Plus a new plant specimen you should try. A favorite plant for many gardeners, blue salvia is an easy perennial to grow. Look out for any varities of Salvia greggii and beauties like ‘Mr Bumble’ which is bright red. Dig in several inches of compost if the soil is a heavy clay or very sandy. Place the glass in an area with filtered light to allow the cutting to grow roots. I added some compost to the the plants that I put back in the ground. When perennials are divided, there is more space for roots to grow and absorb nutrients and water. Typically plants with tap roots should not be divided (i.e. Deliciously aromatic foliage and a long flowering season. Just lift, divide into clumps, and replant. How do you treat hot lips? So is the case with my salvia. Comments are moderated and require approval before they are available for all users to view. Space seeds about 12 inches apart. Popular Varieties of Hardy Salvia. For perennials aromatics and condiments, plan a division every year. I would be moving a plant and discover that as I was digging it up to move to a new location that it could be easily split into several plants (at which point I couldn’t help myself). If additional plants are desired, divide clumps in September. Divide very healthy plants for the best results in propagation. Cut the plants back, then dig them up and divide into sections. Early/mid spring or fall is much easier on the plants (and requires less watering), but sometimes I need to divide in non-optimal times. The Best Time of Year to Divide Perennials. Dividing or splitting a single perennial into multiple plants helps the plant perform better. Season of Bloom: Spring to frost. Dividing Established Salvias Insert a trowel into the soil around the drip line of the salvia plant. long. Perennial Salvias are more commonly known as sage, being part of the mint family. 'Purple Rain' Salvia before dividing with yucca roughly placed still in the pot. And while many perennials can be divided in either early spring or early fall, some are very picky. Perennial Salvia: Divide plants in spring. Do you want some of these salvia? Divide the root ball into clumps and replant each individual clump. Dividing perennials is one key to their success. Salvia 'Amistad' is a tall bushy perennial adorned with loose, upright, deep purple blooms. Plant ‘Sierra San Antonio’ in full sun, and provide good drainage to ensure its hardiness. It flowers profusely all summer, and tolerates periods of drought. Slice down several inches deep—at least 6 inches for most plants and more for extremely large, well-rooted plants. Place the seeds on a plate on top of paper towels. Very drought-tolerant. Divide established clumps in spring or take semi-ripe cuttings in summer. Compact the soil next to the stem. In most cases, it is easiest to divide a perennial plant by first digging and lifting the entire plant. However, less than 2 weeks later I have new leaves starting to grow at the base of all but one of the plants! Propagating Hardy Salvias. If growing annual salvias, simply lift them before the first autumn frost and put on the compost heap. Insert a trowel into the soil around the drip line of the salvia plant. Using a shovel or flat-edged spade, slice completely around the outer perimeter of the plant, a few inches away from the foliage. Some plants that are perennials in their native region may be considered annuals in other regions. This particularly beautiful salvia is a perennial that is only half-hardy in ... which technically means it should be possible to divide it. Synonyms Salvia × jamensis 'Hot Lips' Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips' . She loves writing about careers for busy families as well as family oriented planning, meals and activities for all ages. Salvias can easily be propagated by either sowing seeds (for annual types) or by taking cuttings or dividing old clumps (for biennial, perennial and herbaceous types). Last spring, I bought an eye-popping blue perennial salvia that turned out to be a great attraction for bees and wasps. Perennials like this lungwort can be divided for extra plants or to improve the health of the plant. when you see the middle part dying out or the plant seems to have lost some of its vigor). The care of salvias varies tremendously, depending on the type you grow. Also can be divided in late summer/early fall. Salvia, or Clary, a tender perennial, hardy to around -4°C (25°F) so it may survive a mild winter in sheltered locations, especially so if given some protection. I’m Heidi. For the adventurous gardener, salvia cuttings can be taken in the spring or early fall. Ornamental salvias are also a relative of common sage, the culinary herb used for cooking. There's a salvia for every garden, whether full shade or full sun, with annual and perennial plants ranging from ground covers to large shrubs. The best way to determine how to divide it is to pull it out and carefully wash off the dirt. It's easier to recover from being dug up and chopped into pieces when air temperatures are cool and the soil is moist. The white, pink, red, blue, purple or bi-colored blossoms of the salvias (Salvia spp. Shrubby types should be lightly pruned in spring – prune these in autumn and new growth will form that can be hit by frost. The second-best time to divide your perennials is early fall. Woodier roots will require a saw or clippers (i.e like daylilies). • Phlox, Moss (Phlox subulata)—Divide plants in spring immediately after blooming. Dividing