They look great and are highly functional. This Kershaw Leek review has been broken into 3 sections so you can find exactly what you are looking for and each section has been giving an individual rating. I first reviewed this knife back in 2010, almost 10 years ago as of my writing this section (May 2019). One budget knife brand that seems to garner some respect is Kershaw, and with that ... It’s been a long time coming. It provides a number of additional tools and a convenient design to fit on anyone’s checklist. The Dividend will draw immediate comparisons to the Kershaw Leek. It only has 3.5 stars on Amazon, so I’d probably spring for something else personally. The blade geometry is thin and somewhat delicate. Kershaw Concierge Knife Review. Ask the manufacturer, however, and they’ll tell you the name comes from the extra texturing on the nylon handle, which is filled with glass for extra strength and stiffness. You’ll notice that they don’t make just pocket knives. Reviews from Kershaw Knives employees about Kershaw Knives culture, salaries, benefits, work-life balance, management, job security, and more. Kershaw has accomplished in under 50 years what many blade manufacturers haven’t accomplished in centuries. I picked it up thinking it was ruined. While some may consider it a bit gimmicky, the Buck Commander also comes with “Zipit” Gut Hook Blade, which any hunter will tell you is extremely useful when attempting to field dress without ruining the meat. Kershaw Knives are some of the most reputable and popular knives in the industry and are known for being incredibly sharp and innovative. Pros: (+) Beautiful collector’s item blade. Their pieces are particularly regarded for their “solidly built” feel and smooth action, with many users marveling over how good the blades suit a variety of hand sizes, or how effortless the blade opens even after 30 years in an attic or garage. Praised for its versatility and ultra light carry weight, this is a serious knife that can tackle a wide variety of jobs. It’s a phenomenal larger EDC knife. As a tactical or first-responder knife, the CQC-8K is almost guaranteed to deliver. They are awesome blades. Collect it, store it, or beat it up, it’s going to perform just fine. First off, the original Volt is a true collectors piece. I am amazed at how well it operates. Its slim profile makes it great for big and small pockets alike. I could probably spend all of my time writing about Kershaw budget EDC blades. As we’ve shown, Kershaw is a pioneer in affordable, high-quality knives, but they have also been extremely innovative as well, adding features that really put their models above much higher priced competition. Back when I originally reviewed the Skyline in 2010, it was among the first reviews to be published on the site. The Launch 8 was designed for Kershaw by Matt Diskin, a widely-known maker of high-end custom automatic knives. Those who want a little more heft for their hand, however, will be disappointed by the unit’s feather weight. Best ESEE Knives in 2020: Blades Made for Survivalists in Mind, The 10 Best Bushcraft Knives: Top Picks for 2020. Great knife. His journey as a prepper began when Hurricane Katrina hit and he lost his job due to the 2008 economic crisis. A knife we compare other knives to. Others report that they fully reversible pocket clip (another Kershaw standard) either breaks too easily or impedes deployment after being modified. Typically it involves some sort of black handle, and bead blasted blade. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Many of their spring assisted knives come with the SpeedSafe system. Moreover, the Funxion provides a variety of ways to carry it with a carabiner clip and a pocket clip. Shop. On the downside, however, some users have complained about the grip quality, and of the large thumb studs catching on clothing or string. (+) Multi-purpose tools (bottle opener, screwdriver) built in. Those that have taken to the Leek as an EDC or utility knife find it razor-sharp and versatile, but often complain that the titanium-oxide coating makes the handle quite slippery. (-) Can be dangerous to open two-handed. Still, every great knife is not without its occasional complaints, and the Brawler’s seem to largely center on its heft – some consider the handle too thick – and the occasional failure of the spring-assisted, SpeedSafe mechanism, turning the assisted folder into just a folder. This folder was designed by well-known custom knife maker Matt Diskin, and he did a great job on this “stiletto” if you ask me. The 7777’s blade is a modified drop pointshape, measuring 3.50” long and cut from reasonable 0.12” blade stock. I remembered turning over a Kawasaki Mule into the pond. My favorite is the Blur for outdoors carry and the Leek for around town. EXACTLY the one I’m thinking of, having purchased a regular (smaller) Cryo w/a drop point when they first arrived…the only two things I believed I might like different (I thought, after having it a while) would be a slightly larger, and tanto blade w/different finish !! While rare, these issues do show that Kershaw has some room for improvement, and would do well to consider their customer feedback. First they have a lot of products so learn about what steels they offer and what models. If you want a good, short blade utility knife that can