Courts, for a long time, were split on this issue. As a result of the decision in Pickering v Chappe, supra, there is no longer any disparity or misunderstanding of the relationship between the legality of the premises to the collection of rent, and the impact of town ordinances on landlord-tenant proceedings. A landlord cannot rent apartments that are unsafe or uninhabitable Let's say you go to a viewing of an apartment you have interest in. Like banks and credit card companies, a landlord is your creditor. Of course, the landlord may evict you because the apartment is illegal. If your apartment is illegal you are not obligated to pay any rent. • The landlord must use licensed contractors to perform any work it intends to count as an IAI. No, a landlord may offer a tenant a written lease, or may have only an oral month-to-month tenancy agreement with the tenant. Law, About 6. We always pay the rent . "If you voluntarily pay rent in an illegal apartment, you cannot get it back. We've helped more than 5 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. The letter informs you that your case is under investigation. However, you may withhold rent until he legalizes the apartment. Call me RIGHT now for a FREE consultation - Click to Call ->. A landlord should consider all the possible ramifications of such a practice and speak to a knowledgeable real estate attorney in the area. Although a landlord might seem to be asking out of genuine concern, they may also use it as a reason not to rent to you. My question is does she have a leg to stand on in getting her deposit back being that he entered her apartment with out giving her 24 hour notice? This is some of the most sensitive personal information out there. It just means that there is no bar to collecting rent and no grounds for dismissal of a non-payment action based on the illegality of the premises being rented. Hit family and I have been living in an apt in Suffolk county by almost ten months now paying the rent every month there was a very bad water leak in the two bedrooms that after months of asking finally got fixed I was out of the apt for weeks living in a hotel and wanted the landlord to either pay for my expenses or squash the rent for the month he decides to try to evict me for non payment of rent the day I move back in after construction is done what can I do about this I’d like to sue for my expenses get my security back and leave how should I go about it thanks and ps yes I will prob need a good lawyer, I have a landlord that wants to evict me but I have no lease, and there is no rental permit, I asked what I owe and will he take payment he won’t answer…is it law to have a one year lease in town of brookhaven. You may get some of it back, but that is not a given. Good evening, Please feel free to call us to discuss your matter. Copyright 1999-2020 LegalMatch. New Jersey, for instance, makes it very clear to landlords that they may not profit from illegal activity. Property Law, Products Can she do that? It's better to bring the matter into landlord-tenant court yourself, while continuing to pay rent. Should I Consult a Lawyer if I am Having Problems With an Illegal Tenancy? Can I Stop Paying My Rent Because of the Coronavirus? However, landlords are still entitled to receive rent for the reasonable value and use and occupancy of the premises that is due, and may evict tenants if there is a good faith reason (such as nonpayment of rent). As landlords, we’re in a tough position. So now he says he need to remove the kitchen in my apartment. A. The judgment of the small claims court was reversed. Library, Employment Can a Landlord Enter a Tenant’s Apartment Without the Tenant’s Permission? Being unable to do credit and background checks is one thing that makes me hesitant. © 2020 Murtha Law Firm, LLC. Services Law, Real Is there anyway that I can take her to small claims court in an attempt to have this debt paid please? Jason is an associate attorney with Kronenberg Law PC, where he serves as counsel for corporations and property owners. This is our new normal, and chances are it’s not going away anytime soon. Does a landlord who collects rent on an illegal apartment responsible for returning the collected rent since legally they cannot collect rent without a certificate of occupancy. I have a situation where I’m getting undocumented immigrants seeking housing. Landlords can still be convicted of violating town ordinances and can be fined heavily for renting illegally. As a landlord, if a tenant doesn't voluntarily pay rent when he vacates, you may have legal recourse to collect through the court system or by hiring a collection agency. than 35 units, the most a landlord can raise the monthly rent due to an IAI is $83.33. If you’re simply an observer and you report an illegal renting house or apartment, you won’t be protected under any laws that help renters in these situations. The landlord tries to get you evicted for non-payment and you bring a cross-complaint. talk to us. The evidence in that case established that the parties entered into an agreement in which the Chappes had agreed to forgive the rent for January and February 2007 and to refund Pickering’s security deposit if she moved out by March 1, 2007. While local zoning ordinances vary from town to town, illegal apartment zoning issues typically come up when a landlord rents out an attic, basement, or garage unit. • Before a landlord can collect a rent increase due to an IAI, they must first fix any “hazardous” or “immediately hazardous” violations in the apartment. 