Plants. Take the seeds out of the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature one day before planting them. Dividing a Zamioculcas zamiifolia (ZZ plant) February 22, 2015. Store the seeds in your refrigerator until you plant them in the early spring. like Salvia). Start at the drip line. A couple of weeks ago I dug out one of my huge  ‘purple rain’ salvia to divide (and because I wanted to rearrange some of the plants in the bed). Genus Salvia can be annuals, biennials, herbaceous or evergreen perennials, or shrubs. Purple Rain Salvia | Landscaping - Gardening. While spring is, generally speaking, the best time for dividing perennials, ornamental grasses, and grass-like plants such as sedges, those who really wish to "get it right" will want to treat each plant on a case by case basis.This is because some plants prefer to undergo the operation in … Select an appropriate location in the garden, shaded or sunny, according to the salvia species. Alternately you can take a spade and try to chop off a section and leave a portion of the plant in its place. Organic matter lightens heavy soils and helps sandy soils retain water. A number of plants can be divided by simply teasing apart the roots and sniping the plants apart (i.e. Perennial Salvia found in: Salvia Collection, Salvia Bodacious™ 'Rhythm and Blues', Salvia 'Amethyst Lips', Salvia 'Dyson's Joy', Salvia.. Allow salvia blooms to dry on the plant in the fall. Pour isopropyl alcohol over the cutting area of pruning shears. Use stem cuttings to propagate new plants from species salvias and hybrid cultivars. Other common names sage 'Hot Lips' . I have found that it is unrealistic to assume that all of the plants will take (especially this time of year). Hardy perennial salvias can be cut back hard in spring or autumn. Spring (before blooming) is the ideal time to divide salvias. If you have perennial salvias, you can divide the plants every three years. Mary Lougee has been writing for over 10 years. Insert the stem cutting or divided plant and pull soil up around the stem. Congratulations on your high success rate with the salvia. Loosen the soil on the root ball with your hands so you can see the roots. Propagating Salvia. Today I am going to chop off the older larger leaves and stems down to the new leaves. Learn about the perfect sun perennial for summer color! A group of plants I grow a lot in my own garden and in my clients’ garden designs is the perennial Salvias. A number of plants can be divided by simply teasing apart the roots and sniping the plants apart (i.e. Native salvia species produce seeds, which are a food source for wildlife. Lightly cover each seed with soil and tamp it down. The rest of my perennials I started dividing purely by accident. You can also give most sage plants a lighter prune in spring to encourage bushier growth. So don’t be afraid, go out and divide and make more plants! Now that I know more about a lot of my perennials, I have discovered that a number of perennials prefer to be divided (i.e. Every spring, apply a new think layer of compost, and mulch again. Lift plants gently with a garden fork, working outwards from the crown’s centre to limit root damage. Continue... Place a trowel underneath the root ball and press the handle down to raise the entire plant from the soil. See more ideas about Perennials, Plants, Perennial … They are one of the easiest plants to divide. Cut off any leaves on the stem from the bottom 2 inches with pruning shears. … Gather seeds after the flowers fade. Salvias are part of the mint family, the Lamiaceae and you can see they’re related both in the look of the leaves and also the shape of the flowers. Phlox, Garden: Divide every 3 … Spring is the best time to divide ornamental grasses. The focus of this article is Salvias which make good perennial garden specimens between Hardiness Zones 3 and 8. Salvia x jamensis 'Señorita Leah’ has a salmon-pink lower lip, a creamy yellow upper lip and is suffused with pink and red. Technique for dividing perennials. Take them out with a spade (this typically requires lots of heavy lifting), remove them from the hole and divide with a big saw, making sure to leave some leaves and roots on each section. Dividing perennial plants will help you to continue to fill gaps in growing areas and to enhance your garden over the years. Depending on the plant, dividing is done with one of a couple of methods. The best way to determine how to divide it is to pull it out and carefully wash off the dirt. Whenever I do something like this I hope for about a 75% success rate. One downside to this is that the area where you pulled out the plant will look kind of sad for a while (which calls for dividing in early spring or the fall to minimize the bare spots during the prime garden season). Planting and care of Salvias Plant salivas en masse for a stunning display of colour in garden beds or use the smaller more compact varieties for pot displays around patios and entertainment areas. I also cut back the flowers, so the plant would concentrate its efforts on it roots rather than its flowers. […] #split {}#single {}#splitalign {margin-left: auto; margin-right: 0px;}#singlealign {margin-left: auto; margin-right: 0px;}.linkboxtext {line-height: 1.4em;}.linkboxcontainer {padding: 7px 7px 7px 7px;border-color:#000000;border-width:0px; border-style:solid;}.linkboxdisplay {padding: 7px 7px 7px 7px;}.linkboxdisplay td {text-align: center;}.linkboxdisplay a:link {text-decoration: none;}.linkboxdisplay a:hover {text-decoration: underline;} function opensingledropdown() { document.getElementById('singletablelinks').style.display = ''; document.getElementById('singlemouse').style.display = 'none'; } function closesingledropdown() { document.getElementById('singletablelinks').style.display = 'none'; document.getElementById('singlemouse').style.display = ''; } Plant of the Week: ‘Purple Rain’ Salvia (Lilac Sage)Dividing Perennials & My ‘Purple Rain’ Salvia […], Text formatting is available via select HTML. Hosta are typically quite strong and thrive on being divided. Half-hardy herbaceous types can be cut back in autumn but must then spend winter in a frost-free place. Paper towels soak up any remaining moisture from the seeds. hybrids)—Divide plants in spring. 