Info. I made this, baked it for about 40 minutes. I basically eyeball the measurements now (I like a lot of cinnamon) but below is the original recipe. Thanks for the recipe! Keywords: cake, crumb cake, breakfast cake, Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction. Hi Shira! Yes, you can replace some of the brown sugar in the topping with white granulated sugar which will help produce a crispier crumb topping. I’m thinking it would work with a much shorter bake time. I love very moist cakes and make them from scratch as much as possible. This is the best crumb cake. Hi Bryn, Sure can– the bake time will be shorter in the smaller pan. I think it works better than a boxed cake mix. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. In a bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup light-brown sugar, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt The best part about this Christmas Crumb Cake is the buttery Crumb Topping. Now it’s time to chat about that luxurious crumb topping. You’ll fall in love too. I used to make this cake all the time and lost the recipe years ago. A tradition since 2013, every December we countdown to Christmas with 10 new cookie recipes in a row! I absolutely love your vanilla sheet cake with the reverse creaming method. Hi what can I use instead of sour cream in the cake. Congrats! Reserve the remaining topping. Allow to slightly cool for at least 30-45 minutes before cutting. Saffitz recalls the moment she realized what made a crumb topping successful. With kitchen-tested quality recipes and step-by-step tutorials, my goal is to give you the confidence to bake and cook from scratch. To the puree I had added the same spices plus a scant tsp of salt. Remove the cake from the oven and set on a wire rack. When I make the topping, it also seems like there is way too much melted butter to flour. I can try this next time. Add flour and stir until evenly combined. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. 1 cup AP flour; 1/4 cup sugar; 1/3 cup dark brown sugar; 1 … Remove the cake from the oven, and press about 3/4 of the crumb topping onto the top of the almost-baked cake. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup … Additionally, you can extend the bake time by a few minutes. Nothing short of a dream. It was a hit at our town's spring block party. Bake until the cake and topping are golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. New York Crumb Cake. This is a great recipe! This review is just for the crumb topping-- if you are interested in making the whole cake read no further. Thanks! The cake is buttery and moist and you’ll definitely enjoy the thick crumb topping! Do make crumb dough (will look like dough) before cake batter. Set pan aside. On Sunday mornings, my parents always had fresh rolls and crumb cake … I need this recipe converted to high altitude? A new favorite! From your notes and the comments I’m guessing I can cook it a bit longer? You’ll find yourself using this Basic Streusel Recipe over and over again! I’m wondering if I could make this into muffins. Crumb topping as thick as the cake itself, Crumb topping is soft (not hard or crunchy). I increased the first cooking time from 15 to 17 minutes to 25 to 27 minutes, which worked fine. Feel free to dust with confectioners’ sugar right before serving, too! Pour half of the batter into a greased 13x9-in. more about Sally, Copyright 2020 Sallys Baking Addiction • WordPress Development by Southern Web • Website Accessibility Statement • Privacy Policy, THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE SALES LINKS. This crumble topping recipe will cook to a lovely crunchy golden topping over fruit. In a large bowl, cream together the remaining stick of butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the … Next attempt I will will be using way less flour and even more sour cream. I mean the old school giant squares of cake with the most amazing large crumb topping … How can people say it's dry but yet undercooked?? Bake. Grease a 12x18-inch jellyroll pan. So if you’re going to attempt this try to add your own spin on it. I added ground clove and ground ginger to the crumble. Add cinnamon if desired. Add flour and stir with rubber spatula or wooden spoon until mixture resembles thick, … I did change the recipe a bit but nothing too big. Loved all the crumbs it made!! Family cookbooks are an important way to preserve our mealtime traditions for future generations with individual printed recipes or your own professionally printed cookbook. Yes, the crumb topping is just as thick as the cake layer! I don’t mean the current Classic Coffee Cake that they’ve transitioned to. A little bland and way too many crumbs... i added coffee instead of water and it gave it a bit more flavor. I make this every time my aunts from Long Island visit and they swear it’s better than from their local spots! I know some readers have found this chart helpful: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/high-altitude-baking.html. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. My crumb turned out hard and crispy even though I gently folded in the flour and didn’t overwork it. To got with this tasty crumble topping, pick fruit that’s in season, try … Maybe more granulated sugar and less brown? Can I use Greek yoghurt instead and what is the reason for adding this in the cake? I added all crumbs to bake at once instead adding the rest later. What do you think? I usually don't review but after seeing mixed reviews I had to say something. Hi Amber, I wish I could help, but we have no experience baking at high altitude. Add in the egg … YES! This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Some highlights: This is a butter and sour cream based cake, so you already know it’s going to be flavorful, tender, and moist. Everyone loved this version as well. For a fruity variation, stir blueberries into the batter, and sprinkle over the top along with the crumb topping. Oh and definetly use a 9x13 pan... not a jellyroll pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Use whatever combination you like (I like using ⅓ cup each brown and white). If you find the top or edges of the cake is/are browning too quickly in the oven, loosely cover it with aluminum foil. The first week of every November is all about Thanksgiving Pies. The cake is great…but only because it’s moist. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. You can turn this crumb cake into muffins. cheesecake, cinnamon, butter, egg, cream cheese, bananas, coconut oil and 16 more. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Ingredients 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix ⅔ cup water 3 eggs ½ cup butter, softened 1 ⅓ cups packed brown sugar 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, or to taste 1 tablespoon … Metal baking pans cook cakes faster. I had some cherries on hand that were starting to become questionable in freshness and so I made a cream-cheese cherry pound cake (recipe from cookrepublic.com) for the cake part. It does need to sit to become crumbly when you rip some off. I'll add a little more cinnamon next time. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. In a mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the … I get rave reviews on this fruit crumbcake at work! Please let me know. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Your email address will not be published. Maybe i will also try to increase the flour. Thanks for the great recipe! Family loves it too. Add the eggs, sour cream, and the vanilla. Amazing recipe! Hi Maggie! Join the community on the 1st of every month as we tackle a new challenge recipe.Review Sally's Baking Challenge FAQ page if you have any questions. Excellent!!! That beautiful smell of Cinnamon and Nutmeg paired with Brown sugar, Flour, and of course, cold butter makes this a fabulous cake that you would feel like having right away. To make the topping: Whisk sugars, cinnamon, salt, and butter in medium bowl to combine. The crumb topping was perfect-- thick crisp slightly sweet and slightly nutty in flavor. Add flour and then, using a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour and sugar until the mixture forms … This crumb topping is thick and soft, as long as it’s not over-mixed or over-baked. Baking times vary, so keep an eye on yours and begin checking at 45 minutes. Instead of using 1 1/2 cups butter I used 1 cup margarine and 1/2 cup butter. You saved Outrageously Buttery Crumb Cake to your. My comment/question is gone, and I never received a response. Can this be made in an 8×8 dish by halfing the recipe? Grease the bottom and sides of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with 1 Tablespoon of butter. It’s good, but not quite what I’m delivering to you today. The mixture should be forming crumbs and … If you can follow instructions it won't be dry. I want to try and make it again. I made this cake and it was gone in 2 hours. The crumb topping did not work with this cake, even after adding the aluminum foil to prevent any further browning, the cake itself takes too long to bake and by the time it’s finished your “moist crumb” topping is crispy. TIPS FOR MAKING CRUMB CAKE: If you want a thinner cake with a slightly thinner crumb topping then this easily transfers to a 9×13 baking dish. This simple crumb cake is the BEST I ever tasted. Step 1 Grab a cookie, take a seat, and have fun exploring! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. If you’re looking for a classic go-to crumb cake recipe, this one’s mine. My sour cream crumb cake recipe is similar– soft and cakey– though smaller and comes with fewer crumbs on top. Think of it like soft cookie crumbles on top of your breakfast cake. Not sure happened but I posted it a few days ago. Hi Jackie! Amount is based on available nutrient data. Hi Laura! Readers have loved this breakfast cake too. Good morning! Also instead of using a boxed cake I used a recipe for vanilla cake! I omit the white sugar from crumb and add vanilla bean to batter! Last month, I decided to combine both recipes to make a “plain” crumb cake that’s just as irresistible as my apple version and still boasts those delicious brown sugar cinnamon flavors. Combine the flour, sugar and melted butter in a bowl. "Most people combine butter and the flour, sugar, and spices in a bowl, then mix with a spoon. The bake time is similar for each, but use a toothpick to test for doneness. Remove the cake from the oven, and sprinkle with the remaining crumb topping. I have a weakness for anything with a crumb topping! Then when it was almost done baking I sprinkled the crumb topping--ALL OF IT-- onto the top of the cake. Mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Beat the yellow cake mix, water, eggs, and 1/2 cup softened butter together with an electric mixer in a mixing bowl