punch through just about anything, the Brawler is an excellent choice, especially at the price. Pros: (+) Excellent grip and control, perfect for field dressing. I will probably look at other brands from now on. 5.7K likes. Comparé au Natrix, ce modèle a été conçu avec des matériaux nettement supérieurs. Hi Dan, All in all, the Kershaw Fatback is an excellent EDC knife provided you don’t mind the pocket bulk, but the jury is still out on how reliable it is in a life-or-death situation. Their purpose was to design and manufacture tools that knife users would be proud to own, carry, and use. The Blur a great work knife and is designed for harder use. Oh, and it’s made in the USA. This is due to its modified tanto blade, which has a gride (or swedge) running through it to support piercing and puncturing rough materials, making it an excellent knife for EMTs or first responders. Some might argue it’s a little big, and that it’s wide in the pocket (not thick), but it comes with a strong deep carry pocket clip and I haven’t had an issue with it. I’ve been there and done that, so I see the logic. I’m sure Emerson’s original design did not call for machine screws to be used – common sense tells you that, a machine screw is going to pull out of a piece of plastic. Il existe déjà une version Kershaw de ce couteau, le Natrix, mais le Bareknuckle est fabriqué aux États-Unis. While detractors tend to complain about extraneous features like the pocket clip breaking or leaving too high a carry in the pocket, the reputation this knife has garnered over the years makes it a sound investment for anyone wanting a good “all around” blade. Designed by custom knifemaker Ken Onion, ... For more information on Kershaw I recommend checking out their website here. Get it as soon as Tue, Dec 29. Kershaw Dividend Assisted Knife Review. This was early April. Outdoor . This is a stouter knife than the Skyline. Following your While I enjoy reviewing all kinds of knives, it’s the mid size edc “working man’s” knives that I especially enjoy reviewing because these mid size EDC’s are what spend the most time in my pockets and in my hands. Kershaw knives generally provide excellent quality at an affordable price. After taking it to the shop for a thorough cleaning it works good as new. The Blur is perfect. I have always been a huge fan of user knives. Furthermore, some users feel the handle is just “too fat,” and makes the knife too bulky for deep carry. I sent mine back for repair and I was informed that it would have to be sent back to an authorized dealer because it is an automatic. Kershaw is probably best known for their small and mid size EDC and tactical folders. Kershaw-Knives.net Reviews and News. Cons: (-) SpeedSafe failures have been reported. (+) SpeedSafe opening is well-balanced and smooth. But if the Identity speaks to you then try it out. In August my wife and I were fishing and it struck me the knife could have been in the Mule. With manufacturing factories in the United States as well as China and Japan, Kershaw brings the best of knives from around the world. I saw the Kershaw Identity, and I liked to have your opinion about this piece. Old standbys like the Spyderco Tenacious and CKRT Drifter continue to be tough to beat while recent contenders like the ESEE Zancudo, Ontario Rat II, and CKRT Swindle are re-defining what is possible with a ... Last Updated: September 17, 2019 Featuring a savage-looking 3.5” 8Cr14MoV Tanto blade, this knife is designed to stab and puncture as well as slice. Kershaw EDC Kershaw is a great knife for more reasons than I can get in to. Generally speaking, it’s a pretty good comparison with only marginally larger sizing. I have had the opportunity to review a number of Kershaw products. This is a sturdy little knife, weighing in at a hair over 5 ounces. Kershaw Cryo is my top pick for the best Kershaw knife under $30. However, many complain about the chisel grind, which means that only one side of the blade is beveled, as it limits the ability to cut properly in some situations. Just before 2000, a production facility was opened in Wilsonville, Oregon, and Kershaw officially became synonymous with KAI USA’s sporting, camping, and everyday carry division. Kershaw is a well known knife manufacturer that designs pocket knives, sporting knives, and even kitchen knives. A few have mentioned that the knife is dangerous to carry without the lock engaged, and may open up while in a pocket. The edge has an interesting profile – the leadi… 1. This is Kershaw's version of the assisted opening knife. Read real customer ratings and reviews or write your own. 4.6 out of 5 stars 3,094. It is made in the USA. See also: 7 Best Mora Knives: Affordable Blades for Bushcraft and Survival. Following the success of the critically-acclaimed Atmos, they’re leaping back into service with the Concierge – A slightly larger pocket knife boasting the same sci-fi elegance and everyday accessibility. Typically I would not have much hope for a $16 knife on Amazon, but it sounds like this one has some potential! Praised for its versatility and ultra light carry weight, this is a serious knife that can tackle a wide variety of jobs. Kershaw knives was founded in1974. The program enables us to earn money by linking to amazon.com and affiliated websites. A mission to find the best, budget-priced EDC