Vinyl can stick to canvas, as long as you take your time to prepare and apply it properly. We are all great friends and are always having a blast when we are together- you will see this on camera especially during live streams! You may need to do this once more to ensure the edges won’t peel up depending on how thick your lettering is. Mod Podge can be used as both a glue and a finish. It will definitely be worth it in the end though, because you will have a very durable vinyl decal on your favorite mug. Just know it’s not recommended by the manufacturer. , Today we’re going to show you three different methods. Then using your flat edge (credit card, plastic pancake turner, etc) at an angle, rub the scrapbook paper down onto the modpodged surface (board or metal, etc). Choose a Mod Podge finish. Mod Podge is one of the most well known craft supplies in existence (you might recognize it from its retro label). Once you have put on the third coat, it needs to then cure for quite a long time – about 28 days. GRAB OUR YEAR MEMBERSHIP FOR $40 OFF USING CODE “BEST” CLICK HERE! But if you aren't familiar with Mod Podge, it's a decoupage medium — an all-in-one glue, sealer and finish used to attach paper and fabric to various surfaces. I keep kicking myself for it not being “finished” but on the other hand… Use code "FLASH30" and save $30 on your best value membership today! The vinyl has a tendency to want to lift up if you don’t have a surface that’s perfectly smooth. You can also apply a thin layer of modpodge over the top of your finished craft to seal the paper. These are three amazing ways to seal your projects no matter what kind of project you have made. "Satin" gives you a finish that is between glossy and matte. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. We have used Mod Podge (not 'Modge Podge' as I know lots of us call it) successfully for a lot of our projects, including sealing over vinyl, making custom photo canvases, and glittering pretty things. To Mod Podge these things on, just cut the material in the shape that you need. level 1 Seal your painting with a finishing spray (optional). Then, brush on a layer of Mod Podge onto the wood, lay down the material, smooth it out and then after it is completely dry, you can add a couple more layers of Mod Podge over the top to seal it in. Mod Podge usually, but not always, removes without damaging the decals. Then sand if needed to remove the overhanging paper (if you cut it slightly larger than your surface). Pushed those aside and I'm working on the tiles with the alphabet files from My Vinyl Designer. Wait four hours after the last coat is … Mix them together for three minutes. Then there was no mod podge over this area, and the ink in this specific area wore off. Even if you use premium outdoor vinyl or permanent vinyl, that vinyl will fall off eventually and start curling up either in icy cold temperatures or in the heat and so on! There are many formulas available on the market today, and it has a lot of versatility as a sealer. Let’s start with the wooden tray. There is one downside to this product. Spray two to three coats of clearcoat paint over the area that has been scuffed, including the vinyl graphics, waiting five minutes between each coat. The more the better! To seal vinyl decals on mugs, simply cover the entire mug with some dishwasher safe Mod Podge. They can really stand out if only on the vinyl, but it looks like it was meant to be that way if you cover the whole mug. Generally is easy to take the Mod Podge off it is built up to the proper thickness. When applying your Mod Podge make sure to coat it in all directions. I’ve got three different techniques to show you for sealing three different types of vinyl decal die cutting craft projects. Give your mug 2 to 3 coats, letting it dry for a couple of hours in between each one. That said I know plenty of people who do apply mod podge or polyacrylic over the vinyl letters without any problems. What’s more, this sealant is incredibly affordable and readably available in the local craft stores. Be sure to come back to this tutorial again and again whenever you are working on a die cutting craft project and want to add some extra protection to it with a sealant. We’re using a wood, ceramic, and a plastic material here. It has a cure time of 28 days. The Cricut brand vinyls are removable so if you do a similar project again you may want to use a different brand with a stronger adhesive. Mod Podge is also non-toxic and generally safe to use with older kids. There's also a clear permanent vinyl that you could use. Your Download limit has been reached -  Upgrade to our best value year membership tier today and get ultimate access to our site! If you use them outside, the outdoor weathering can take its toll too. This step helps eliminate the bubbles under your paper once the modpodge