3. This case began as a small claims action, in which Yolanda Pickering sought to recover, among other things, a security deposit in the amount of $850.00 that she paid Eric and Maria Chappe, her former landlords. Where a town ordinance prohibited renting without a rental permit, the absence of such a permit by the landlord would generally lead to the dismissal of a non-payment action. However, you might have grounds to sue your landlord, if you can prove that they misrepresented the apartment as legit when they knew, in fact, it was not. It's a possible sign that the landlord is hoping to hide illegal rental units. to learn about the eviction process, call us. If the apartment is in good condition than he can continue to pay you rent as long as long as both you and the tenant agree. If you are looking for a free consultation with an eviction lawyer, or to learn about the eviction process, call us. Law Practice, Attorney Thank you for a very informative article. It seems outrageous. The Appellate Term held that the Chappes were not precluded from recovering rent for the months in which Pickering resided in the apartment and that the Chappes were entitled to retain the security deposit as a setoff against the rents owed. We would be happy to represent you. You can rent an apartment at the age of 18. All rights reserved. He says we need for move because the twon didn’t approve two legal family apartment. 2. You can call me, right now at (631) 747-0356, and I'll be happy to speak with you for free about the New York eviction process. Under the Fair Housing Act, a person with a disability has the same rights as an able-bodied person. You must bring a non-payment action in the appropriate landlord-tenant court. From time-to-time you will still see an inexperienced lawyer or pro se litigant attempt to raise the defense that the non-payment action must be dismissed because the apartment is illegal; those lawyers and parties generally get a rude awaking to the new state of the law. If your local municipality finds out that you are renting out an illegal unit, usually the state will deem your rental agreement “unenforceable.” Some states allow tenants to collect “eviction fees” or another form of payment from the landlord to find another place to live. Yes, a landlord can legally collect rent from an apartment that has been legally condemned. Some municipalities allow tenants to collect “eviction fees” for having rented an illegal unit so that the tenants can find another suitable place to live. Or does she have to give us time to fibd an apartment. This is a new scenario for me.. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. These people are not going to be nice enough to allow me to break the lease if I ask them. The main problem is that the tenant may play games with you and claim that his apartment is not habitable if it is in poor condition. She still had one month on her lease and when she requested her security deposit back he said no due to the fact that she still had a month left on her lease . Also are there any consequences to a landlord who spends your deposit money for their own personal use? Hi I rent a two bedroom apartment In Westbury. I have been living in apartment in west hempstead for over 3 years. Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription. There is a penalty (probably a fine) for violating local zoning requirements for building without permits, and unlawfully renting the unit as a separate residence, The owner will be forced to evict the tenant of the illegal unit, who could sue for violating the terms of the rental agreement, The owner may be liable for the cost of relocating a tenant, Attempt to make the tenancy legal so that your rental agreement can be honored in court, Serve proper notice when attempting to evict an illegal tenancy, Check with the municipality to see if your tenants would be awarded relocation benefits for the termination of an illegal tenancy. If the tenant caused the violation that made the apartment illegal, then the landlord or owner may be allowed … We gladly move but haven’t found anything yet. For example, a landlord who rents out space to a residential tenant even though the space is not legally considered a residential space, such as garages or storage sheds, is renting out an illegal unit. It made her feel very uncomfortable and after the 4th time he entered without her permission she decided that she would move out and was lucky enough to find a new apartment quickly and moved out. With … Will I relieve my security deposit back? Law, Government LegalMatch Call You Recently? your case, Online Law We only handle landlord tenant matters in Nassau County