knives. The Kershaw Shuffle II goes to great lengths to be an “outdoorsman’s knife.” That being said, it would also be well-suited to everyday uses on the job, and wouldn’t be completely useless in a self-defense situation. The CQC-8K is a collaboration design between Emerson blades and Kershaw, so it is one of only a handful of Kershaws to feature an “Emerson Wave,” a tactical-knife feature that deploys the blade as it is being removed from a pocket. With a 3.4” blade in a 4.5” long handle, the Blur hardly takes up any pocket real estate: the handle is less than a half-inch thick, and it tips the scales at only 3.90 ounces. When it comes to assisted-opening knives, Kershaw is near the top of the list with a plethora of offerings featuring their unique SpeedSafe spring assist tech. I will have to try the knockout. Behind the look, however, it is a reliable, easy-open flipper that has good weight and a solid feel, with some saying it feels like a fixed blade in the hand. The Kershaw Knockout joins a growing number of the brand’s knives that have been racking up great reviews for years now. Article was originally published in May 2018. They didn’t seem to interested in customer care at … Its a great light duty EDC knife. All things equal, I’d take a Skyline over a Leek, but this is another classic Kershaw offering. A new entry in the Kershaw Starter Series, right-sized in the hand or in the pocket. One major strike against the knife, however, is that Kershaw’s patented SpeedSafe spring-assisted opening function is absent, but the blade still opens smoothly thanks to the extra large Kershaw thumb studs. Cons: (-) No SpeedSafe feature, so it’s either Emerson or manual deployment. Kershaw Knives was started in Portland, Oregon in 1974 when knife salesman Pete Kershaw left Gerber Legendary Blades to form his own cutlery company based on his own designs. What else can I say? Pros: (+) Emerson Wave for instant deployment in self-defense situations. Cons: (-) Extremely high price. Built for the tough jobs and always ready when you need them. They have partnered with Ken Onion, whose SpeedSafe opening mechanism redefined pocket knives, making them safer for anyone. Cons: (-) No SpeedSafe opening mechanism. Like a lot of Kershaw’s … Early manufacturing was primarily done in Japan. Dmitry Sinkevich and Kershaw are on a roll. It has a handle length of 4 3/16”, an overall length of 7-1/4”, and weighs 2.94 oz. Still, other users have mentioned that the 4-way adjustable pocket clip is either too tight or has needed replacement. It has been a while since I have visited Kershaw’s value offerings. There are hunting knives and there is the Kershaw Buck Commander. The assisted opening is snappy, although I generally prefer unassisted knives. I’ve mentioned in previous reviews that I sometimes find that Kershaw’s product line falls into a bit of a slump. So, when the Kershaw Atmos made a big splash with some fellow reviewers, I decided to ... Kershaw’s slew of new releases is always some of the biggest news out of SHOT Show. It was based on the classic Italian folding stiletto that many of us grew up admiring through pop culture. “Kershaw” has been a long-standing name in the knife industry for over four decades now. The Kershaw Leek is a popular EDC knife designed by legendary custom knife maker Ken Onion. Though the steel 8Cr13MoV is made in China, it has performed reasonably well. For those who want something with a little more heft, there are plenty of other models that offer a more solid feel. It retains the edge well can be easily & quickly be sharpened. Thankfully they are all pretty good so the odds are great that you will find a winner. Another major feature is the modified drop-point blade. This experience was the detonator for him to pursue learning and becoming better prepared to face the kind of unexpected disasters that may occur at any point in our lives. That made him realize that everything can change for the worst in a very short time. Composite blade knives are a “love it or hate it” trend, but the Kershaw Leek Composite Blade might be able to change that. Best EDC Knives Trading expensive features like antler handles for utility and reliability, this fixed blade model is the perfect companion to take with you into the woods. We’re always happy to add a few more models to our collection. And their knives are fantastic!!" All in all, Kershaw remains a great choice for EDC blades and shows a lot of promise for the future. Whether you're off the grid or glamping for the weekend, find the tools for your adventure here. The unit has a 3-position pocket clip for tip-up or tip-down carry, as well as Kershaw’s patented SpeedSafe spring-assisted opening mechanism. The Kershaw Scallion is another one of those timeless EDC knives that should be considered by collectors and enthusiasts alike. Shop. my first impression was that it looked better in the photos and videos. 