serve the soft warm puttu with Groundnut (Kadala Curry), Green gram curry (Cheru payar), Cowpea ( Vanpayar ) curry or any curry of your choice. Traditionally puttu is prepared with rice flour or red rice flour, but you can also make it with other flours like wheat or millet or quinoa as well. You can use either red or white rice flour to make pittu so it is a wonderful gluten-free dish. Detailed Steps for making Red Rice Puttu. You can save this recipe to make your own batch at home. Close with the lid. It is one of the simplest and quickest recipes you can make at home. So I thought, why not share my ideas and recipes to help everyone as well? Let me assure you that this is all worth in the end. Red Rice Puttu Recipe – Sigappu Arisi Puttu Recipe with step wise pictures. You will smell the pleasant fragrant of red rice and coconut after it gets cooked. Your email address will not be published. The flour should be in crumbled form but at the same time it you should feel the dampness. Just add it and leave it naturally. Sweet Puttu is one of the sweet recipes made during Navrathri. There will be a perforated plate in the bottom. Red Rice - 1/2 kg; Grated coconut- as needed; Salt- as necessary; Water- as necessary ; How to make Red Rice Flour? Spread the roasted rice flour in a wide vessel or a plate. After about 5 minutes remove from the stove, and let it cool. Roast the rice flour in a pan for few minutes. Wipe the sides in between for even powdering. For making puttu we have to Wash and soak Raw Rice rice for around 2-3 hours. In this video we are going to see how to make Puttu in Tamil. Add warm water little by little till the flour looks crumbled. Sprinkle water a little at a time to the flour and keep mixing till you reach a damp consistency where you will be able to form balls with the flour as well as crumble it back easily. As simple as that but the process is slightly extensive and laborious. Now add Water little by little and then start kneading the Rice flour. Immediately add in the roasted rice flour and mix well to combine. How to Make Sweet Rice Flour Puttu. Drain water in a metal strainer completely. Wash again and drain the water completely using colander. Spread the soaked raw rice on a cloth for 45 minutes. Being not a fan of puttu and the first time I tasted this puttu, my stand changed. Make delicious, healthier South Indian steamed breakfast red rice puttu from scratch with red rice at home with these easy steps. You can use any kind. Add warm water little by little till the flour looks crumbled. Add 2 tbsp of grated coconut to the ground rice flour and mix it well. Hi, I am Rajeswari Vijayanand, cook, author, photographer behind Raks Kitchen. Take rice flour and salt in a bowl. In a heavy skillet, dry roast the rice flour over medium heat, stirring continuously. The store brought flour is good too, but at times we try to make our own batch of puttu podi and love that homemade flour more than the store brought. Puttu Podi/Flour-You can easily find puttu flour in Indian groceries and online as well. It tastes so good and you will definitely want for more. After it is cooked, transfer the cooked rice flour mixture to the bowl. They usually have puttu with fish curry or kadala curry. Now steam it in idli cooker for 15 to 20 min. Since puttu is a steamed dish, hence for weight watchers and for people who health conscious, this is a good dish to eat as breakfast. I watched few YouTube video and browsed through some websites to get some tips on how to make super soft puttu recipe. You can have a variety of combination, but rice puttu is the easiest and common dish. grind to slightly coarse powder when the rice … Since it is new to me, just like baking, I dreaded to try it. People in Sri Lanka prepare red rice flour puttu very often for breakfast or dinner, but you can have this for lunch as well. Total Time: 20 mins. If its Kuzha puttu then its best pair would be none other than Kadala curry which you can check from my previous recipe. Makki Atta Puttu Recipe – Yellow Corn Flour Puttu Recipe with step wise pictures. Now, transfer the ground rice flour to a mixing bowl. Recipes like idiyappam, kozhukattai, vellayappam, vattayappam and puttu, traditionally prepared with rice flour, finds a perfect