I recently read Max Brooks’ page-turning unread romp, “World War Z.” The book is a mediation of what a global zombie plague, and our subsequent reaction to it, would look like. Campanula rapunculoides: seed pods Warning: this plant is invasive in Toronto. Creeping bellflower eradication without toxic chemicals is always worth a try, and a sturdy shovel is your best weapon. Native Alternatives: Campanula americana (Tall Bellflower), Campanula rotundifolia (Harebell) As this first photo shows, European Bellflower has attractive blue-violet, 5 petaled bell shaped flowers that alternate up the 3 - 4 foot flower stalk. 20 persificolia turn into none. C. rapunculoides is seen invading fields, stream banks, woodlands, woodland edges, prairies, roadsides, urban areas, and oak savannas. Roots can travel under fences, through lawns and even under side-walks and concrete. This perennial plant will even grow up over a fence. By Katie Stannard. On that note, your comments in the original write-ups continue to propagate the erroneous notion that Adenophora species are invasive. It is weedy and aggressive, creating monoculture stands through high seed production and multiple rhizomes. That’s definitely the case with creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides). Links for more information: With few exceptions, if a plant has taken over that person’s garden, it will take over yours too because it is evil—or invasive—whatever you want to call it. The lovely Harebell (Campanula rotundifolia) has almost the same flowers as creeping bellflower (C. Rapunculoides), but has round leaves. Tracheophyta › Magnoliopsida › Campanulaceae › Campanula › Campanula rapunculoides. Moss, Flora of Alberta – Occasional Global Invasive Species Database – No NatureServe Rank – High/Low Haber, Upland – No Haber, Wetland – No CWF, Status & Invasive Range – No Alberta Revegetation Guidelines – No The Nature Conservancy – No CBCN – Potential I discovered creeping bellflower was even more invasive than I first realized. Now that the extent of its aggressive nature has been discovered, it's classed as an … It can survive periods of drought and tolerates a range of light condi-tions. Unfortunately, the fact that the trade has typically been selling the noxious weed, Campanula rapunculoides, in the guise of a variety of Adenophora species, has given the genus, Adenophora, an undeserved bad name. The creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) produces clear blue, trumpet shaped flowers along a tall, stately stem. Creeping Bellflower, Garden Harebell Campanula rapunculoides L. . I believe you are referring to Campanula rapunculoides (creeping bellflower), which is an invasive perennial that grows in most soils, in sun or shade, doesn’t care if conditions are wet or dry, reseeds and spreads via root fragments and rhizomes. We wanted to share a changing of the guard: Emily Lilla (invasives guru, founder of this series and all-around terrific natural areas technician) is off to grad school with our best wishes and gratitude for her work at Matthaei-Nichols. Campanula rapunculoides is native to most of Europe, Caucasus, Iran, Central Asia and Siberia. Campanula rapunculoides is a PERENNIAL growing to 1.2 m (4ft) by 1 m (3ft 3in) at a fast rate. Neutral: On Jul 14, 2004, joeleahy from Crofton, MD wrote: I found Creeping Bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) growing wild in a meadow near Cortland NY … creeping bellflower. PLEASE NOTE: A coloured Province or State means this species occurs somewhere in that Province/State. Ecology . It has rhizomes which help … Campanula rapunculoides, commonly known as creeping bellflower, rover bellflower or European bellflower, is a deeply-taprooted, rhizomatous perennial that is native to a variety of habitats in Europe and western Asia including open woodlands, forest margins and meadows. It’s also everywhere that it can possibly … I live in zone 5. Its creeping root system and resis- Campanula. Last updated October 2018    /    Privacy, This map is incomplete and is based only on current site and county level The stems are smooth to slightly hairy and contain a milky liquid. The stem is simple, erect and lightly pubescent and the leaves are usually shortly hairy. To learn more, visit http://www.mountaingardensherbs.com A monocultural garden isn’t my thing. Its deep, underground rhizome necessitates extensive digging to eradicate. Montana Natural Heritage Program. It is by Mary Ellen (Mel) Harte. I'm afraid that's Campanula rapunculoides, pretty in bloom but an invasive thug in the garden. Creeping Bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) may look pretty, but this invasive species has wide-spreading roots that make it difficult to get rid of. A rhizomatous perennial herb of roadside verges, grassy banks, railway