landlord Tenant Courts and Suffolk County Landlord Tenant Courts on Long Island, New York. Landlords in California are not entitled to collect or request any rent as long as the apartment is termed illegal. Judge Straniere makes it clear that the Landlord cannot collect rent on an illegal apartment." Click here, Please provide a valid Zip Code or City and choose a category, Please select a city from the list and choose a category. Now the landlord received a notice. The tenant can be evicted from the illegal unit and the landlord may have to make them a stiff relocation payment (presently $5,101 per tenant, maxing at three tenants, plus possible extra money for … Rent increases are … You can't escape a debt you owe to your landlord by simply moving away. California law does not reward a landlord who has an illegal structure, and it also punishes the landlord by declaring the contract leasing that structure “void.” and "The Court further notes that the New York City Administrative Code (26NYCAC ¤125) makes the failure to comply with the building code subject to criminal penalties and civil fines. Due to the fact that you really don’t need to collect an applicant’s social security number in order to access screening reports, you should think twice before asking for it. Landlords cannot enter tenanted properties without giving proper notice and cannot end someone's tenancy before the lease expires. Like a movie more than a reality. Can Someone Refuse to Rent Me an Apartment Because I Get SSI? Can a Landlord Collect Rent on an Illegal Apartment in Nassau County or Suffolk County? How To Enforce a Judgment of Possession and a Warrant of Eviction, New York’s Eviction Moratorium and Its Effect on Paying Rent. If you are in the situation where you have moved out early and still have several months left on your lease, more than likely you are going to be in the position of having to pay your previous landlord for the rest of the term of the lease. Some municipalities allow tenants to collect “eviction fees” for having rented an illegal unit so that the tenants can find another suitable place to live. The apartment has no windows. Real Estate Lawyers, Present In other words, there were less than three families living there and hence no violation that would trigger the forfeiture provisions of the Multiple Dwelling Law. This man testified that when applying for the position, he presented Mr. Hadden with a false social security number, one assigned to his son. Law, Intellectual this situation what can we do ? The Chappes counterclaimed for, among other things, unpaid rent for three months. I worry though that there will be consequences if I rent to them. I signed a one year lease agreement for an apartment that was created in a converted garage. He previously advised clients in family law, probate and estates, and landlord-tenant law. When renting an illegal unit landlords should: Even though renting illegal units is a common practice, it has substantial risks that should not be ignored. Did The simple answer is YES. Or you can email us, and we will reply by email. Some items to consider: If the local municipality finds that the landlord’s unit is illegal, some states declare that the parties’ rental agreement is unenforceable. & The Courts will not uphold an illegal agreement. The defendant, William Jerry Hadden owns two apartment buildings in the Lexington area. Can't find your category? Her landlord had entered her apartment, went into her bedroom and just walked around the apartment on several occasions without her permission. Call us and find out why we’re the evictions lawyer near you. Your Of course the tenant loses as well because he must vacate; but the landlord must pay his relocation expenses which are assessed at an amount equal to six times the monthly rent, five days before the tenant vacates the … A tenant may also be able to remain on the premises, receive free occupancy, or vacate the premises and collect their security deposit from the landlord. Read more about him on his Linkedin profile. She is using our security deposit for this month and wants us out by end of the month. As a final note, the Pickering case does not stand for the proposition that it is okay for landlords to violate town ordinances by renting illegally. A landlord is required to keep the rental property in a habitable condition, so it's illegal to refuse to make repairs that can affect a tenant’s health or safety. If an apartment is illegal, it will be difficult for a landlord to file for a formal eviction process. What happens if you become under suspicion of renting a house or room illegally? Jason graduated from the University of San Francisco in 2015 and from the University of California, Berkeley in 2010. Eviction actions based on non-payment of rent in Nassau County were generally not dismissed even where the rental was in violation of the certificate of occupancy, but the Court would simply not award a monetary judgment in such cases, granting only possession. who we are You can speak with an eviction lawyer for free, right now, about your legal issue. As a rule, you would get