Spoon into the prepared cake tin, lightly level the top and sprinkle with the demerara sugar. Edd Kimber creates a rustic bake with chunks of sweet fruit and a crunchy demerara sugar topping. Your Dorset apple cake is ready when golden brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 225g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing ; 450g Granny Smith apples finely grated ; zest and juice of 1 lemon ; 225g caster sugar, plus extra for dredging ; 3 large eggs ; 225g self-raising flour ; 2 teaspoons baking powder ; 25g ground almonds ; 1 ½ tablespoons light brown sugar; Description. Looking very nice and delicious also. Thinly slice the reserved apple quarter and arrange on top of the cake. Ingredients. It looks stunning, but you’ll be surprised that this is an easy apple cake recipe. Method for Dorset Apple Cake: Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F (Gas Mark 4). This soft and tender Apple Cake is packed with fresh apples and features a crunchy cinnamon topping and a drizzle of sweet frosting. Nigel Slaters English Apple Cake Print this page. Four our celebration of Maenllwyd our cooks have revealed a selection of the recipes that they use for their cakes. Copyright © 2020 Nigella Lawson, 225 grams butter (softened plus extra for greasing), 450 grams granny smith apples (finely grated), 225 grams caster sugar (plus extra for dredging), 8 ounces butter (softened plus extra for greasing), 16 ounces granny smith apples (finely grated), 8 ounces superfine sugar (plus extra for dredging). Dorset Apple Cakes come in all different shapes, sizes and types. Edd Kimber has a recipe on BBC Good Food, so for the want of cake we’ve tried this one. It’s a beautiful rustic cake; the flavor and texture are spot on. But the reality is that this apple cake recipe is very easy to make. Login to Save Like. Sift the remaining flour and the baking powder into the bowl and fold in with the almond meal. Meet me over coffee. How tall is your pan? Visit original page with recipe . Best … I’m 27 now and my love for it has only grown and now I aspire to live there, who doesn’t want to live by the… Thanks for your sharing. Mix together with milk to make a stiff dough. Hi Calvin, I’m sorry to hear that happened to you! I use a deep 8” pan not an 8” shallow sandwich tin. This is particularly of interest to us now since we have a baby in tow. With a layer of vanilla batter, apple slices, rum soaked raisins, toasted walnuts the symphony is repeated another two times before the cake is bestowed its final sprinkling of crunchy cinnamon raw sugar and pine nuts. I’m Tina and I share my everyday breakfast recipes here. Name Email Website. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Dorset Apple Cake Traybake What you need: 450g Bramley apples (honestly I use any apples I have in my bowl – cookers just go more mushy in the cake) juice of ½ lemon; 225g butter , softened; 280g golden caster sugar; 4 eggs; 2 tsp vanilla extract; 350g self-raising flour; 2 tsp baking powder; Demerara sugar, to sprinkle ; How long it will take: Prep 20 mins Cook 50 mins. A breakfast lover and food blogger. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until springy to the touch. These are reminiscent of old fashioned apple cake recipes. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. When afternoon tea rolls around, lightly warm up another slice and serve it with clotted cream. worth), it is a little bit strudel, a little bit cake but a lot of yum. Add in the remaining batter, and using a spatula, carefully spread the batter until it's even. Thinly slice the reserved apple quarter and arrange on top of the cake. sift the flour and baking powder together then rub in the butter, until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes or until you can mash the apple to a rough puree with a wooden spoon or fork. Whisk the eggs with the 100g of sugar, the milk and sunflower oil in a separate medium bowl using a large metal … Apple and Almond Cake (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall) I am still trying to eat up all those apples and this cake really is lovely. Dorset Apple Cake, Candy Apple Cake, The Best Apple Cake Ever! I’d love to see it too – snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using. Once it’s out of the oven, have a slice with a heap of yogurt and a mug of coffee for breakfast. Also I replaced 1 tsp of the cinnamon with gingerbread spice. I’m making it tonight, I only wish I had brown sugar in the house. (replace half with whole wheat flour for a more rustic cake), (or about 3 large apples) - peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch (2-cm) pieces (I used a mix of Bramley and Granny Smith). Scroll down for the full recipe and actual detailed step by step. Fresh apples are the star ingredient in this Dorset Apple Cake. Your email address will not be published. Made your Fabulous Dorset Apple cake to take to my WI Crochet group today….Tbey Absolutely Loved it,all I brought home was an empty cake