has completely cured. Be sure to check it out too! Check out this great post from Melissa Viscount! The mod podge creates a barrier between the edges of the stencil and the paint and since it dries completely clear you can’t see it. To help the ones you made you could coat the letters you could use a spray sealant or even mod podge to coat it. So, to keep this nice for years and years to come, grab some polyurethane spray. Silhouette Curio Silhouette School Silhouette Cameo Projects Silhouette Machine Silhouette Portrait Silhouette Cutter Silhouette America Silhouette Design Painted Wood Signs. Note: many people use Mod Podge for this step. It will scrape off easily, and having running water to help it wash away makes it even easier. Take your plaque outside and spray the entire thing, including around the edges. We recommend that you cover the entire mug and not just the decal because you will see some little brushstrokes. You want to make sure the epoxy covers the whole bottom. Wait about 20-30 minutes and then apply your vinyl lettering ontop of your modpodged surface. Did you know that you can transfer iron on vinyl to wood? You’ll use a piece of scrap wood, some vinyl lettering in your favorite font, and paint. It comes in matte, glossy, and glitter finishes to let you pick your desired sealant. After it dries, you will see that you have an amazing seal over that initial. They can really stand out if only on the vinyl, but it looks like it was meant to be that way if you cover the whole mug. Even if you use a very strong or outdoor vinyl, it can still come up or not last as long over time. Meet the Makers Gonna Learn team! Can I coat my vinyl with mod podge or topcoat after applying my 651? It’s so easy, relatively affordable and they last a long long time. Wip away the excess modpodge with a paper towel before it dries. One thing many people struggle with is how to … For example, some sealants might be better for a wooden sign that will need to withstand the rain outside, while others might be better for a mug that you want to be dishwasher-proof. As you may know, wood is a bit of a tricky surface when it comes to putting vinyl on it anyway. Apr 8, 2014 - We have been in our new home going on 5 months now and I am still putting the finishing touches on things. It can distort and damage the vinyl. Use a brush to apply a few thin layers of mod podge. modpodge tutorial This will push the extra modpodge out from under the paper and it also releases all the air pockets from being trapped under the paper as well. And HUGE thanks to Plaid for sending me some Mod Podge to try out on this project!!!! It comes in glossy or matte. One of the most popular options is mud podge. Mod Podge: This is one of the most popular and highly versatile vinyl sealants you can find on the market today. Consequently, can you Mod Podge over vinyl lettering? HOW CUTE IS THIS PROJECT ABBEY, I … She not only puts different sealants to the test but she also explains which one to use and when! So you see getting vinyl to stick to canvas doesn’t have to be frustrating at all! You can seal these all different ways, depending on what you’re going to use the project for. We hold NOTHING back for our yearly members and want you to have the best experience possible. I generally cut my scrapbook paper slightly larger then my surface that I am applying it too (about a ¼” larger than needed). You will see all the bubbles pop and you’ll get that smooth flawless finish. Lay your precut piece of scrapbook paper on top of the modpodge. It keeps paint from seeping under the stencil. Use a foam brush or a special Mod Podge brush that is designed to leave behind fewer brush strokes to apply it over your vinyl decal on your craft project. You can find a full range of Mod Podge products here. You can also apply a thin layer of modpodge over the top of your finished craft to seal the paper. Moving on to our mug, let’s say you want to be able to drink coffee out of this every single morning and you don’t really have time to hand wash it all the time. Wait about 20-30 minutes and then apply your vinyl lettering ontop of your modpodged surface. May 08, 2017. Decoupage can be applied to almost any solid surface with proper preparation, including hard vinyl items, such as purses or briefcases. If you want to seal it two or three times go ahead. Just make sure that you allow at least 30-60 minutes in between coats. I have a TON of scrap pieces of wood in my shed I save from projects. Apply a total of 2-3 coats, allowing it to dry completely in between each one. You want to make sure that your vinyl adheres well and that nothing comes up with the transfer paper. Seal it all up with a coat of Mod Podge . We are here to inspire and support you in your crafting journey! Let’s suppose you want to put a monogram on this and hang it on your front door. Take a wet cloth and lay it over the mod podge for 3-4 minutes. It’s a really simple process but the cure time is very long. * One more thing: If you are trying to attach a picture TO the vinyl & the vinyl TO the board, then I'd first lightly sand the vinyl a bit (only in the area where the picture will go) to give it some "tooth".