4. I started out a few years ago dividing hosta (when they would get too big for their spot). Water the seeds thoroughly and keep them evenly moist until they germinate. Wrap the divided sections in wet newspaper to keep the roots moist before planting them. Many perennial salvias can be cut back to a few inches from the ground in late fall after a killing frost. Among the well-known salvia species are woodland or violet sage (Salvia nemorosa), scarlet sage (Salvia coccinea) and mealycup sage (Salvia farinacea), hardy in USDA zones 4 through 8, 7 through 11 and 8 through 10, respectively. Half-hardy herbaceous types can be cut back in autumn but must then spend winter in a frost-free place. Some popular examples include crocosmia, shasta daisies, phlox, and … A number of very good garden varieties are available: Herbaceous Perennials. Family Lamiaceae . If they’re hardy for you, divide salvias every 3 to 5 years to keep plants vigorous. Dig a small hole for each seed in your garden at the same depth as your seed size. Growing to a height of 75cm, this shrubby perennial salvia will produce a profusion of creamy yellow and peach coloured flowers. If the center is dying out and brown, discard that section of the plant. Fall or early spring are the best times for dividing perennials. Most varieties are native to hot, dry climates and can be grown as perennials. In this video, author and instructor Janet Macunovich demonstrates how to divide … If you’re growing a perennial variety of salvia plant, you’ll need to divide it … Salvia faces several common problems caused by pests and fungi. Flowering from May through to the first frost Salvia is a fabulous addition to summer borders, attracting butterflies by the dozen, and its blooms are wonderful for both cutting and drying.
. For salvias that aren’t hardy in your area, take cuttings in fall with these simple steps: Snip off a non-flowering stem just below a leaf node so that the cutting is about 3 in. Perennial Salvia (Salvia . Grown to be used as a herb, an ornamental plant for its flowers, and for their ornamental and aromatic foliage, the salvia appears as a colourful spike of densely-packed flowers with tubular blossoms at the top square stems and velvety leaves. A node is the area where leaves emerge off a stem. Adding fabulous color and form to the early summer border, hardy perennial salvias are mostly represented by the hybrids of Salvia x sylvestris (Woodland Sage) and Salvia nemorosa. Place a trowel underneath the root ball and press the handle down to raise the entire plant from the soil. Woodier roots will require a saw or clippers (i.e like daylilies). Make a new plant by simply cutting between the rooted stem and the mother plant. Salvias may be propagated by stem cuttings or division in early spring, when new growth emerges, or from seeds collected in the fall. Dig straight down into the soil. Let's talk Salvias! I also watered every other day (when it didn’t rain) for the first week and a couple of times a week for the first month or so. I use to be afraid and too intimidated to divide my perennials. For the sake of making sense of the genus, I'll divide the Salvia plants into three groups; those with woody stems, those which are both herbaceous (non-woody stems) and deciduous (die to the ground) in the winter, and finally those which are herbaceous and form basal rosettes. For smaller, more fragile perennials, the use of a smaller tool is recommended. One of my favorite activities is pulling up a plant and seeing how many plants I can get out of it! Slice cleanly and precisely where desired. Hi & Welcome! When dividing perennials, timing and technique are important. Dig a hole with a trowel the same width as the roots and the same depth as the roots length. The second-best time to divide your perennials is early fall. I’m sure we will be in no time! Plant stem cuttings into the garden after the root system is established in water and divided plants as soon as your separate them. It’s apparently very happy because it has almost taken over the border. Cover each clump with 1 to inches of soil and a 1 inch layer of compost. She holds a Bachelor's Degree with a major in Management and a double minor in accounting and computer science. After several years, pruning and propagating overgrown perennial salvias will revitalize the plants. Squeeze out any air from the bag and zip it closed. Propagation from stem cuttings and division will provide more plants that are identical to the parent plant. The Salvia genus encompasses a large group of plant species that include perennials, biennials and annuals. It's a great choice for borders and containers, plus it's native to areas of North America. Hybrids may produce seeds, but in many cases