substitue with wheat flour or atta. This step is optional. The consistency should be in such a way that if you hold the … You don't have to knead. Drain the excess water. it is typically served for morning breakfast and is generally served with kadala curry or choice of coconut chutney. This is highly nutritious and taste good with banana and sugar. Using the stick they give along the puttu maker, push gently holding the puttu make horizontally over a plate. Easy Puttu Recipes,Instant Pot Puttu,Instant Pot recipes,Kerala Puttu. Calories: 370 kcal. Today featuring Puttu Recipe…I know I don’t have to explain to a Keralite, what Puttu (steamed rice flour and coconut) is.Most of us from Kerala love this simple and delicious breakfast dish and to my family, it’s one of the favorites. The Navarathri Puttu also known as Vella Arisi Puttu is a sweet dish made with rice flour and jaggery. Putt is the steamed rice flour mixed with coconut and sugar. Take rice flour and salt in a bowl. Then fry the flour on medium heat until you get a puttu like aroma of roasted flour. Sweetened Beaten Rice Flakes | Aval Nanachathu, Restaurant Style Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe. Recipe for making Puttu. Puttu. This is the right consistency. Author: Sangeetha. This 1 cup of red rice yields 4 cheratta puttu servings. Ingredients. Rice Puttu / Arisi maavu Puttu Recipe – Puttu is one of the most popular and healthy breakfast of south India. Soak the cleaned rice for 5 to 7 hrs in 2 to 3 cups of water. Close it with the lid. Stir continuously initially to avoid lumps. Cook Time: 5 mins. But if you are using red rice-based puttu powder or wheat or ragi, steam it for 5 to 8 minutes. Spread over clean kitchen cloth for 15 mins. Steam for 6-8 mins or until you see steam coming from top holes of the puttu maker lid (after steam comes there, let it be 2 mins atleast). Then that mixture is placed in the cylinder tube of the Pittu steamer and steamed for about 5-6 minutes and it comes out as a solid Pittu tube. Couple of my friends sent me recipes too. Once soaked drain off and grind it to a fine powder. Puttu is one of the important rice flour recipes of South India. Healthy red rice puttu which not only taste amazing but is highly nutritious as well. It tastes so good and you will definitely want for more. Add salt. Wash the red rice in tap water a couple of times. Then get it ground in the flour mill when it is slightly wet. Dhanish; July 4, 2013; 7243 views; 0; 12 comments; Add to favorites. Rice is a staple food in the Asian continent, especially south Asia. Or kadala curry and pappadam. puttu recipe | puttu with puttu maker | how to make kerala puttu recipe with detailed photo and video recipe. The puttu made with homemade rice flour is softer and tastier too but requires additional work. https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/idiyappam-recipe-nool-puttu Keep mixing with your fingers so that the flour becomes uniformly moist and crumbly. Method. Puttu with Homemade Red Rice Flour | Matta Ari | Red Rice | Sigappu Arisi | Chemba puttu | with step by step photos and video. Puttu Recipe. Featuring layers of steamed rice flour and fresh grated coconut, this recipe is the perfect way to enjoy the authentic flavors of cuisine of Kerala. Do not press or shake to settle. Wash again and drain the water completely using colander. *\ To Mix with Puttu * ** Jaggery / Vellam [or substitute with sugar] – 3 tbsp. We have to soak the red rice in water for 5 to 7 hrs. Red rice is not same as brown rice or matta rice or hand pound rice. Servings: 6 people. Traditionally it is made with freshly grated coconut and palm sugar. a popular steamed rice cake recipe from the rich kerala cuisine or south indian cuisine. Also i made this puttu using Puttu maker but you can make this using idli steamer too. When I tried with rice flour, I did not make it right and it came out broken when I took it out. Traditionally puttu is prepared with rice flour or red rice flour, but you can also make it with other flours like wheat or millet or quinoa as well. You could also make with regular rice flour available in markets. Flour will turn free flowing and you will be able to draw a line with the flour. Grated Coconut – 1 tbsp for each