banks and occasionally woodland and field-borders. I live in zone 5. The basal leaves are triangular, narrow, with a heart-shaped or rounded base, jagged edges and are up to 12 cms long. garden escapee The entire Province/State is coloured, regardless of where in that Province/State it occurs. Questions and/or comments to the Bugwood Webmaster To most people “invasive plants” are equated to “non-native” but in the garden many invasive plants hail from our own fields and forests. I know it's not rotundifolia, but I suspect it's something very invasive. Montana Field Guide. Known as Campanula rapunculoides in botanical parlance, ... It’s easy to see how this invasive week can quickly get out of control. Campanula rapunculoides (creeping bellflower) Index. 2 harebell or Campanula rotundifolia 3 peach-leaved bellflower or Campanula persicifolia C. Peirce. Because it has a nice stalk of bluebell flowers many people assume it is a garden-worthy perennial. Once established, creeping bellflower is very difficult to remove as even the smallest tiny root fragments can grow entirely new plants. The basal leaves are triangular, narrow, with a heart-shaped or rounded base, jagged edges and are up to 12 centimetres (4.7 in) long. Campanula rapunculoides reaches on average 30–80 centimetres (12–31 in) of height, with a maximum of 120 centimetres (47 in). Help. Czarapata, Elizabeth; Invasive Plants of the Upper Midwest: an illustrated guide to their identification and control. It is frequently grown in gardens where it can become invasive and is often discarded. Campanula rapunculoides. Rob from Pennsylvania - robsplants.com | Quote | Post #865746 (2) Name: Clint Brown Medina, TN (Zone 7b) clintbrown May 29, 2015 9:02 PM CST. Don't confuse it with the other campanulas - there is a native campanula - Campanula Rotundiflora - which has the same purple flower, but a tiny plant, feathery leaves, and only a few flowers per plant. I am growing some in my front yard (while battling the neighbor's rapunculoides non-stop). garden escapee It also spreads by seed. The basal leaves are triangular, narrow, with a heart-shaped or rounded base, jagged edges and are up to 12 centimetres (4.7 in) long. I call creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) the evil twin because it looks just like ladybells, (Adenophora confusa), only it is aggressively spreading and ineradicable, and ladybells is well-behaved.So they say. The roots are taproots – long and slim – and can extend quite deeply into the soil. Oceanview, Falmouth, ME ≈ 8 × 12" (20 × 31 cm) ID is uncertain . It is very similar in appearance to several native Campanula species such as Harebell, Campanula rotundifolia. Once it started formng bells I realized it was a campanula, which really made me suspicious becaise camps don't persist in my yard. For more information, visit www.eddmaps.org, State List - This map identifies those states that list this species on their invasive species list or law. 10. 101; Tenaglia, Dan. Any piece of root will start a new plant. It was long ago introduced into North America where it subsequently escaped gardens and naturalized over time in Alaska, … For more information, visit Invasive.org, Other Common Names: rampion bellflower, creeping bellflower, rapion bellflower, rover bellflower, Last updated October 2018 / Privacy Campanula rapunculoides reaches on average 30–80 cms of height, with a maximum of 120 cms. How to Get Rid of Creeping Bellflower. The Latin name is Campanula rapunculoides. It is frequently grown in gardens where it can become invasive and is often discarded. Help. According to the Minnesota Wild flowers website Campanula rapunculoides is a popular European import to North America. Taxonomic Tree. It is hardy to zone (UK) 3. Campanula rapunculoides Overview: This perennial introduced from Europe as an ornamental, reproduces both by seed and creeping rhizomes. Known as Campanula rapunculoides in botanical parlance, and unlike its more tame Campanula garden cousin, ... including secluded shady spots, and produce between 3,000 and 15,000 seeds every year. Alaska Exotic Plant Information Clearinghouse, City of Ann Arbor Michigan Parks and Recreation, The University of Georgia - Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health, National Association of Exotic Pest Plant Councils. 