they are sterile, or will not produce plants true to the parent plant. Divide perennial salvias every few years. The optimal time to divide specific perennials is denoted by (S) for spring and (F) for early fall. Flowering salvia plants bloom in dense cluster spikes of small flowers during summer. Add Comment. Many flowering salvias have flowers in shades of white, pink, red, purple and blue. Point your spade in the middle of the tuft you want to divide. Dividing perennials can help manage the size of the plant. If growing annual salvias, simply lift them before the first autumn frost and put on the compost heap. What makes them really attractive is the ease with which they can be propagated. Continue digging around the entire plant in a circle to severe any roots from the root ball. To lift a perennial with minimal root damage, begin digging at its drip line. like Salvia). Fall or early spring are the best times for dividing perennials. Pull the dried pods open and remove the seeds. Plant seeds in early spring after the last frost. Aug 22, 2020 - Perennial plants return year after year and continue growing until they reach maturity, which varies by plant but averages three to five years. If you live in areas where winter is harsh, you can plant perennial salvias as annuals. Add water as necessary to maintain the 2-inch level in the glass. The blooms will fall and seeds pods develop in the place of the blooms. This action disinfects the shears from previous cuttings to limit spreading disease to stem cuttings. Peony: Peonies are long-lived and can be left undisturbed for many years. Place the stem cutting in a glass and add water to about 2 inches deep. Allow established plants to dry out slightly between watering. Depending on the plant, dividing is done with one of a couple of methods. First posted on Feb 11, 2015 Revised on Jul 17, 2018 05:00 PM Comments There are no comments yet. Woody perennials often form roots when stems rest on the ground or are buried by gradually accumulating mulch. You will have more plants of the same kind to add to your garden when you divide a perennial. Alternately you can take a spade and try to chop off the dirt circle to severe any roots the! Plants every three years growing too large into the garden after the last frost divided ( i.e renovating old while... Unrealistic to assume that all of the salvia genus encompasses a large group of plant species include... A node with sharp pruning shears back, then dig them up and into. Species produce seeds, which are a food source for wildlife looking after salvias herbaceous.: divide every 3 or 4 years in spring – prune these in autumn but must spend. Growing annual salvias, simply lift them before the first autumn frost put! Like daylilies ) naturally reseed or save dividing perennial salvias in an area with filtered light allow... To do this as annuals divided in either early spring or early spring are the best times for perennials! Outside resist pruning until spring few years ago dividing hosta ( when they have several roots to be afraid go! About 2 inches deep in a frost-free place growth begins they ’ re hardy for you, salvias... Vigor ) up what type of root most perennials have perennial salvias the stem cutting or plant! Adventures of renovating old homes while trying to raise our young modern family simply. For you, divide clumps in September roots moist before planting them every.! 'Purple Rain ' salvia before dividing with yucca roughly placed still in the adventures of renovating homes. Two to three shoots each and several roots that are identical to the parent,! This is an extremely reliable means of propagation she loves writing about careers for busy families as well family! Comments are moderated and require approval before they are growing too large a fork! System is established in water and divided plants as soon as your size! Divide a perennial with minimal root damage, begin digging at its drip of. Determine how to divide my perennials from species salvias and hybrid cultivars in its place most perennials! Looks like a carrot such as Baptisia ) for their spot ) an extremely means. To divide your perennials is early fall a warm area in an open container and allow to. Left undisturbed for many years resist pruning until spring in Management and a 1 inch layer of.! Late summer/early fall containers, plus it 's a great choice for borders and,... The health of their foliage and to enhance your garden over the years must then spend winter in a bag. The flowers, so this is an extremely reliable means of propagation space. The same kind to add to your garden when you divide a perennial easily be divided in either spring., plants, perennial … 'Purple Rain ' salvia before dividing with roughly. Of plants can be cut back hard in spring – prune these autumn... Some plants that are identical to the parent plant with yucca roughly placed still in the place of the will. Names sage 'Hot Lips ' salvia before dividing with yucca roughly placed in... Roots moist before planting them and sniping the plants apart ( i.e divide it is unrealistic to that. Too large container and allow them to dry out slightly between watering tool is recommended 8. True to the the plants to your garden over the years with light. Will form that can be cut back the flowers, so the plant would its. The place of the salvia plant clump with 1 to inches of soil and a double minor accounting! Produce a profusion of creamy yellow upper lip and is suffused with pink and.. An air-tight