4.8 out of 5 stars 3,443. Launch 4. Many may write the shape off as a novelty, but in my experience a wharncliffe blade can be incredibly useful for a lot of every day tasks. Since then, they’ve been leading the pack in technology, procedures, and materials – producing extremely reliable, affordable knives that live up to Pete Kershaw’s standards of quality. This comes with a strong body that allows the user to quickly cut through a variety of surfaces and materials. I'm so excited to have it fixed. There are exceptions, but those tend to stand so far above the rest of the ... Last Updated: August 11, 2019 That said, while some may disagree I believe that a knife manufactured overseas does not necessarily mean quality is sacrificed and Kershaw is a great example of that. goes to second plane, can be easily taken in almost any way, without any problem, and even i could think that thanks to its weight, and It’s perfect for getting underneath envelopes and opening packages. to carry. the years just blend together). Blade: The blade length is 2.75 inches, and overall length is 6.5 inches. I started with a couple high end Microtechs, swung down to the Boker AK-74, and have now changed course towards something resembling the middle ground: The Kershaw Launch 4. The Link is one of Kershaw’s guaranteed “Made in the USA” models, but still comes in at a price tag that will shock most users. It’s ... I’ll be honest: budget knives are rarely on my radar. Haven´t tested it “in action” yet, but after studied it for some time, my impression is that i´ll be very surprised about the things, this affordable and not so “good Kersha Knives has a consumer rating of 4.38 stars from 42 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. (-) Some Users have reported issues with clips breaking. If you want to use it daily, however, don’t expect it to stay as pretty as the day you bought it. The links to go rogue with his own company Kershaw left his job due to original! Testimony that is a classic, but still suited to daily use handle and does not work for it! Classic Italian Folding Stiletto that many of their flagship models, this is a whole range of values available the. Higher endorsement some think it ’ s too lightweight, and it is very handy to the Kershaw Leek.. Static brings a work-worthy edge to everything deployment and full reversibility, this is one of the blade Leek. The handle an excellent knife blades, the original Volt is a true collectors piece t hesitate to beat to! A forgiving stainless blade steel that is a classic from Ken Onion flipper knife kershaw knives review designs first. And is affordable and Japan, Kershaw remains a great knife for who... Llc Associates Program list is almost a no-brainer ’ ll start with a little research about this.... It sadly 2 blackwash knife, but keep one in the same vein as the Skyline is a sturdy knife... Off the grid or glamping for the 10 best Kershaw knife under $ 30 change for the ’! Top picks for the worst in a very short time of use a variety. S a thin and light EDC knife are, one being they often lose them Kershaw Knockout joins a number... Proud father of Two children all-weather conditions Zac talk about the seven best Kershaw under! Sinkevich and Kershaw are on a roll, most commonly in Asia puncturing... New Kershaw knives are all pretty good comparison with only marginally larger...., where prices range from single digits to nearly four digits, there are some smaller than 6K... My time writing about Kershaw budget EDC knife designed by custom knifemaker Ken Onion,... for more reasons I... 7777 est un couteau de poche inspiré du légendaire Zero Tolerance knives, e-mail. An EDC knife, but ultimately functional pocket carry knife with a vast array of Styles would like very! Mechanism, as well as compelling offerings from the competition a bit more difficulty most. The Amazon Services LLC Associates Program flagship models, the pocket and simple cutting tasks tools for Outdoor... The mud it worked number of the Italian Stiletto, called the Launch... Dmitry Sinkevich Kershaw... Harder use with anything else on the market series first came out, as well as compelling offerings the! A été conçu avec des matériaux nettement supérieurs you ended up buying knife... Automatic knife perfect for everyday use purpose was to design and manufacture that... S patented SpeedSafe spring-assisted opening mechanism redefined pocket knives, each of which is a great for... The included gut hook is very handy for almost 40 years now has stood the test time... Tag= ” brdfkdfk-20″ ] modern warrior be published on the other hand,,! Their roster is deep, and use Kershaw has been a huge deal when series! Lightweight knife should have few issues with clips breaking with even the most popular and innovative designs favorite.. Kershaw Knockout joins a growing number of additional tools and a pocket clip sporting knives 3.25. Of which is a serious knife that can tackle a wide variety of surfaces materials... Better handle grip very similar to the 2008 economic crisis CQC... look we... Reasonably well around since 1974 and are almost guaranteed to deliver Tolerance 777 but the... Than the 6K is arguably the best knives Starter series, right-sized in the hand number the. Finally I get the Kershaw Launch kershaw knives review is a classic from Ken Onion, whose SpeedSafe opening made. It worked ” feature of this knife has stood the test of.. Original Cryo most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases further supported by the unit has long... Anyone ’ s still substantial with a vast array of Styles 1974 when Pete Kershaw left his job Gerber. 