2005. Links for more information: This pretty plant with nodding, bell-shaped flowers is insidiously taking over Calgary gardens, warns horticulturist John Duncan, who shares some tips on how to fight its spread. Other keeper perennials were set aside to thoroughly wash their root systems before replanting at the end of the project. A transplant from Europe and Siberia, it was apparently popular as a garden plant (like many weeds in the United States) and, as weeds will do, it rapidly spread from gardens to yards, to forests and fields. Czarapata, Elizabeth; Invasive Plants of the Upper Midwest: an illustrated guide to their identification and control. Campanula rapunculoides Overview: This perennial introduced from Europe as an ornamental, reproduces both by seed and creeping rhizomes. It also spreads very easily as each stem produces up to 15,000 seeds. It is weedy and aggressive, creating monoculture stands through high seed production and multiple rhizomes. Invasive of the Week: Creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) May 28, 2020. Pg. Have a look beneath: 5 members of the campanula family. It is in flower from July to September, and the seeds ripen from August to October. To most people “invasive plants” are equated to “non-native” but in the garden many invasive plants hail from our own fields and forests. reports made by experts and records obtained from USDA Plants Database. Campanula. Weed Control of Creeping Bell Flowers. This map identifies those states that list this species on their invasive species list or law. EDDMapS Distribution - This map is incomplete and is based only on current site and county level reports made by experts, herbaria, and literature. 1 Venus Looking Glass or Specularia speculum. It is weedy and aggressive, creating monoculture stands through high seed production and multiple rhizomes. 10 glomerata turn into two. Kingdom: Plantae. Website developed by The University of Georgia - Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health and the National Park Servicein cooperation with the Invasive Plant Atlas of New England, Invasive Plant Control, Inc., USDA Forest Service,USDA NRCS PLANTS Database, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, National Association of Exotic Pest Plant Councils,Plant Conservation Alliance, and Biota of North America Program. Campanula rapunculoides. Host Plant. It’s easy to see how this invasive week can quickly get out of control. It has attractive flower spikes, and is extremely tough and hardy. Unfortunately, it is also extremely invasive, rapidly spreading throughout the garden and lawn, and worse, also escaping into the wild in many areas. photo by SVSeekins. The entire Province/State is coloured, regardless of where in that Province/State it occurs. Creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) has been labeled invasive but it seems to me aggressive is a better term. Campanula rapunculoides (creeping bellflower) Toolbox. I have grown countless camps and they don't makeit. Campanula rapunculoides , known in English as "creeping bellflower" (or as I call it, "creepy bellflower"), and in French as campanule fausse raiponce , is a perennial native to … Pg. This perennial plant will even grow up … The Missouri Flora - Campanula rapunculoides [exit DNR]. Maybe after it's been in my garden longer it will become invasive, and I will have to get rid of it, but so far, so good! It can survive periods of drought and tolerates a range of light condi-tions. Creeping Bellflower: The Zombie Weed by Rob Sproule. It also spreads by seed. All Images Enlarge Image. Other keeper perennials were set aside to thoroughly wash their root systems before replanting at the end of the project. Moss, Flora of Alberta – Occasional Global Invasive Species Database – No NatureServe Rank – High/Low Haber, Upland – No Haber, Wetland – No CWF, Status & Invasive Range – No Alberta Revegetation Guidelines – No The Nature Conservancy – No CBCN – Potential Range map for Creeping Bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides). Campanula rapunculoides (also known in Calgary as Creeping Bellflower, Rover Bellflower, Garden Bluebell, Creeping Bluebell, Purple Bell, Garden Harebell, Creeping Campanula and even the evil twin) is listed under invasive plants to avoid in Calgary, Alberta by the City of Calgary Parks Department. In fact, it may employ trickery to try to get you to take it home and plant it. Preferred Scientific Name. Upon seeing its spontaneous blooms in your perennial bed for the first time your reaction will probably be, “I didn’t plant that but it’s pretty enough to leave alone.” Campanula rapunculoides is a PERENNIAL growing to 1.2 m (4ft) by 1 m (3ft 3in) at a fast rate. Joe Hollis of Mountain Gardens discusses growing and using rover bellflower. I discovered creeping bellflower was even more invasive than I first realized. The stem is simple, erect and lightly pubescent and the leaves are usually shortly hairy. Domain: Eukaryota. Creeping bellflower, also known as rampion bellflower, like a lot of edible wild plants that I like to eat, is a weed. The Latin name is Campanula rapunculoides. Each plant can produce 15,000 seeds and it also reproduces through its long tuberou… The species is hermaphrodite (has both male and female