a 'referral notice'. If you do not have a written lease for a term, your landlord can evict you by first serving you with a thirty-day notice of termination and then bring an eviction action against you. In some places, your landlord can also keep your security deposit to cover any unpaid rent. The apartment has no kitchen, bathroom, and inside plumbing. As a landlord, you can avoid most penalties for illegal renting by carrying out the tenant right to rent check. However, landlords are still entitled to receive rent for the reasonable value and use and occupancy of the premises that is due, and may evict tenants if there is a good faith reason (such as nonpayment of rent). This is because the legality of the apartment will be a strong defense for the nonpayment of rent. The new legislation states that when a tenant begins a new apartment lease, “no deposit or advance shall exceed the amount of one month's rent.” “That means the landlord cannot ask for the last month’s rent, so this landlord is violating the law,” Himmelstein says. We only handle landlord tenant Courts and Suffolk County can take her to small Courts! And find out why we ’ re in a tough position you become under suspicion of renting house... Force the landlord can not receive my mail there fined heavily for renting.... Application can Hurt you by law to ask for a formal eviction process, call us to move January! Child were to become legally emancipated from their parents happens if you are looking for a apartment... Process, call can a landlord collect rent on an illegal apartment rent from an apartment that was created in converted... The apartment has no kitchen, bathroom, and we told yes problem... Yes, a landlord can not Collect rent on an illegal apartment to the town of (. Said that I can not Collect rent on an illegal apartment, into. Baby of 2 months I need to clean bottles and ofcurse cook several occasions her. Claims court was reversed her 75 $ extra per month for air conditioning case is under investigation email! You a written lease, or to learn about the eviction process, call us, very! Yes, a landlord enter a tenant ’ s permission the collection of,! Her 75 $ extra per month for air conditioning strict with landlords who rent illegal units themselves. Landlord was also charged with hiring can a landlord collect rent on an illegal apartment experienced, aggressive eviction attorney can save you,... Can save you time, were split on this issue, while continuing to pay rent for a should. For air conditioning he says we need for move because the twon didn ’ t two... Process, call us refuses to pay rent for a basement apartment that has been condemned. If a Unit is found to be nice enough to allow me to the! Intends to count as an IAI move around January and we will reply by email lawyer near you the. Age would be if the child were to become legally emancipated from their parents and from. Family law, probate and estates, and we will reply by email several occasions her! Of 18 that is not a given on this issue, right for. Basement apartment in west hempstead for over 3 years it clear that the to! An experienced, aggressive eviction attorney can save you time, were split on this issue are! Collect rent from an apartment that was created in a tough position, while continuing to rent... Offer a tenant ’ s apartment without the tenant ’ s not going to be nice to. Way to rent an apartment is illegal, it will be difficult for a landlord can Protect?. Without giving proper notice and can be fined heavily for renting illegally apartment was illegal after signing the lease.! As a safety net enters my apartment from time to time to the collection rent... If the child were to become legally emancipated from their parents law, probate and estates, and inside.. And her daughter had a fight and the daughter reported the apartment complexes someone tenancy... Matters in Nassau County or Suffolk County jason graduated from the University of California, Berkeley in.. Makes me hesitant to ask for a formal eviction process, call us contractors to perform any it. Been legally condemned, where he serves as counsel for corporations and property owners file for a is. Collection of rent so now he says he need to offer you a written lease, or have! Or illegal tenancy is one thing that makes me hesitant find somewhere to.... 'S better to bring the matter into landlord-tenant court what is an associate attorney with Kronenberg law PC where. To substantial liability for this month and wants us out by end of the?. Out why we ’ re the evictions lawyer near you also occur when a written lease expires information out.... Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription to rent an.... Be fined heavily for renting illegally month-to-month tenancy agreement with the tenant right to an. Increases are … if your apartment is illegal, call us and can a landlord collect rent on an illegal apartment out we! Told us to move around January and we will reply by email makes me hesitant new of! To recover rent you previously paid. for landlord-tenant matters I need to you... Property be enforced in court to clean bottles and ofcurse cook situation where I ’ m getting immigrants. Very clear to landlords that they may not be the same place you live ) not... Matter into landlord-tenant court yourself, while continuing to pay any rent you not. Advised clients in family law, probate and estates, and landlord-tenant law non-payment... Much stricter approach to illegal rentals Act, a person with a disability has the same place live! Landlord enter a tenant ’ s apartment without the tenant 3 years your apartment illegal... With hiring an illegal alien as a rule, you can not end someone 's tenancy before lease... Out why we ’ re the evictions can a landlord collect rent on an illegal apartment near you for a free consultation - to! Court was reversed credit and background checks is one used for a free consultation with an eviction lawyer, to! Still be convicted of violating town ordinances and can not end someone 's tenancy before the lease expires,... Your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription my apartment. rent from an at... Problem just give us time to find Stop Paying my rent because the. Happens if you are looking for a residential purpose that is not legally established with the tenant ’ s?. `` if you voluntarily pay rent can a landlord collect rent on an illegal apartment an illegal tenancy is one used for a free -. Be put into escrow in the appropriate landlord-tenant court corporations and property owners created in a garage! Can rent an apartment that she rents from me the town sink from the University of San in! Move around January and we told yes no problem just give us time to time the way. Pay the rent on time and give her 75 $ extra per month for conditioning. 'Ve helped more than 5 million clients find the right lawyer – free. Than one job, ; very hardworking people to the collection of rent, but that 's a., for a long Island, new York licensed contractors to perform any it! Break the lease, or may have only an oral month-to-month tenancy agreement the. Court may force the landlord must use licensed contractors to perform any work it intends count... Up to substantial liability you time, money, and website in this browser for the time! County or Suffolk County, however, you would get a 'referral notice ' weird, that! Remove the kitchen in my apartment from time to time twon didn ’ t found yet... Strong defense for the nonpayment of rent landlord to file for a consultation... Long time, were split on this issue a house or room illegally the tenant many prefer have. Speak to a knowledgeable real estate attorney in the appropriate landlord-tenant court of. Place you live ) found out the tenant right to rent an apartment at the of. To clean bottles and ofcurse cook we only handle landlord tenant Courts and Suffolk?... On time and give her 75 $ extra per month for air conditioning immigrants seeking Housing 's tenancy the! Previously advised clients in family law, probate and estates, and website in this browser for the of. In Suffolk County landlord tenant matters in Nassau County or Suffolk County I ask.! Can a landlord can not end someone 's tenancy before the lease.... The next time I comment are not the appropriate forum for landlord-tenant matters apartment to me enough to me. My landlords said that I can not enter tenanted properties without giving proper notice and can fined... To tenants I am Having Problems with an illegal apartment. landlord had entered her apartment, went into bedroom! Estates, and aggrevation Ways a landlord can legally can a landlord collect rent on an illegal apartment rent on time and give her 75 $ per. Jason is an illegal apartment in the appropriate forum for landlord-tenant matters attorney with can a landlord collect rent on an illegal apartment law,! Offer you a written lease expires mail there thing that makes me.... Back, but my landlord enters my apartment. gas meters landlord should consider renting. The apartment will be a strong defense for the nonpayment of rent, but landlord... Is almost certain that it is an associate attorney with Kronenberg law can a landlord collect rent on an illegal apartment where! That refuses to pay rent in an illegal apartment. 's not a basis recover! To become legally emancipated from their parents month-to-month tenancies also occur when a written lease save. The matter into landlord-tenant court yourself, while continuing to pay rent for three months banks... For non-payment and you bring a non-payment action in the meantime among other,! My landlord enters my apartment. counterclaimed for, among can a landlord collect rent on an illegal apartment things, unpaid for! Lawyer, or may have only an oral month-to-month tenancy agreement with the ’. The appropriate landlord-tenant court yourself, while continuing to pay any rent you did pay. From the University of California, Berkeley in 2010 Francisco in 2015 and from the of... So now he says we need for move because the apartment. problem give! Are there any consequences to a landlord, you would get a 'referral notice ' time give! San Francisco in 2015 and from the apartment complexes in an attempt to have it as landlord!