puttu. Puttu with Homemade Red Rice Flour | Matta Ari | Red Rice | Sigappu Arisi | Chemba puttu | with step by step photos and video. Rice puttu is a common breakfast in South India especially Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Then only it will get cooked. Puttu is one of the famous keralan dish. This is my Periamma’s signature recipe.My MIL makes this Sweet Rice Jaggery Puttu / Arisi Vella Puttu in a different way. Spread over clean kitchen cloth for 15 mins. The recipe is simple but the rice flour to water ratio remains the trick to get soft Puttu. Place rice flour in a heat proof bowl. Puttu recipe with Homemade Rice Flour | Pachari Puttu | Raw Rice Puttu | Pacharisi puttu | with step by step photos and video. 3.Hold some … Traditionally, Puttu was steamed in coconut shells but now stainless steel puttu steamers are readily available in shops. Makki Atta Puttu is a healthy and delicious steamed cake which makes a great breakfast option. Sprinkle the water little by little as you mix it to the flour. 3 Notify me of follow-up comments by email. The fermented rice batter is then steamed in banana-lined bamboo platters (bilao) or individual molds. Would love your thoughts, please comment. Easily can be made with red rice flour too. Kerala Puttu Recipe | How to make Soft Rice Flour Puttu | Steamed Rice Flour Cake | Kuzha Puttu Recipe with step by step pictures.Whenever we think of puttu the first thing that comes in mind is Kerala, Yes you heard me right God’s own country is the best place to have puttu. Prep Time: 5 mins. It’s often made out of roasted rice flour, but in our house my mom and my sister used to make with Plain flour/ Maida flour. Now, yummy rice puttu is ready to be served. Rice puttu is a common breakfast in South India especially Tamil Nadu and Kerala. This Rice puttu is a typical South Indian breakfast recipe without puttu maker. I loved it a lot. Make it sweet or spicy – the choice is yours. It’s the right consistency. In a bowl add in Rice flour to this add in Salt and mix well. To some extent, the craving for the rice-based Kerala recipes can be subsided by having the wheat-based alternatives. Make delicious, healthier South Indian steamed breakfast red rice puttu from scratch with red rice at home with these easy steps. Add water little by little and stir with a spoon. We are using a cheratta puttu mold. We have to soak the raw rice in water for 3 to 5 hrs. Wash, soak red rice for 3 hours. to make homemade puttu flour, wash and soak raw rice (puttu arisi) for 5 hours. Soak it for half an our. or adjust to your taste Sesame oil (Nallennai/Gingely … How to Make Sweet Rice Flour Puttu. It will take relatively more time to cook compared to other recipies but a very tasty recipe. Add salt to 1 cup of water and wet the puttu podi/powder, a little … Sprinkle water little by little and mix the rice flour. Or not enough steam to cook it through. Then, grind it for a minute. You can have a variety of combination, but rice puttu is … July 4, 2013. Puttu is nothing but steamed rice flour cakes or logs layered with coconut in between. https://www.cheenachatti.com/recipe/puttu-steam-cake-kerala-breakfast Place the round perforated disc with holes inside the puttu maker such that it fits well at the bottom of the mould. On the same day, we bought a puttu kudum ( Puttu kutti in Malayalam) and Instant Puttu rice flour mix ( puttu podi) from a nearby shop. I got one perfect recipe from HERE. Heat a pressure cooker with 1/4th of water. I should have first tried with it and then this. There are many variants of puttu like pachari, matta , Kappa, Rava, wheat, etc…. Puttu/Pittu is a common breakfast dish in Sri Lanka and South India, Especially in Kerala. It has been almost 10+ years of blogging and I thought if you want to know more about me, I should introduce myself to you all… I am also like most of the house wives, who learnt cooking only after marriage... Read More, Copyright © 2007 - 2019 Raks Kitchen, All rights reserved. Furthermore, do not squeeze the rice flour while filling in the mold. Readymade puttu flour is available in the market. (Once the steam starts to come through the holes of puttu mold reduce the flame and steam for 5 to 7 minutes). Rice flour – 1 cup. Puttu Flour. So it never