organs) and is pollinated by Bees, flies, beetles, Lepidoptera (Moths & Butterflies). Campanula rapunculoides L. var. Click on a scientific name below to expand it in the PLANTS Classification Report. A transplant from Europe and Siberia, it was apparently popular as a garden plant (like many weeds in the United States) and, as weeds will do, it rapidly spread from gardens to yards, to forests and fields. ucranica (Besser) K. Koch: Classification. Information from Dichotomous Key of Flora Novae Angliae. It is native to Europe and temperate Asia. Creeping bellflower, also known as rampion bellflower, like a lot of edible wild plants that I like to eat, is a weed. It is hardy to zone (UK) 3. It has rhizomes which help it to spread. The stems are smooth to slightly hairy and contain a milky liquid. On that note, your comments in the original write-ups continue to propagate the erroneous notion that Adenophora species are invasive. Its deep, underground rhizome necessitates extensive digging to eradicate. A monocultural garden isn’t my thing. rover bellflower. Brendon Panke, UW Extension Weed Science Revised: 01/31/2011. Home » Campanulaceae » Campanula: Campanula rapunculoides L. Common Name: ROVING BELLFLOWER, CREEPING BELLFLOWER: Coefficient of Conservatism: * Coefficient of Wetness: 5 Wetness Index: UPL Physiognomy: Ad P-Forb. Creeping Bellflower, Garden Harebell Campanula rapunculoides L. . Appearance. That’s definitely the case with creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides). University of Wisconsin Press. It is in flower from July to September, and the seeds ripen from August to October. One soggy autumn weekend, I dug out the entire bed. Information from Dichotomous Key of Flora Novae Angliae. Questions and/or comments to the Bugwood Webmaster, Alaska Exotic Plant Information Clearinghouse, City of Ann Arbor Michigan Parks and Recreation, WeedUS - Database of Plants Invading Natural Areas in the United States, Wisconsin's Invasive species rule – NR 40, Weed Science Society of America Common Names List, Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health, USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture. It is very similar in appearance to several native Campanula species such as Harebell, Campanula rotundifolia. The creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) can quickly take over your lawn. This plant can be weedy or invasive according to the authoritative sources noted below.This plant may be known by one or more common names in different places, and some are listed above. It doesn’t care. Neutral: On Jul 14, 2004, joeleahy from Crofton, MD wrote: I found Creeping Bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) growing wild in a meadow near Cortland NY … Campanula rapunculoides reaches on average 30–80 cms of height, with a maximum of 120 cms. Herb: Creeping Bellflower Latin name: Campanula rapunculoides Family: Campanulaceae (Bellflower Family) Medicinal use of Creeping Bellflower: The plant has been used as a cure for hydrophobia in Russia. Image 5089012 is of creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides ) foliage. So what is this? Because it has a nice stalk of bluebell flowers many people assume it is a garden-worthy perennial. Creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) has been labeled invasive but it seems to me aggressive is a better term. Even if you don’t know the name, you’ve probably noticed this horrible-to-the-core plant because it’s tall and showy with pretty purple bell-shaped flowers. The Missouri Flora - Campanula rapunculoides [exit DNR]. Montana Plant Life – Rampion Harebell [exit DNR] (Campanula rapunculoides). Any piece of root will start a new plant. Campanula rapunculoides is an herbaceous perennial that is 1-3 in (cm) tall. Its creeping root system and resis- Creeping Bellflower — Campanula rapunculoides. C. rapunculoides is seen invading fields, stream banks, woodlands, woodland edges, prairies, roadsides, urban areas, and oak savannas. Legend for Species Pages. Tracheophyta › Magnoliopsida › Campanulaceae › Campanula › Campanula rapunculoides. Campanula rapunculoides is native to most of Europe, Caucasus, Iran, Central Asia and Siberia. 10. 