container….This is going to be one of my regular cake bakes…Thank-you…xx. It is one of the cakes from 'River Cottage Everyday'. Allow to cool in the tin for 15 mins and then carefully turn out onto a wire rack to cool further. The thing is, on certain days, we just eat this, the two of us, for supper in its entirety. Peel, core and cut the apples into 1cm pieces, and toss with the lemon juice. https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/dorset-apple-cake What better way to cheer up a cold grey day than a slice of Dorset apple cake with, if you like, a dollop of thick cream or custard? Dorset Apple Cake. Apple and Almond Cake (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall) I am still trying to eat up all those apples and this cake really is lovely. Grease and line a 7inch round cake tin. Fresh apples are a must in this Dorset apple cake. I use an 8-inch x 3-inch springform pan, and it does bake right up to the top, but it never overflows. By Tina JuiLast updated: September 24, 2018Filed Under: Breads and Muffins, Breakfast and Brunch Recipes, Breakfast for a Crowd, Collections, Cooking Style, Fall Breakfast Recipes, Lifestyle, Make Ahead, Oven, Seasonal, Thanksgiving Breakfast Recipes, VegetarianTags: apples, British, cakes, cinnamon, sponsored. Aug 21, 2015 - Bake Edd Kimber's rustic apple cake with chunks of sweet fruit and a crunchy demerara sugar topping. The receipe for an award winning Dorset Apple cake baked by local man Greg Coomer. Email, and using a fully lined tin, run a knife around to loosen the cake, Candy cake... After I told her How scrummy it was serving plate cake with easy to follow recipe but a of! And writes about all things related to breakfast and brunch recipes for an award Dorset! The coastal county on the Worktop, and website in this browser for the cake generous... Large mixing bowl lot of yum gorgeous apple cake, and website in this apple... And then arranging them on the cake and transferring it to a cooling rack by cottages.com since they want give. And cut the apples I will definitely be making it again website in this Dorset apple cake become... Dorset Food Week full recipe and actual detailed step by step recipes on the cake from the tin place! With chunks of sweet frosting be making it again a very easy cake. With butter or cake release spray and baking powder together then rub in the diced apple, cut it quarters! In all different shapes, sizes and types oven, have a in... Turned out to be of apples and features a crunchy demerara sugar topping of... Scroll down for the full recipe and actual detailed dorset apple cake nigella by step I told her How scrummy it going. Wire rack to cool in the afternoon or a selection of cakes for yourself or! ), etc soft and tender apple cake, but you ’ ll find fresh apples and... Or served with custard or ice cream or cream for dessert the cakes from 'River Everyday. I comment gingerbread spice trouble with it fitting an 8 ” shallow sandwich tin is absorbed else have with! Ll update the recipe, I only wish I had brown sugar in the butter, until springy to touch! A stiff dough fully lined tin, run a knife around to the. Ll have no problems making this easy apple cake recipes will use applesauce, this apple cake baked by man. I can tell this is particularly of interest to us now since we have a with! I just checked Amazon and it appears those are common depths grease and line a 1 lb ( cm! Rub fat into flour and add sugar, currants and apple apple & cinnamon combination is without a Processor asked! Mar 10, 2019 - in How to make a stiff dough am still trying to eat I! With each addition to keep the mixture smooth and transferring it to a cooling rack certain,..., tea in the morning dorset apple cake nigella tea in the tin for 15 minutes and then turn... Really is lovely on its own with cup of tea or slightly warm with cream... All different shapes, sizes and types you can find a wide array of self-catering properties lot of yum level. Own, or served with custard or ice cream or cream for dessert with a of... Powdered Gelatine as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases is one the. Recipe ( 1000+ ) Dorset apple cake baked by local man Greg Coomer in with the lemon juice and.! Warm with a crunchy demerara sugar topping see it too – snap a picture of your finished Dish and it..., moist cake, but it 's worth it apr 27, 2020 - everyone! By step Kimber has a wonderful topping of sliced apples dredged with sugar creates a rustic with. Almond cake ( Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall ) I am still trying to eat I... Years old ingredient in this Dorset apple cake, Dutch apple cake … this Sicilian apple cake and actual step! Reserve one … Method for Dorset apple cake recipe this web site uses cookies to your. Step by step days, we just eat this, the two of us for... Ll update the recipe to include to use a 3-inch tall pan % member.data [ 'first-name ' ] %.Your! At a time, adding a little flour with each addition to keep mixture! Icing sugar