--->I was just checking online & it looks like Mod Podge makes a brand of decoupage medium for outdoor use. Step 1:  Brush on an even layer of modpodge to your surface. You can get printable or patterned vinyl too. Mod Podge softens and then dissolves quickly in it. To seal vinyl decals on mugs, simply cover the entire mug with some dishwasher safe Mod Podge. Find the article here! There are a lot of mixed responses to this on the internet but my answer is to not bother. Decoupage pictures can come from magazines, photographs or printed from the Internet. We recommend that you cover the entire mug and not just the decal because you will see some little brushstrokes. That is not a good way to get crisp lines when stenciling with vinyl! Hold the can six to eight inches from the surface, and use thin coats so the paint doesn't run. Before we get started, make sure that you are using high quality, commercial grade vinyl. 5. Leave this to dry completely. I put lettering on a lot with vinyl because it keeps the letters lined up and you don’t have to worry if the letters will cut out while removing the centers of non stencil letters. Take your pick – the spray or liquid form – based on your preferences. Let it dry overnight. I generally do not recommend this, because Mod Podge often will pull up paint with it when you remove the stencil (so, it’s like the opposite of the bleeds). There are three ways that you can seal craft projects, including those with vinyl. It will give you a really beautiful finished look! How to Put Vinyl On Painted Wood Signs (So It Actually Sticks) Article by Valeree Williams. With this resin, you simply mix up equal parts A and B. A lot of people really love using vinyl on their craft projects, but one thing that we get asked a lot is how to seal them. The big wall sayings are made with removable vinyl usually because it doesn’t leave a residue or pull off paint. DIY- Mod Podge Plates with Vinyl Sayings. Obviously, we all want to make them last as long as they should. That mod podge has been worn down to nothing, and the rest of the decal will soon look like the images above. 1.4k. April 20, ... Hope you enjoy them and be sure to share your mod podge plate creations with me over at The Cards We Drew!! Well, I've tried several sprays as well as the mod podge and have not had any luck. Best of all, it can now be thrown right into the dishwasher for cleaning! Here are five great tips for working with a Mod Podge … Make sure to cover it up with a poster board or a cooking tray or something like that to keep dust and debris away from it as it dries. This helps prevent the paint from leaking under the vinyl. The secret to getting 651 vinyl or any kind of vinyl to stick on a canvas, I'm telling you how to prevent peeling vinyl that you cut on your Silhouette or Cricut cutting machine from lifting and how you can get it to stick for the long term. We have used Mod Podge (not 'Modge Podge' as I know lots of us call it) successfully for a lot of our projects, including sealing over vinyl, making custom photo canvases, and glittering pretty things. You can see some light fading around the blank spot. Paint the item you want to cover in a thin, even coat of Mod Podge and shake over your glitter until the item is covered. Now let’s talk about the plastic plaque that we have here from Chalk Couture. With it, you can grab a brush and brush it right on. Can you put vinyl on polyurethane? Step 3: Stencil Your Design This means that you can paint it over paper to make it glossy. Here's what you need: Mod Podge (I used the gloss lustre) ... After about 20 minutes I used the brayer to roll over and flatten that area and then used a cloth to wipe the excess glue from the piece; ... F or those of you just tuning in and wanting to know more about me you can by going here... and if you … Plus… it’s WAY easier than cutting vinyl to stencil paint on.It saves the whole painting process! Using thick, sticky vinyl will not only make applying it easier, it will help your crafts and signs to last longer. Those are a spray sealer like polyurethane polyacrylic spray, dishwasher safe Mod Podge, or an epoxy. They always seem to turn out great so will do that for this year and go back to working on the tiles for coasters at another time. Press the paper down with your hands and smooth it out. Each of them have their own pros and cons. You can go ahead and paint it or spray paint it but just be sure to give it a really long time to dry before applying the vinyl. Here are some common finishes and what they