101; Tenaglia, Dan. Unfortunately, it is also extremely invasive, rapidly spreading throughout the garden and lawn, and worse, also escaping into the wild in many areas. One soggy autumn weekend, I dug out the entire bed. Brought over to North America from its native Siberia and Europe, it was initially a popular plant. To learn more, visit http://www.mountaingardensherbs.com The basal leaves are triangular, narrow, with a heart-shaped or rounded base, jagged edges and are up to 12 cms long. Unfortunately, the fact that the trade has typically been selling the noxious weed, Campanula rapunculoides, in the guise of a variety of Adenophora species, has given the genus, Adenophora, an undeserved bad name. I call creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) the evil twin because it looks just like ladybells, (Adenophora confusa), only it is aggressively spreading and ineradicable, and ladybells is well-behaved.So they say. The stem is simple, erect and lightly pubescent and the leaves are usually shortly hairy. photo by SVSeekins. The species is hermaphrodite (has both male and female organs) and is pollinated by Bees, flies, beetles, Lepidoptera (Moths & Butterflies). Roots can travel under fences, through lawns and even under side-walks and concrete. Campanula rapunculoides is an herbaceous perennial that is 1-3 in (cm) tall. C. rapunculoides is seen invading fields, stream banks, woodlands, woodland edges, prairies, roadsides, urban areas, and oak savannas. Joe Hollis of Mountain Gardens discusses growing and using rover bellflower. The stem is simple, erect and lightly pubescent and the leaves are usually shortly hairy. Legend for Species Pages. The National Biodiversity Data Centre mapping system (Biodiversity Maps) integrates the mapping of terrestrial as well as marine data and is intended to serve as a portal for the geographic presentation of observational data on Ireland's biological data. Weed Control of Creeping Bell Flowers. 2005. Native Alternatives: Campanula americana (Tall Bellflower), Campanula rotundifolia (Harebell) As this first photo shows, European Bellflower has attractive blue-violet, 5 petaled bell shaped flowers that alternate up the 3 - 4 foot flower stalk. Maybe after it's been in my garden longer it will become invasive, and I will have to get rid of it, but so far, so good! Campanula rapunculoides reaches on average 30–80 centimetres (12–31 in) of height, with a maximum of 120 centimetres (47 in). University of Wisconsin Press. Range map for Creeping Bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides). Image 5089012 is of creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides ) foliage. Invasive Species. Montana Plant Life – Rampion Harebell [exit DNR] (Campanula rapunculoides). PLEASE NOTE: A coloured Province or State means this species occurs somewhere in that Province/State. It is by Mary Ellen (Mel) Harte. Campanula rapunculoides had to go. Learn to identify creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides), a herbaceous creeping perennial that produces bluish purple bell shaped flower from late spring to fall. Campanula rapunculoides had to go. Oceanview, Falmouth, ME ≈ 8 × 12" (20 × 31 cm) ID is uncertain . The creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) can quickly take over your lawn. Ecology . rapion bellflower. It has attractive flower spikes, and is extremely tough and hardy. Creeping bellflower is also resistant to some herbicides. I wish I had something that nice that's invasive. creeping bellflower. For more information, visit. Description of the plant: It's found in Northern Minnesota along Lake Superior. Datasheet. Preferred Common Name. Life – Rampion Harebell [ exit DNR ] are usually shortly hairy plant is invasive Toronto... Lawns and even under side-walks and concrete: 01/31/2011 you to take it home and plant it European. Lovely Harebell ( Campanula rapunculoides ) August to October side-walks and concrete me 8... Exit DNR ] basal leaves are usually shortly hairy range map for creeping bellflower ( Campanula rapunculoides on. Quite deeply into the soil: seed pods Warning: this perennial introduced from Europe as an ornamental, both... Overview: this plant is invasive in Toronto 4ft ) by 1 m ( 4ft ) by 1 m 4ft. Rapunculoides reaches on average 30–80 cms of height, with a maximum of 120.... Propagate the erroneous notion that Adenophora species are invasive members of the Week: creeping (! Is invasive in Toronto root system and resis- Tracheophyta › Magnoliopsida › Campanulaceae › Campanula › Campanula rapunculoides can... Original write-ups continue to propagate the erroneous notion that Adenophora species are invasive roots are taproots – long slim... ≈ 8 × 12 '' ( 20 × 31 cm ) tall are triangular, narrow, with heart-shaped. Harebell, Campanula rotundifolia banks and occasionally woodland and field-borders that is 1-3 in cm! State means this species occurs somewhere in that Province/State 3in ) at a fast rate s! 1 m ( 3ft 3in ) at a fast rate taproots – long slim! 12 '' ( 20 × 31 cm ) tall fact, it May employ trickery to to. It also spreads very easily as each stem produces up to 12 cms long triangular. Science Revised: 01/31/2011 Minnesota Wild flowers website Campanula rapunculoides ) pods Warning this! Invasive of the project ) 3 any piece of root will start a new plant: Zombie! Very similar in appearance to several native Campanula species such as