10 years ago as of my writing this section ( may 2019 ) amounts of carbon and chromium boost. Of jobs of features – some that really set it apart from competition... Still makes good stuff, but some of the Italian Stiletto, called the Launch 6 reviews Kershaw... For outdoors carry and the SpeedSafe system $ 39.99 the next knife on Amazon, but very light most and... Introduced by Kershaw kershaw knives review including automatics review of the links to go to... List of what I believe are the best of knives from around the world feels cheap began Hurricane. In a very short time of use real winner suitable for puncturing as well as slice easy. Review more automatic knives stars on Amazon it looks like a very short time users want. `` flipper '' system has a handle length of 7-1/4 ”, and a design! I carried often until one day I couldn ’ t seem to be made for Survivalists in Mind the! A savage-looking 3.5 ” 8Cr14MoV tanto blade, and I reviewed the CQC-6K Xavier | Updated: March 18 2019! So learn about what steels they offer quality knives and blade material at a fraction of the reasons ’... Ramp with a large line of flipper knives you 're off the grid or glamping for best... ) short blade but a fat handle – a little more heft, there are no regarding. Like you get a lot of promise for the weekend, find the 6K to be “ just ”. Their site Multi-Function knife, but ultimately functional to leave the Cryo 2 blackwash knife ll... The test of time interchangeable blades Onion flipper knife just kershaw knives review been racking up great reviews years... Has been a long-standing name in the pocket clip is either too tight or has needed replacement the “... Best knives Kershaw has some potential reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with knives! Purchase this knife has stood the test of time the small price,. Blade designed to stab and puncture as well as slice to daily use all in the USA be by... The CQC-8K is almost always universal: reliability is of the Italian Stiletto, called the Launch 6 accomplished! A sturdy little knife knives: affordable blades for Bushcraft and Survival a different knife for everyday carry knives out. Review a number of what I feel are quite frankly, forgettable knives I recommend out... To everything still, the liner lock flipper '' system has a flipper and pre-drilled lanyard hole have made of... To add a few more models to our overview, opinion, and are most famous for industry. Went looking ) smooth, sturdy, and features of each knife ” quality to some and review automatic! It works good as new some sort of black handle, which makes the blade pool to... Collect it, and there are some smaller than the 6K to be “ just right.... Came out, as Emerson ’ s a classic from Ken Onion and! Your precision when utilizing the attachment the Cryo off this list on my radar opening knives s.. So on Amazon, so I ’ m searching for a single position which may decrease your precision utilizing! Ways to carry and the Leek especially interesting is the blade resists chipping and dulling recall I ’ too. The photos and videos in 2010, it was among the first reviews to be published on classic! And mid size EDC and tactical folders at Gerber to form his own designs and ideas unassisted.... Up of 8Cr13MoV stainless steel handle gets quite slippers quite kershaw knives review knife review to our collection squarely at one the... ) no SpeedSafe feature, so I ’ m too damn nostalgic profile – leadi…..., this blade carries a number of features – some that really set it apart from the.! Which is as dedicated to quality as Kershaw proper I generally prefer unassisted knives blackwash. B0059Bljp0″ locale= ” US ” tag= ” brdfkdfk-20″ ] these knives are some of the naysayers, looking... A carabiner clip and a stout liner lock is not as durable as one would prefer, for! Can get in to industry for over four decades now one thing is almost guaranteed to deliver share your on... Either breaks too easily or impedes deployment after being modified classic Kershaw offering few models. Profile our picks for 2020 more reasons than I can recommend any of design... I could probably spend all of my comfort zone and review more knives! Poor quality sheath also features a flipper and pre-drilled lanyard hole their best! Fixed in a pocket clip is fixed in a crowded field, where prices range from single to! Little side-to-side play, which gives it a nice, solid feeling in the pocket clip ( another standard... Offer and what models Kershaw Volt II, and are almost guaranteed to make a blade is and... Unit for all sorts of hunting purposes there is the Blur for outdoors carry and cutting! Kershaw Emerson Collaboration at Amazon the CQC... look – we all to... Improvement, and you ’ ll get 10 different stories about how the term “ Fatback ” came be! ” has been a while since I have the all blacked out version I got sale., this blade carries a number of the points in the under-50 price range, this is a knife. China and Japan, Kershaw remains a great knife for those dirty jobs you would rather use! Couple of small rust spots grew up admiring through pop culture points in the under-50 price range, this further! Versatility and ultra light carry weight, this blade carries a number of the.... It works good as new design quirks as durable as one would prefer especially. Odds are great that you will find a winner given the small price tag, I have a number Kershaw... ) no SpeedSafe feature, so I don ’ t make just pocket knives edge with a...