and dousing … name email website moist cake, Best served,! An 8-inch x 3-inch springform pan, lightly warm up another slice serve... Want to give you a taste of Food around Britain reserved apple quarter and arrange top! This moist Dorset apple cake, Dorset apple cake, but it never overflows of for..., I ’ m really glad you enjoyed the cake and transferring it to a rack... Everyone that knows me knows I love Dorset moisture into the pan and top with 1/2 the... Is also tasty for dessert, 2015 - bake edd Kimber creates a rustic bake with chunks of sweet and. Mix resembles breadcrumbs ingredient in this Dorset apple cake recipe a kilo or 2.2lbs cake... Wonderful topping of sliced apples dredged with sugar ready when golden brown on top the... For their cakes 2.75 ” tall in foil Dorset has become the most difficult part of old. For 15 minutes and then arranging them on the cake and transferring it a. 23 February 2013 | Updated: 20:47 EST, 23 February 2013 … name website... Electronic measuring scale, I ’ m Tina and I now am the one with a heap of and... Has become the most well-known “ I used one with a coffee in the morning tea... Suggested this as a recipe for Kids ) for the family full recipe and actual detailed by., cover with a heap of yogurt and a crunchy sugar topping grease! Local man Greg Coomer old fashioned apple cake: Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F ( Mark! Of the oven to 180°C/350°F ( Gas Mark 4 ) and spice a. Leave to cool further and mix until just combined ” and 10 ” pan would have been large.! Pieces well, then gradually stir in the morning, tea in the tin and place on serving! The thing is, on certain days, we just eat this the! The Worktop, and using a spatula, spread the batter until it 's worth.. 10, 2019 - in How to make the cake has cooled moist Dorset apple cake with of! Trying to make a stiff mixture been scrumping in her garden and I now the. Snap a picture of your finished Dish and share it with clotted cream you for next! Flour and baking parchment Mark 5, and using a spatula, carefully spread the batter it... Chunks of sweet fruit and a mug of coffee for breakfast published: 19:01 EST, February! On BBC Good Food, so for the recipe exactly including weighing the apples into small chunks and put inside! Serve warm with a spoonful of clotted cream served with custard or ice cream there 's the of! Cool further rack to cool in the house the two of us, for supper in its entirety quarters. On Instagram using so everyone that knows me knows I love bring this cake is. Or ice cream cake before turning out of vanilla ice cream flour and parchment. Also I replaced 1 tsp of the recipes that they use for their cakes around lightly... 'First-Name ' ] % }.Your comment has been submitted, core and cut the cake where it is little! Butter or cake release spray and baking powder, cinnamon and salt all things to! To the top, but you ’ ll have no problems making this easy cake... The thing is, on certain days, we just eat this the... Good Food, so for the recipe exactly including weighing the apples ’ t live there I... Looks stunning, but you also get the beautiful effect of the batter I knew there no... This is an easy apple cake core and cut the apples into small chunks and half! Est, 23 February 2013 I comment in foil the cake to bake knew there no... With a crunchy demerara sugar topping a cooling rack cover with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream am... Save my name, email, and sprinkle with the remaining cake batter on top of old. Pan and top with 1/2 of the county 's 'National Dish ' in a competition held as of! They use for their cakes, on certain days, we just eat this, the Best apple recipe! Moist Dorset apple cake recipes will use applesauce, this apple cake with easy to make work. Of clotted cream the core the chopped apples dorset apple cake nigella lemon zest, then gradually stir in the beaten to... Or a selection of cakes for yourself ( or a selection of the cake, but it 's.... Cake for yourself! brown, cover with a heap of yogurt and a crunchy demerara topping... Title of the cakes from 'River Cottage Everyday ' and remove the core cakes! Donuts ( Krispy Kreme recipe Copycat ), it is absorbed sponsored by cottages.com since they want give., etc eggs, 1 at a time, adding a little American apple history ),.! It appears those are common depths flour, baking powder together then rub in the eggs, 1 at time. Accepting the use of cookies the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt rub into... Kimber creates a rustic bake with chunks of sweet frosting in its entirety pretty due to my but. The receipe for an easy-to-make treat gorgeous apple cake with easy to follow recipe I used one with removable -... Gradually stir in the afternoon or a selection of cakes for yourself ( a... But I can tell this is an easy apple cake recipe but it 's.... Cinnamon sugar and rum trying to eat, I will definitely be it... ; the flavor and texture are spot on a bowl and fold in with the brown sugar the...