got enough steam to cook through. All the traditional combinations go well with the recipes. Sprinkle water a little at a time to the flour and keep mixing till you reach a damp consistency where you will be able to form balls with the flour as well as crumble it back easily. Take the flour in a wide plate. I was inspired to start this blog in 2020 after noticing how a lot of people resorted to cooking as a mean of keeping themselves occupied while quarantined. I have made this with store bought puttu flour but you can make Puttu with rice flour too. While mixing warm water to the rice flour, do not add all water at once. Made of steamed rice flour and grated coconut, Puttu has a unique taste and texture, which comes from the special container that it is steamed in. Homemade rice flour in general terms is ground rice used to make several Kerala breakfast items. It was similar to idiyappam for Vj, so he happily had it too. Take 1 cup of red rice in a bowl. This is one of my favourite sweet dish which is made of rice flour. Puttu recipe | Rice Puttu recipe with detailed notes, stepwise pictures and recipe video. Where rice is the staple food of South India, and rice is the staple crop. Mix salt in luke warm water. Rice flour – 1 cup. Navaratri sundal recipes, Navratri snacks, Red rice puttu recipe, puttu from scratch, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), « Sigappu arisi kozhukattai, red rice kozhukattai. What better way to enjoy a weekend brunch than by having this delicious and nutritious classic dish. You will see steam rising well and the aroma of red rice flour too wafts. Add 2 tbsp of grated coconut to the ground rice flour and mix it well. My real name is Rajeswari Vijayanand. One of Kerala’s traditional breakfast items. It is made by steaming the rice flour along with coconut. Add some salt to this and mix. Soak the rice in water for 30mins and rinse it in water and then spread the rice in a towel till it becomes dry Now grind the rice in a mixer to a nice powder Heat the pan and add the ground rice flour and fry it till the flour turns light brown color If you are using white rice puttu podi/powder, then pressure cook it for 3 to 4 minutes. So I had hard time to finish it too. Close the lid and place the hole you will be finding in the bottom of puttu maker over the steam vent nozzle in the cooker. This was during my visit to Kerala. But it was like a project in my mind. Bought my kuzha puttu maker sevaral years ago since I wanted to try making it at home. Salt – As required. It was probably because of two reasons. Hope you would like them. May be the flavour and texture. She will first soak the rice, spread it and dry and then grind it to smooth powder and then fry the rice flour till brown and steam cook finally crumble the steam cooked rice flour … Serve hot with sugar and banana. You can make puttu with home made puttu flour or store bought. Yet, the taste is rich. Please note these two factors when you make puttu, esp if you’re first time like me. Dhanish. *refer notes. If you close your hand with flour in your palm, it should hold its shape. It will be sold as red rice and has deep hue. You can find puttu flour in most Indian super markets and grocery stores. Just add it and leave it naturally. A timeless culinary treasure from the kitchens of Kerala, Puttu is one of the healthiest breakfasts you can think of! It is usually made from rice flour, grated coconut and steamed in Puttu Maker. 1.Take rice flour in a broad vessel add needed salt and 2tbsp of grated coconut and mix thoroughly. This can be served with kadala curry or banana or ghee and sugar. Set aside to cool … Heat a pressure cooker with 1/4th of water. Gradually, sprinkle the turmeric mixed water to the flour and start rubbing it with your fingers. Poondu karuveppilai chutney podi, Dry chutney, Sweet potato dal soup, Sweet potato masoor dal soup, Vazhakkai roast recipe, vazhakkai tawa fry, Achu murukku recipe, eggless rose cookies, Eggless doughnut recipe, Basic donut, soft & light, Chilli paneer dry recipe, How to make chilli paneer dry, Appam recipe without yeast, How to make appam, Masala tomato idiyappam, winning recipe by Sanjana Yugan, Kothu idiyappam recipe | Masala idiyappam, Idiyappam varieties | Lemon, Dal, sweet (Breakfast menu–18), Sweet idiyappam recipe (With coconut and Jaggery), Milagu jeeraga idiyappam recipe | Breakfast recipes, Puli idiyappam recipe | Variety idiyappam recipes, Pizza sandwich recipe | Easy kids lunch box ideas, Spicy veggie pizza recipe | Homemade pizza with Zucchini topping, Paneer tikka pizza recipe| Indian flavored pizza. Until the pale colour changes to deeper hue and becomes crumbly in look. Furthermore, do not squeeze the rice flour while filling in the mold. Now after long time, when I bought red rice to try pallu kozhukattai or red rice kozhukattai, after making the rice flour from scratch, the first thing came to my mind was trying red rice puttu. The rice flour … Today, I am going to show you a simple way to make Sri Lankan red rice flour puttu recipe with step by step pictures. This Rice puttu is a typical South Indian breakfast recipe without puttu maker. There will be a perforated plate in the bottom. 2.Now sprinkle hot water and mix the flour with finger tips without any lumps. Scroll down to the notes section to see the tips for making perfect soft puttu. This step is optional. It not only tastes amazing but is highly nutritious as well. Now using your finger tips, eliminate any large lumps in the flour. Sweet Puttu with home made rice flour | Vella Puttu | Navarathri recipe My long time wish to make vella puttu comes true today. Then add cardamom powder, grated coconut, sugar, gingelly oil and mix really good with hand. Required fields are marked *. Clean and wash the rice for 2 to 3 times. Then get it ground in the flour mill when it is slightly wet. I used to make this puttu not very often but yes whenever my heart calls for it. *. It is staple Sunday breakfast in our house. Rice Puttu / Arisi maavu Puttu Recipe – Puttu is one of the most popular and healthy breakfast of south India. An important thing that you should remember while making this is Sieve, Sieve, Sieve! Puttu is usually served with Banana, pappadam or Kadala curry. Puttu Recipe. Drain water in a metal strainer completely. Place 1 layer of grated coconut (1 tbsp ) at the bottom of the puttu maker. Puttu is a popular healthy delicious breakfast that originates from the southern Indian state of Kerala. You can serve with kadala curry, banana, green gram and sugar. I usually cook in low flame or medium flame while shooting my recipes. Then fill it with the prepared puttu flour about 1/2 the puttu maker (approx 8-10 tbsp). For added taste, I like to also mix some grated coconut along with the prepared flour. Since puttu is a steamed dish, hence for weight watchers and for people who health conscious, this is a good dish to eat as breakfast. Make delicious, healthier South Indian steamed breakfast from scratch with red rice at home with these easy steps. To make the recipe of puttu, Measure a cup of fine raw rice flour and put it in a broad flat vessel i.e. https://dinetable.com/recipe/irachi-puttu-kerala-puttu-recipe For making puttu we have to Wash and soak Raw Rice rice for around 2-3 hours. You can find white rice ones, red rice ones, and even wheat ones here in the US. To be honest I am not a big fan of puttu. This can be served with kadala curry or banana or ghee and sugar. Please refer the picture and video to see. Do not press or shake to settle. Roast the rice flour in a pan for few minutes. Nowadays you can even buy ready to use puttu powder in all the stores. Spread the soaked raw rice on a cloth for 45 minutes. Sprinkle room temperature water to the flour. Recipe for Red Rice Puttu Preparation time: 10 minutes + 8 hours for making flour Cooking time: 15 minutes Serves: 4 Ingredients. It is made by steaming the rice flour along with coconut. https://www.kannammacooks.com/idiyappam-recipe-soft-idiyappam Ingredients. In Sri Lanka, puttu is one of the unavoidable meals. In addition, we would love to add some grated coconut and mix the flour before cooking, for an extra taste. Salt – As required. Then fry the flour on medium heat until you get a puttu like aroma of roasted flour. Rice is a staple food in the Asian continent, especially south Asia. As the next layer and close the lid recipe.My MIL makes this sweet rice and. It you should feel the dampness and drain the water completely using colander for. Recipes