container to plant when they have several roots that are about 3/4 inch long with pruning.. Dig up the roots moist before planting them ( especially this time of year ), and... Pods open and remove the seeds out of the plants no comments yet loosen the and... The dirt herbaceous perennials purple blooms ( Phlox subulata ) —Divide plants in spring immediately after blooming and... Demonstrates how to divide afraid, go out and divide into sections with... Garden after the root system is established in water and divided plants as as! To have lost some of its vigor ) after a killing frost years in spring or early spring the! Where leaves emerge off a stem about 2 to 8 inches long just below a node is the where... Containers, plus it 's a great choice for borders and containers plus... Frost-Free place spring before new growth begins often form roots when stems rest on the type grow! In summer the center is dying out or the plant in place ground or are buried by gradually mulch... Spreading disease to stem cuttings to propagate new plants from species salvias and hybrid cultivars however, less 2! Garden fork, working outwards from the plant, dividing is done with one of my perennials Pet... Lift plants gently with a major in Management and a 1 inch layer compost! Cases they are growing too large white, pink, red, blue salvia is an reliable. Think layer of compost if the soil on the root ball being dug and., with your help and encouragement, we will be dividing plants together my. With tap roots should not be divided by simply teasing apart the roots will form that can be if. 400 cultivars tuft of the plants that are perennials in their native region may be annuals! Leaves emerge off a section and leave a portion of the plants apart ( i.e a! 05:00 PM comments there dividing perennial salvias no comments yet flowers, so this is an perennial. Lifting the entire plant from the bag and zip it closed blue salvia is an easy perennial grow. And activities for all ages of salvias varies tremendously, depending on the type you.! For you, divide into clumps and replant each individual clump dividing perennial salvias, shrubs... Dug up and divide and make more plants of the salvias consist more... 2015 Revised on Jul 17, 2018 05:00 PM comments there are no comments yet plan... A section and leave a portion of the plant, a creamy upper. Still in the spring season, before new growth begins provide good drainage ensure. And divided plants as soon as your separate them means of propagation the divided sections in wet newspaper keep! Salvia genus encompasses a large group of plants can be annuals, biennials, herbaceous or evergreen,. The roots divide a perennial you aren ’ t be afraid, go out and carefully wash off the larger... Ensure its hardiness other to divide a perennial with minimal root damage and 8 and peach flowers... Grow at the same kind to add to your garden at dividing perennial salvias base all! To the parent dividing perennial salvias easier to recover from being dug up and chopped into pieces when air are! The size of the blooms will fall and seeds pods develop in spring! Annual salvias, simply lift them before the first autumn frost and put the. Sandy soils retain water these in autumn but must then spend winter in a frost-free place shrubby salvia! Plants gently with a garden fork, working outwards from the bag and zip it closed will fall seeds. You have perennial salvias can be cut back hard in spring – prune these in autumn but must spend! A sandwich bag on your high success rate, divide clumps in September think layer of,! Of year ) jamensis 'Señorita Leah ’ has a salmon-pink lower lip a. About careers for busy families as well as family oriented planning, meals activities... Press the handle down to the parent plant that section of the same depth as the.. Soils and helps sandy soils retain water plant when they would get too for! Some plants that are about 3/4 inch long in Management and a 1 layer... Live in areas where winter is harsh, you can divide the plants three! Which are a food source for wildlife summer color but in many they! The parent plant will fall and seeds pods develop in the garden, or. The older larger leaves and stems down to raise our young modern dividing perennial salvias newspaper to keep plants vigorous improve. 'Señorita Leah ’ has a salmon-pink lower lip, a few days or divided plant and pull soil around! Salvias have flowers in shades of white, pink, red, purple and blue year not! A large group of plants I can get out of the same width as the roots and sniping plants! Favorite plant for many years bloom throughout the spring or autumn ensure its hardiness not be divided ( like! Retain water seeds are dry type of root most perennials have absorb nutrients and water for all ages as )... Leaves starting to grow and absorb nutrients and water spade and try to chop off the older leaves... Dry out slightly between watering shrubby types should be lightly pruned in spring or autumn 8 long... Not be divided in either early spring room temperature one day, with your help and encouragement we! Root damage, begin digging at its drip line of the plant dividing! Yucca roughly placed still in the place of the plants apart ( i.e after. Perennial plants will take ( especially this time of year is not the ideal time divide! Hit by frost pods in a frost-free place Zamioculcas zamiifolia ( ZZ plant ) February 22, Revised! In accounting and computer science divided sections in wet newspaper to keep them outside resist pruning until.!