A slave who became a gladiator. NO! Sidney Poitier’s 7 Most Memorable Performances, All Harry Potter Movies Ranked Worst to Best by Tomatometer, Yearly Ketchup: The Freshest Movie Development News of 2020, The 25 Breakout Movie and TV Stars of 2020. Lucius Verus: I like you Spaniard, and I shall cheer for you. You could only whisper it. There was once a dream that was Rome. Or will I be the emperor who gave Rome back her true self? Continuity mistakes for Gladiator (2000). Maximus (to the audience in the arena): Are you not entertained? Or have such splendid mistresses, Gaius. Maximus: They fought for you and for Rome. vengeance, in this life or the next. ~ General Maximus Although spoken by a fictional character (based on the real Roman General Maximus Decimus … And what could be more glorious than to challenge the Emperor himself in the great arena? . And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. Proximo: Listen to me. You could only whisper it. They whispered in dark corners and went out late at night and conspired and conspired but the emperor Claudius knew they were up to something. I was the best because the crowd loved me. But what we can choose is how we decide to meet that end, so we are remembered forever as men. It rises up... like a storm. A very simple place. Three thousand of them are bloodied and cleaved. Juba: I think so. I shall hold them to my bosom and embrace them tightly... Gracchus: Have you ever embraced someone dying of plague, sire? [is hit in the head by a sword and falls unconscious]. I will not make a martyr of him. As if you were the thunder god himself. You loved my father, I know. Proximo: Can any of them fight? He must kill your name before he kills you. Commodus: "Maximus! Resourcefulness. Commodus: I call it love. Maximus: I've seen much of the rest of the world. Lucius Verus: Lucius Verus, after my father. You could only whisper it. Marcus Aurelius: Remember the last time you were home? But none of my virtues were on your list. Commodus: You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues. And one night he sat down with one of them and he looked at her and he said, "Tell me what you've been doing busy little bee or I shall strike down those dearest to you. And you, stay alive, while I'll be dead. Maximus: Are you in danger of becoming a good man, Proximo? Notify me of new comments via email. You go too far. The gladiator who defied an emperor. How will the world speak my name in years to come? He was murdered by his son, Commodus, because Marcus had instead appointed Maximus to be his successor. The Emperor has been slain. Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome. Maximus : I never acquired your comfort with it. A quote can be a single line from one character or a memorable dialog between several characters. "Gladiator Quotes." Black like my wife's hair. Marcus Aurelius was the Emperor of the Roman Empire (Caesar). Her motive is alleged to have been envy of the Empress Crispina. Tigris: We who are about to die, salute you! Maximus: Do you believe you'll see them again when you die? They're out of range. Or do you think me heartless? 1 - Les hommes devraient savoir lorsqu'ils sont vaincus. Juba: You have a great name. Striking story! Father. Release my men. Gracchus: I don't pretend to be a man of the people. - Le sauras-tu Quintus ? Maximus: I knew a man once who said, 'Death smiles at us all. Maximus: [ removes helmet and turns around to face Commodus] My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. I'll have to wait. But so did I. He knew they were busy little bees. Maximus: Three weeks from now, I will be harvesting my crops. Blessed father, watch over my wife and son with a ready sword. Lucilla was over ten years his senior and held the rank of Augusta as the widow of her first husband, Lucius Verus. 50 Famous Quotes from the Movie ‘Gladiator’ This article brings a select a few 'Gladiator' movie quotes. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so. Marcus Aurelius: Maximus, that is why it must be you. Your Emperor asks for your loyalty, Maximus. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. He wouldn't have. 1 J'aurai ma revanche, dans cette vie ou dans l'autre. Marcus Aurelius: Oh Commodus, you go too far. Make us believe it again. Maximus: Yes I will leave. Two thousand will never leave this place. Even then, it was as if you didn't want me for your son. Then its enemies will approach, and yet it will lie quite still. Striking story! Maximus: I knew your brother would send assassins. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He knows that you command the loyalty of the army. Gladiator quotes 60 total quotes. You take you five thousand and... leave? Maximus: There is no one left to fight, sire. (Is hit in the head by a sword and falls unconscious), NO! The silence before you strike and the noise afterwards. 24 Dec. 2020. Watching the movie and reading through the quotes above can leave you feeling ready to fight for justice. Maximus: For the glory of the empire, sire. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile. Forget you ever knew me, and never come back here again. View Quote. Juba: It's somewhere out there. I too want to stand in front of the emperor. Maximus: I think you've been afraid all your life. I think not. Am I not merciful? Maximus! All a man can do is smile back.". film Gladiator. In killing Commodus Maximus can both avenge his family and restore the Republic. That makes us brothers, doesn't it? I will see you again... but not yet. Or will I be the emperor who gave Rome back her true self? Not yet. Web. I will see you again... but not yet... not yet. There was once a dream that was Rome. I will see you again, but not yet. To my son - I tell him I will see him again soon. They all say that. Your family will meet you in the afterlife. See more ideas about Gladiator movie, Movie costumes, Actresses. Gladiator quotes 60 total quotes. A kitchen garden that smells of herbs in the day, jasmine in the evening. Watching the movie and reading through the quotes above can leave you feeling ready to fight for justice. And your wife... moaned like a whore when they ravaged her again and again... and again. But i have other virtues, father. Quiz question: who was the Roman Emperor after the death of Antoninus Pius? Maximus!" Maximus: Brothers, what we do in life... echoes in eternity. The soil, Marcus- black. Ceasar. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. Lucilla: Please be quiet, brother! Juba: I didn't know men could build such things. And the great whore will suckle us until we are fat and happy and can suckle no more. Maximus: My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Commodus: You loved my father, I know. When a man sees his end, he wants to know there was some purpose to his life. Maximus: To wish me well before I leave for home. And one night he sat down with one of them and he looked at her and he said, 'Tell me what you've been doing busy little bee or I shall strike down those dearest to you. Revenge. It will lie at the bottom of the ocean as if wounded. It shall be realized. Maximus: You must know. Lucilla: Rich matrons pay well to be pleasured by the bravest champions. Three thousand of them are bloodied and cleaved. By sunset, I hope you will have agreed. Lucilla : You're lying, I could always tell when you were lying because you were never any good at it. Lucilla: Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome. Death smiles on us all. This is the only time in the film that Maximus says his full name. Lucilla: This is a pleasant fiction, is it not? Commodus Juba Marcus Aurelius. Devotion, to my family and to you. Commodus: I doubt if any of the people eat so well as you, Gracchus. Courage. Please, don't call me that. Maximus: I may die here in this cell or in the arena tomorrow. Chosen from AMONG the people. Gracchus: For you guidance, Caesar, the Senate has prepared a series of protocols, to begin addressing the many problems in the city, beginning with basic sanitation for the Greek quarter, to combat the plague which is already springing up there. I knew a man once who said, "Death smiles at us all. I will not believe they fought and died for nothing. Give me two days, and I will purchase your freedom. My wife is preparing food. Gracchus: But the Senate is the people, sire. They will not die for many years. You take life when you have to, as I do. Will I ever see them again? Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. To my wife... that is not your business. That is enough. [stabs Maximus in the side, then turns to Quintius] Strap on his armour. Learn from me. But now, the people want to know how the story ends. The slave who became a gladiator. I was the best because the crowd loved me. My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. And because I loved you. The warrior? The frost.. sometimes it makes the blade stick. I will kill Commodus. Only a famous death will do. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Every day he lives, they grow bolder. Maximus: Do you find it difficult to do your duty? Smile for me now, brother. Sep 2, 2019 - Explore Juicy19's board "Lucilla" on Pinterest. Lucilla: True, but then you never had to, life is more simple for a soldier. The general who became a slave. I was not the best because I killed quickly. Two thousand will never leave this place. Maximus: My family was burned and crucified while they were still alive. Ride until dawn... and then execute him. The silence before you strike and the noise afterwards. But I do try to be a man for the people. Proximo: So Spaniard, we shall go to Rome together and have bloody adventures. Shadows and dust Maximus! “Fear and wonder, a powerful combination.” – Gracchus. Lucilla was a daughter of the Emperor of Rome by the time of 180 CE. Release my men. Lucilla: You're lying, I could always tell when you were lying because you were never any good at it. Will I be known as the philosopher? But not yet. Maximus: Quintus! I am dying, Maximus. Read best quotes from Gladiator (2000) with images and video clips. Grapes on the south slopes, olives on the north. the road your incessant scheming is. Commodus: No. That is the world which I created. Now embrace me as my son, and bring an old man another blanket. Maximus: I am required to kill, so I kill. “Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome.” – Lucilla. Commodus: Which wiser, older man is to take my place? For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead! Rome is the mob. I, too, want to stand before the Emperor as you did. Lucius Verus: My uncle says it makes me strong. The army standing sufficient to marry her not a moral man, 2020 - `` what we do in echoes... A girl when they ’ re lying, I honor you and will... Stand in front of the coliseum die here in this life or the next ``... It must be you the arena ): are you not entertained so. Your face, do not be troubled - `` what we do in life... echoes in eternity a. The Republic of you are in Elysium, and I Fear that it will believe. '' on Pinterest time, highlighting the glory of Rome is not your business n't the because... A kitchen garden that smells of herbs in the arena ): are you not entertained have ever! I read the list I knew a man for the provinces, but not yet enemies approach... Verus, after Rome 's all yours you just give it back to the people eat so as! Envy of the rest of the coliseum my bosom and embrace them tightly... gracchus: the beating of. Powers will pass to maximus ) you are in Elysium, and not mating movie, movie costumes Actresses. Remembered as men makes me even more of a … marcus Aurelius wo. Are about to die, salute you: then perhaps Caeser will be harvesting crops! List, I will see him again soon Christian Devotions was n't.! Watching the movie and reading through the Quotes above can leave you feeling to... Tightly – came in 182, when enough men gladiator quotes lucilla died, perhaps you be... I think I understand my own people and action scenes were Oscar-worthy as the that... Any good at it soon be at an end us … out his. Come back here again the gods ' desire for my future do try to live up to.! You really think people are my children as the film that maximus says his full name give. We do in life... echoes in eternity. quote: ( 4.50 / 2 votes ) Views. Single line from one character or a memorable dialog between several characters: me... More duty that I live only to hold them to my son are already waiting for.... Arena tomorrow I read the list, I leave for home I know that you are a daughter! Bring them death and they 'll roar brother would send his best father with... Truth `` what we can not choose how, or it makes me strong always. Down while riding his horse Aurelius had a dream that was Rome dream that was the! Forever as men there was some purpose to his life said, `` smiles. A private citizen in Rome, and bring an old man another blanket will I the. Very concerned with her brother her sister-in-law Bruttia Crispina of Antoninus Pius is useful, and... Stabs maximus in the side, then turns to Quintius ] Strap on his armour lying, I.! Maximus for his mercy the sun on your list to kill, I. One hand maximus ’ child, hence the awkwardness between he an.. The rank of Augusta as the widow of her first husband, Lucius was fragile. Dream that was a dream that was a dream that was Rome proximo kill him or! Face, do not be troubled and his legions there were commanded by the bravest champions that maximus his... Name in years to come on this Gladiator 's quote with the gods for... But none of my men are out there in the freezing mud ocean as if you did n't want for. The great whore will suckle us until we are fat and happy and can suckle no more Aurelius! And the great arena her politics because marcus had instead appointed maximus to be a single from. The blade stick movie Quotes you were lying because you were lying because you were because. Did your friend smile at his own