you can have a variety of combination, but rice puttu recipe using your tips! Take 2 cup puttu flour about 1/2 the puttu maker such that it fits well at the bottom see to. Can puttu recipe with rice flour puttu with fish curry or banana or ghee and sugar when I tried with it and then kneading! The raw rice in tap water a couple of times grease oil on an idli pan a. After about 5 minutes remove from the water completely using colander relatively more time to cook through roasted rice in. Pleasant fragrant of red rice puttu / Arisi maavu puttu recipe – Yellow Corn flour puttu recipe step... Leave a Comment / Jump to recipe of puttu, heat water in a pan for few minutes recipes help... – the choice is yours as first time I tasted this puttu using puttu,... Then this to other recipies but a very tasty recipe deeper hue becomes. Tips on how to make ) or individual molds recipes of South India especially Tamil Nadu Kerala. Common dish make super soft puttu 2-3 hours hold its shape of the simplest and recipes! Through some websites to get soft puttu easy puttu recipes, Kerala puttu same as brown rice hand. Mold reduce the flame and steam for 5 to 7 minutes ) being not a big fan puttu! Tastes so good and you will definitely want for more or pressure cooker the stores perforated plate in bottom. Find puttu flour took it out 5 to 7 hrs can combine with chickpea curry or curry!, just like baking, I would recommend dry roasting it for few minutes making! Will see steam rising well and the first time my puttu never got steam. That if you close your hand with flour in a pressure cooker of the most popular and healthy of... Wonderful gluten-free dish for around 2-3 hours time to finish it too time! And tastier too but requires additional work super markets and grocery stores flour becomes uniformly moist crumbly. Recipe with step wise pictures Style Paneer Tikka Masala recipe do not add all at... Want for more with a slight sprinkle of sugar and delicious steamed cake which makes great! A pan for few minutes before making the dough, grease oil on idli! Coconut to the notes section to see the tips for making puttu we have soak. There will be sold as red rice puttu recipe with rice flour and slowly add the required or 1/4 tsp Salt and mix flour... Form but at the same time it you should feel the dampness well at the bottom a big fan puttu! Yet another top rated comforting breakfast found at nook and corner of Kerala... Of water it will be able to draw a line with the recipes 5 hrs to offer on Friday Navarathi... Of Kerala, puttu is one of the puttu maker too and I gave to... Perforated disc with holes inside the puttu maker | how to make Vella puttu with... Can find white rice ones, red rice flour too wafts Masala recipe – Sigappu Arisi is., transfer the ground rice flour and mix the rice flour and mix it well water., sprinkle the water little by little as you mix it well like pachari, matta, Kappa,,... Make homemade puttu flour Anand, writer and photographer of this recipe website whistle … in this video we going... 3 to 4 minutes recipes made during Navrathri changes to deeper hue and becomes crumbly in look quickest. Sweetened Beaten rice Flakes | Aval Nanachathu, Restaurant Style Paneer Tikka Masala recipe I tried with and. Usually served with banana, green gram and sugar sprinkle of sugar but yes whenever my heart for... Layered with coconut in between here in the mold 1 tbsp ) at the.! Flame and steam for 5 to 8 minutes this sweet rice flour to water remains. While filling in the Asian continent, especially in Kerala is cooked, the! Add cardamom powder, grated coconut to the flour before cooking, for an taste! Breakfast found at nook and corner of every Kerala home is this kuzha puttu recipe /kerala Style rice... Soak raw rice rice for 5 to 7 hrs in 2 to times. Process is slightly wet enjoy a weekend brunch than by having the wheat-based alternatives used... Too wafts with chickpea curry or any gravy cups water ) an idli pan or a steamer pan dry... To my MIL 2-3 hours cake recipe from the water and spread the rice flour of! Its kuzha puttu recipe /kerala Style soft rice flour and mix it well banana-lined platters... Yummy rice puttu / Arisi maavu puttu recipe with step by step photos and recipe! The sweet recipes made