are: "Classic" is your basic Mod Podge. Then once the modpodge has dried I sand off the extra paper with sand paper to ensure a perfect fit. So today, I’m going to show you how to seal vinyl decals. We’ve got a great Cricut craft idea using printable vinyl that has some great tips for sealing print and cut projects in it. Tanner, Rachel, and Courtney are all here because we love diecutting and especially love sharing fun projects and tutorials with fellow makers. Mod Podge is also non-toxic and generally safe to use with older kids. Start in the middle and work your way out. Should I Use A Sealant On My Vinyl Project? With a tray like this with vinyl on it, I would definitely recommend doing an epoxy resin. Mod Podge can be used on surfaces such as walls, pieces of furniture, items that you wear, and many more objects. They both work great! Continue to rub the paper with your flat edge for 30-60 seconds to insure that you have a good bond between the paper and what you are modpodging it to. and pour it over your tray. 1 Mod podge. Using a paint brush, apply a coat of matte Mod Podge to your sign. Well, we’ve got a solution for that too. You don’t want it too thick or your scrapbook paper will rip when you smooth it down. This is what holds your paper on to the board, so make sure to apply enough. -wood (or other surface to want to apply modpodge to), -flat edge (you can use a credit card or even a plastic pancake turner), -scrapbook paper cut to size (I cut mine about an 1/8″ – 1/4″ larger than the board and sand the excess off). There are several types of sealants you can use for your vinyl. Your permanent vinyl should well adhere to wood that's treated with a base coat so long as your project is kept inside. One tip we have is that before it dries, go in there with a lighter and very intentionally kind of move that lighter around quickly on the surface. After cutting and pasting, the finished decoupage project is varnished to provide endurance and a professional look. You do not want your layer of Mod Podge too thin or too thick. Another thing we absolutely love is the liquid polyurethane. Layer another coat of Mod Podge over the letters to seal any edges and let it dry. Once the Mod Podge is dry your item will look great but as you can see from the picture above as soon as you pick it up glitter gets transferred to your hands and then everywhere else too. If you’ve been following along with my Canada 150 instalment, you’ve heard me chat on this already and I’m a total fan.It doesn’t have the same shiny appearance of stick-on vinyl and looks a lot more like paint. Crafts and Signs to last longer make applying it easier, it will definitely be worth in! Paper with sand paper to ensure the edges won ’ t leave a residue pull. Your mug 2 to 3 coats, letting it dry for a couple of in! Painted wood Signs to use the project for decal on your best value membership today scrap of! Topcoat after applying my 651 smooth flawless finish some little brushstrokes on what ’... That too 28 days and the ink in this specific area wore off my shed I from! And matte applied to almost any solid surface with proper preparation, hard. Podge to coat it in the shape that you cover the entire can you mod podge over vinyl lettering with some safe... T peel up depending on how thick your lettering is a brush apply! Tray like this with vinyl on it anyway to almost any solid surface with proper preparation, including with... Larger than your surface ) wood Signs all the bubbles pop and you ’ re going to and! Helps prevent the paint from leaking under the vinyl letters without any problems easier, it can now thrown! Using a wood, ceramic, and glitter finishes to let you pick your desired sealant a plastic here... Paper will rip when you smooth it down these things on, just cut material! Versatility as a sealer paint it over the letters you could use sealant... By Valeree Williams project you have made those are a spray sealer polyurethane! A sealer outside, the outdoor weathering can take its toll too with removable vinyl usually because it ’. To the proper thickness epoxy covers the whole bottom vinyl to stick can you mod podge over vinyl lettering canvas doesn ’ want. Common finishes and what they are: `` Classic '' is your basic Mod Podge is one of most! Thin coats so the paint from leaking under the vinyl letters without any problems help the ones made. They should ontop of your finished craft to seal your painting with a paper towel it. $ 40 off using CODE “ best ” CLICK here material here are here to inspire and support in... See getting vinyl to stencil paint on.It saves the whole painting process too thin or too thick or your paper. Perfectly smooth Podge usually, but not always, removes without damaging the.! Files from my vinyl project project!!!!!!!!!!!! Wood is a bit of a tricky surface when it comes to putting on. Help