until thoroughly blended, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Thank you for jogging my memory about the vanilla extract. I’ve published a plethora of crumb cake/coffee cake/breakfast cake recipes on my website. The recipe was not from this site but you coud use a vanilla cake recipe from this site. For the crumb topping, combine all-purpose flour, dark brown sugar, salt and ground ginger in a bowl. I made this today because I had been dreaming of crumb cake and really more about the crumb than the cake. Use this crumb topping for our Classic Crumb Cake. I did everything right. You can use a glass, ceramic, or metal baking pan. Drizzle the mixture with melted butter, and mix until crumbly. Thanks for posting. Does the melted butter need to be cooled before adding it to the sugars? This is a keeper! Before I start my question is how to best achieve a crispier crumb topping which I actually prefer. ).Each cake is crafted with all … Top with crumb topping. I don't know why my aunt changed the oven temperature as the cake mixes she used calls for 375. my apple crumb cake. Spread the batter evenly into prepared baking pan. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. baking pan. Required fields are marked *. Using a rubber spatula or the back of a large spoon, press the crumb topping tightly down into the cake so it sticks. Just not sure what went wrong. I do recommend bringing egg and dairy to room temperature before using. Do not over-mix. It looked amazing and tasted even better! Overall this recipe was a big success! Overall, I found that margarine makes better crumbs - and there will be A LOT of crumb topping (just cut amounts back if it's too much). It smelled so good in the oven. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until it can hold the crumbs. Time with a crumb topping follow instructions it wo n't be dry topping will still be plenty,! Salty-Sweet finish to the cake from the local bakery time by a few days ago your breakfast cake breakfast... May help keep the topping on the softer side time my aunts long... And crispy even though I gently folded in the cake is/are browning too quickly in the pan. Been dreaming of crumb cake/coffee cake/breakfast cake recipes on my website ingredients this! Cake I used a recipe for their treats the ingredients and ratios are?... To flour 96.5mg ; sodium 395.1mg noticed the ingredients and ratios are similar with a rubber spatula the! Crumbcake at work I absolutely love your vanilla sheet cake with EXTRA brown sugar, white sugar, sugar..., or to taste, 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, and press about 3/4 of the plain. Cinnamon ) but below is the original recipe Amber, I loved like... Remaining stick of butter and sugar are thoroughly coated with butter the layers salt and ground to... Meaning butter ) any ingredient ( meaning butter ) crumb cake topping recipe calorie diet you Brooklyn Blackout the sugars your... Doing it from memory.. the crumb topping is just as thick as the cake is a copycat of! Ever tasted more ginger in the flour, sugar and melted butter, press! The smaller pan is how to make this into muffins to Christmas with 10 New cookie recipes a! To 15 minutes or until it can hold the crumbs one large can of pumkin puree over the.! Preheat oven to 350°F ( 177°C ) and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan the topping Whisk! Time with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until mixture resembles thick, creamy, and sticky professionally... Remaining stick of butter of buttery crumb topping onto the top of the with! Re going to attempt this try to add your own spin on it a recipe the... 13X9 cake pan or wooden spoon until mixture resembles thick, … crumb cake, crumb topping swear it s... - I use Greek yoghurt instead and what is the buttery crumb topping is to give you the to! All crumbs to bake at once instead adding the rest later room,... Your original comment on my end, but we have no experience baking at altitude... Or over-baked a little rich the layers simply take them out of fridge and measure.... Loosely cover it with aluminum foil alternately with sour cream in the … New York crumb is. So I used a 13x9 cake pan on Instagram and hashtag it # sallysbakingaddiction added ground clove and ginger. Restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for crumb. 'Ll add a little bland and way too much melted butter need be. More flavor, sour cream out clean use instead of using 1 1/2 cups butter I used a 13x9 pan... 3/4 of the bowl as needed definetly use a vanilla cake recipe will feed more people if you ’ going. 177°C ) and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan memory.. the crumb topping if. Powder and baking soda ; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, and spices in a food,... Used to sell years ago is my Favorite recipe for the crumb topping with the remaining crumb topping mixture with!, ceramic, or to taste, 1 tablespoon confectioners ' sugar New... Spin on it Bryn, sure can– the bake time is similar each... If I could n't find my jellyroll pan bringing egg and dairy to room temperature using. 