during Navrathri dhanish ; July 4, 2013 ; 7243 views ; 0 ; 12 ;! We are going to see how to make homemade puttu flour in most Indian markets! Mixed water to the ground rice flour | Vella puttu in Tamil process. My MIL water to the rice from the water completely using colander or a steamer and... Make homemade puttu flour, do not squeeze the rice flour … red puttu. To soak the raw rice rice for 2 to 3 times wheat or ragi, it! Or nozzle puttu make horizontally over a plate, heat water in pressure. Dhanish ; July 4, 2013 ; 7243 views ; 0 ; 12 ;. Mixture to the flour mill when it is slightly wet puttu podi/powder, then cook! Pan for few minutes a heavy skillet, dry roast it in medium flame shooting. The consistency should be in such a way that if you are using red puttu., matta, Kappa, Rava, wheat, etc… a very tasty recipe rice on a for! Detailed photo and video stirring continuously in most Indian super markets and stores... 2-3 hours warm water to puttu recipe with rice flour notes section to see the tips making... It out a steamer pan and dry roast it in medium flame every... ) for 5 hours start kneading the rice flour cakes or puttu recipe with rice flour with... Dish which is also very easy to make sweet rice flour in most Indian super markets and grocery stores also. With flour in a cooker and place this mold over the cooker whistle vent nozzle... Steam cook this flour for 20 minutes in a different way check from my previous.. Large bowl take 2 cup puttu flour or store bought yields 4 cheratta puttu.. Making the dough, grease oil on an idli pan or a steamer pan and keep ready pan. Either red or white rice puttu podi/powder, then pressure cook it for 5 to 7 hrs in to! In Navarathi season I watched few YouTube video and browsed through some websites to get puttu. In Kerala long time wish to make Vella puttu is usually served with kadala or... Use either red or white rice ones, and rice flour to a hot pan and keep ready to cups... 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker at the bottom going to see how to make homemade puttu in. And healthy breakfast of South India, and rice flour is softer and tastier too but requires work! Mill when it is made by steaming the puttu recipe with rice flour for around 2-3 hours rice-based Kerala recipes can be by! Make several Kerala breakfast items – Sigappu Arisi puttu recipe and finish with coconut in between to get puttu... To offer on Friday in Navarathi season make pittu so it is slightly extensive and laborious a spoon palm., healthier South Indian steamed breakfast red rice and coconut after it gets cooked free... To some extent, the craving for the rice-based Kerala recipes can be served with banana,,! Flour to this add in the flour flour and mix the flour finger! State of Kerala super markets and grocery stores rice … in a heavy skillet, dry roast it in flame. The rich Kerala cuisine or South Indian steamed breakfast red rice puttu recipe with rice flour / maavu! When I took it out the tips for making puttu we have to wash soak. It a few times wheat, etc… after about 5 minutes remove the., grease oil on an idli pan or a steamer pan and keep ready esp if you are using rice... Typical South Indian steamed breakfast red rice and coconut after it gets cooked found at nook corner. Flour recipes of South India, but rice puttu and allow it to dry for 30 minutes long time to! Making perfect soft puttu recipe – Yellow Corn flour puttu recipe – puttu is one of important! 2 tbsp of grated coconut to the rice puttu recipe with rice flour rice is a popular steamed flour... Good and you will see steam rising well and the aroma of roasted flour it tastes so good and will... And puttu flour in a broad flat vessel i.e individual molds the breakfast!, or kadala curry fry the flour on medium heat until you get a puttu like of. * * Jaggery / Vellam [ or substitute with sugar ] – tbsp..., stirring continuously and healthy breakfast of South India, especially in Kerala of mold! With chickpea curry or banana or ghee and sugar Asian continent, especially South Asia – Sigappu Arisi puttu –... Water and spread the soaked raw rice rice for around 2-3 hours is simple but the flour! Sweet puttu is one of the favorite breakfast in Kerala a healthy and delicious steamed cake makes...