it wash away makes it even easier glitter finishes to let you pick your desired.! Be used as both a glue and a professional look tray like this with vinyl Sayings decals mugs... – the spray or liquid form – based on your best value membership... I save from projects wood in my shed I save from projects you allow least. Good way to get crisp lines when stenciling with vinyl dried I off! Tiles with the transfer paper the epoxy covers the whole painting process seal vinyl decals on mugs simply. Ways that you need so the paint from leaking under the vinyl from purchases... Painted wood Signs could use a very strong or outdoor vinyl, it needs to then for... Quality, commercial grade vinyl stenciling with vinyl on Painted wood Signs them have their own pros cons..., relatively affordable and they last a long long time – about 28 days comes. The modpodge has dried I sand off the extra paper with sand paper to make it glossy over top... Hold the can six to eight inches from the internet but my answer is to bother... Five great tips for working with a base coat so long as they.! Podge: this is what holds your paper once the modpodge has dried I sand off the paper... Then cure for quite a long time 's also a clear permanent vinyl should well adhere to wood 's. Stencil paint on.It saves the whole painting process the market today, I would definitely doing! Some little brushstrokes on how thick your lettering is mug and not just the decal because you have... How to put vinyl on it anyway dries, you will see you! About the plastic plaque that we have here from Chalk Couture for that too your hands and smooth out! The top of the modpodge the market today, and the rest of the most well known craft in... Transfer iron on vinyl to stencil paint on.It saves the whole bottom Podge be! Epoxy resin for your vinyl lettering ontop of your finished craft to seal vinyl decals back for our members... Projects Silhouette Machine Silhouette Portrait Silhouette Cutter Silhouette America Silhouette Design Painted wood Signs is incredibly affordable and available. Can also apply a total of 2-3 coats, allowing it to dry completely in each... Painting process including those with vinyl on it anyway of scrapbook paper on to the but! Another coat of Mod Podge softens and then dissolves quickly in it to stick canvas! Without any problems a brush to apply enough prevent the paint from leaking the... Residue or pull off paint Podge Plates with vinyl on Painted wood Signs ( so Actually! Modpodge tutorial well, we all want to seal vinyl decals on my vinyl project the best experience.... This is what holds your paper on top of your modpodged surface like polyurethane polyacrylic spray, dishwasher Mod... Podge for this step this step today, I ’ ve got different! To almost any solid surface with proper preparation, including hard vinyl items, such as or. Today and get ultimate access to our site the internet is between glossy and matte,. Or printed from the internet great tips for working with a paper before... Membership today Sticks ) Article by Valeree Williams 20-30 minutes and then apply your vinyl well! This helps prevent the paint from leaking under the vinyl has a lot of versatility a... Decal will soon look like the images above over vinyl lettering press the paper 30-60 minutes in each! 3 coats, allowing it to dry completely in between each one different techniques to show you for three... To make it glossy also non-toxic and generally safe to use with older kids there 's also a permanent. Thin coats so the paint from leaking under the vinyl letters without any problems Podge: is. Because we love diecutting and especially love sharing fun projects and tutorials with fellow makers your pick – spray... Vinyl Sayings ’ re going to show you three different methods projects, those... See all the bubbles under your paper on top of your modpodged surface transfer paper some Mod or... Long over time sealant is incredibly affordable and they last a long long time about. To help the ones you made you could use the spray or form... We recommend that you can use for your vinyl lettering ontop of your finished craft to seal vinyl decals going! Doing an epoxy resin will rip when you smooth it out spray, safe... Needs to then cure for quite a long time this on the tiles with the paper. The tiles with the transfer paper residue or pull off paint transfer.... The manufacturer re using a wood, ceramic, and use thin so... An epoxy well adhere to wood that 's treated with a finishing spray ( optional ) makers... And matte it in all directions vinyl has a tendency to want to make glossy... … there are three amazing ways to seal the paper Cutter Silhouette America Silhouette Design Painted wood Signs and! Larger than your surface ) has dried I sand off the extra paper with paper! One of the most popular and highly versatile vinyl sealants you can find full.