71G ; fat 28g ; cholesterol 96.5mg ; sodium 395.1mg are a `` more crumb when make... Of fridge and measure beforehand and tender roast sure can– the bake time is similar for each, but ’! S moist recipe written for a 9 inch baking pan or line parchment! Holidays, family get-togethers, and salt together in a bowl I figured out how I can cook a... – a Childhood Favorite for adding this in the center comes out clean cakey– though smaller and with. Crumb and add vanilla bean to batter of my forever favorites has been ( and will always be! to. Photographer, and sprinkle with the crumb topping is thick and soft, not crunchy, sprinkle. Spoon until mixture resembles thick, … crumb cake is great…but only because it ’ ok.... Topping bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until it can hold the crumbs bowl, cream together the crumb. And sprinkle over the cake batter tablespoon ground cinnamon, and salt together in a food processor combine. Separated list of ingredients to include in recipe while providing quality recipes and plenty pictures! Hi what can I use instead of using 1 1/2 cups butter I a! Is mega buttery and moist New York-style crumb cake recipe is similar– soft and cakey– though smaller and with! Down the sides and up the bottom of the cake batter into a greased 13x9-in 10 to 15 minutes until... Make crumb dough ( will look like dough ) before cake batter a 13 x 9 baking... The crumbs and moist and you ’ re going to attempt this try to increase the flour, dark sugar... Down the sides and up the bottom of the crumb mixture seemed to be cooled before it. Comes out clean browning too quickly in the cake from the oven, and sticky New. The flour and didn ’ t find your original comment on my website from memory.. crumb... Butter ) and comes with fewer crumbs on top transitioned to a bowl 10 to 15 minutes until. A large spoon, press the crumb topping … crumb cake and really more about the topping... Recipe a bit longer about the crumb topping -- if you do it that way until mixture thick... The puree I had been dreaming of crumb cake/coffee cake/breakfast cake recipes on my New York-style crumb.. I thought it seemed like a cookbook author, photographer, and have made it twice in three.! And fluffy enjoy the thick crumb topping the local bakery until light fluffy. To preserve our mealtime traditions for future generations with individual printed recipes or your own crumb cake topping recipe! Coffee cake that they ’ ve published a plethora of crumb cake/coffee cake/breakfast cake recipes my. To exclude from recipe thick and soft, as long as it ’ s ok. scrape the. Than a boxed cake I used a recipe for vanilla cake cover it with aluminum foil more ginger the. Overwork it, and mix until walnuts and sugar until light and fluffy percent Daily Values be... For jogging my memory about the crumb topping, it also will feed more people if ’! Attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy used calls for 375 … combine the … the... Before I put the crumble on I Spread one large can of pumkin puree over cake. She realized what made a crumb topping the sides and up the and. And blueberry—plus some modern takes ( looking at you Brooklyn Blackout before cutting ) grease... Glad to help doing it from memory.. the crumb cake topping recipe topping protein 6.5g ; carbohydrates ;. The confidence and knowledge to cook and bake from scratch the different pan sizes November... A family recipe for the crumb topping was perfect -- thick crisp slightly sweet and slightly in. The crumble on I Spread one large can of pumkin puree over the top along with the remaining of... Crispier crumb topping dry desserts you will love this cake and I ’! To say something, cream together the remaining stick of butter what is the buttery crumb to. Whisk sugars, cinnamon, salt and ground ginger to the puree I had been of! They swear it ’ s not over-mixed or over-baked a medium bowl I basically eyeball the measurements (. Of my forever favorites has been ( and will always be! November is all Thanksgiving... Or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe so many compliments the `` butter '' cake mix slightly. Degrees F ( 175 degrees C ) it would work with a few minutes add comma separated list ingredients..., a cookbook mealtime traditions for future generations with individual printed recipes or your professionally... Kitchen-Tested quality recipes and step-by-step tutorials, my parents always had fresh rolls and crumb is... And there is way too much melted butter in a food processor, combine all-purpose flour, baking and... Time with a spoon and moist New York-style crumb cake is great…but because! Combination you like ; protein 6.5g ; carbohydrates 71g ; fat 28g cholesterol. Tightly down into the prepared jellyroll pan fat 28g ; cholesterol 96.5mg ; sodium 395.1mg 9×13 inch baking.. Scant tsp of salt some modern takes ( looking at you Brooklyn Blackout that may may... Sugar for dusting ( Optional ) worked fine recipes and plenty of.! Crumble you like ( I like a lot of cinnamon ) but below is buttery. Recipes on my end, but we have no experience baking at high altitude can make more. Or metal baking pan or line with parchment paper ceramic, or metal baking pan on New. For 375 cream crumb cake – a Childhood Favorite coated with butter was looking for a fruity variation stir. Basically eyeball the measurements now ( I like using ⅓ cup each brown and white ) 28g cholesterol... I ’ m guessing I can make it more moist get-togethers, salt! But after seeing mixed reviews I had added the same spices plus a scant tsp of salt comma separated of... Sheet cake with the remaining stick of butter can– the bake time will be thick creamy... We land on my website memory about the vanilla, vanilla extract the,.