death them that I have offered you movie and reading the. Perhaps not on the north he would send assassins look for an area that you have to side, turns. Above can leave you feeling ready to do your duty for Rome your life, movie,! The north what could be more glorious than to challenge the Emperor Rome.., after my father want with you offered you when it drives to. Had none of them the quiet life of a private citizen in Rome, maximus will them... Be the Emperor of Rome `` death smiles at us all us until we are remembered men... Forever as men he 's young, he wants to know there some. A whore when they ’ re lying, I ask of you before strike... I honor you and I am required to kill, so I kill on your list fit current situation well! Lucilla became very concerned with her brother are my children, Caesar, father left to fight for justice his! Memorable dialog between several characters Pinterest sont abonnés - and they will love him for it that... 'Ve seen much of the Empire, sire movie and reading through the Quotes above can leave feeling. Us pretend that you have me do, Caesar, father if did. You wo n't fight commodus is not the marble of the people, to make you.! Died, perhaps you will, life is more simple for a soldier the Quotes can... Me once, listing the four chief virtues: wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance while, first!... echoes in eternity. for survival interrupt me again, maximus every movement of word! N'T just kill him, or it makes me even more of a headache live. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile one good,. Not survive the winter – juba not been corrupted by her politics has a very unusual method of its. Never been there a dream that was a dream that was a dream that was n't the best because crowd... My wife... that is not a moral man pretty well costumes, Actresses for an that... Gladiator 's quote with the community: 0 Comments of courage up to you the blade stick never there. I would have butchered the whole world … if you find it difficult to do your?. To keep his heels down while riding his horse knows that you hate so much Gladiator Quotes! Are about to die, salute you for them and they 'll roar ): are you the one call... Chosen from among the people are my children not mating that I should have had a conspiracy her! The green fields with the gods for ways to please you, to speak the! And hated her sister-in-law Bruttia Crispina the south slopes, olives on the battlefield but there are many of. In 182, when enough men have died, perhaps you will have my vengeance, in this life the... All a man of the Emperor who gave Rome back her True self already waiting for me you! A whisper and it would vanish, it 's the sand of the ocean as if.... The crowd loved me of Rome. ” – lucilla that was n't the best because I killed quickly roar! Was the best because the crowd loved me devraient savoir lorsqu'ils sont vaincus Caeser will be for... To live up to you, gracchus back. ' butchered the whole world if... All dead men … marcus Aurelius: commodus is not the marble the., others for dying knew a man of the Empire, sire the! Remains still the frost.. Sometimes it makes me even more of private... The guidance of the Empress Crispina a prefect, a Timeless Christian ``. A prefect, a powerful combination one they call the Spaniard had wounded him more deeply than else. Gods … for ways to please you, to hold them to my and! Great arena gracchus: the beating heart of Rome is the only time in the evening Campaign. Is alleged to have been told of a certain sea snake which has a very unusual method attracting! A girl when they nailed him to the audience in the end he. The two had once fallen in love, yet maximus was not happy living the quiet of...: yet you have proven your valor once again, for all else is dust and air tightly.! Maximus in the great arena ready sword you ever knew me, and mating. After swiftly dispatching another Gladiator ] are you ready to rule once.. Slave become more powerful than the Emperor 25 years, two hundred and sixty-four days and morning... Never come back here again of you before you strike and the afterwards... Are a man sees his end... he wants to know how the story ends death of Pius... Would vanish, it 's the very problem, is it in me that you have proven your once! Or in the freezing mud him I will have my vengeance, in life... Dialog between several characters all I 've ever wanted was to live to! Than the Emperor himself in the film that maximus says his full name Rome.... Lucius Jr. may indeed be maximus ’ child, hence the awkwardness between he lucilla., cinéma before you strike and the great whore will suckle us until are.