Harebell, Campanula rotundifolia ) has been labeled but! S definitely the case with creeping bellflower ( Campanula rapunculoides reaches on average 30–80 cms of height, a... Brendon Panke, UW Extension Weed Science Revised: 01/31/2011 America from its native Siberia and Europe Caucasus! In ) 's not rotundifolia, but i suspect it 's not rotundifolia, i! The Zombie Weed by Rob Sproule as an ornamental, reproduces both seed. The stem is simple, erect and lightly pubescent and the seeds ripen August! Milky liquid slim – and can extend quite deeply into the soil over to North America from native. It ’ s definitely the case with creeping bellflower ( Campanula rapunculoides ) grown gardens! Iran, Central Asia and Siberia most of Europe, Caucasus, Iran, Central Asia and.... In Northern Minnesota along Lake Superior in Northern Minnesota along Lake Superior is 1-3 in cm... Overview: this perennial plant will even grow up … Tracheophyta › Magnoliopsida › Campanulaceae › Campanula rapunculoides foliage! Of where in that Province/State it occurs more invasive than i first realized was even more than... Rhizome necessitates extensive digging to eradicate May employ trickery to try to get you to it... Me aggressive is a better term Revised: 01/31/2011 species list or law creeping bellflower ( Campanula rapunculoides exit. By seed and creeping rhizomes Science Revised: 01/31/2011 resis- Campanula rapunculoides exit. Lovely Harebell ( Campanula rapunculoides Overview: this plant is invasive in Toronto rapunculoides: seed pods Warning: plant..., your comments in the PLANTS Classification Report Minnesota Wild flowers website Campanula )! Through lawns and even under side-walks and concrete according to the Minnesota flowers. Harebell, Campanula rotundifolia been labeled invasive but it seems to me aggressive is better! Edges and are up to 12 cms long from July to September and. Learn more, visit http: //www.mountaingardensherbs.com image 5089012 is of creeping Bell.... Railway banks and occasionally woodland and field-borders slim – and can extend quite deeply into the soil from. S easy to see how this invasive Week can quickly take over your lawn to propagate the notion! The creeping bellflower was even more invasive than i first realized that note, your comments in the original continue... Is hardy to zone ( UK ) 3 also spreads very easily as each stem produces to... By Mary Ellen ( Mel ) Harte its deep, underground rhizome necessitates extensive digging to eradicate is..., and a sturdy shovel is your best weapon this map identifies those states that list this species somewhere... Trickery to try to get you to take it home and plant it stems are smooth to hairy! Species list or law Mountain gardens discusses growing and using rover bellflower both. Always worth a try, and the seeds ripen from August to...., 2020 also spreads very easily as each stem produces up to 12 cms long i... //Www.Mountaingardensherbs.Com image 5089012 is of creeping Bell flowers my front yard ( while battling neighbor... Was initially a popular plant identifies those states that list this species occurs somewhere that. The leaves are triangular, narrow, with a maximum of 120 (! Creeping rhizomes UW Extension Weed Science Revised: 01/31/2011 8 × 12 (. Is weedy and aggressive, creating monoculture stands through high seed production and multiple rhizomes get out of Control also! On average 30–80 cms of height, with a maximum of 120 centimetres ( 12–31 ). To thoroughly wash their root systems before replanting at the end of the Campanula family Campanula! 5089012 is of creeping Bell flowers are usually shortly hairy native Siberia and Europe, May... Native to most of Europe, Caucasus, Iran, Central Asia Siberia!: 5 members of the Campanula family species are invasive the roots are taproots long... Perennials were set aside to thoroughly wash their root systems before replanting at the end of the Campanula.. People assume it is frequently grown in gardens where it can possibly … Weed of... It ’ s definitely the case with creeping bellflower ( Campanula rapunculoides rotundifolia, but i suspect it 's in! And slim – and can extend quite deeply into the soil most of Europe, Caucasus, Iran, Asia! A fence rapunculoides reaches on average 30–80 cms of height, with heart-shaped. Taproots – long and slim – and can extend quite deeply into soil... Was even more invasive than i first realized brought over to North America soggy. Siberia and Europe, it May employ trickery to try to get you to take it home plant! Write-Ups continue to propagate the erroneous notion that Adenophora species are invasive invasive but it to... Is hardy to zone ( UK ) 3 front yard ( while battling the neighbor 's rapunculoides non-stop ) learn... A rhizomatous perennial herb of roadside verges, grassy banks, railway banks and woodland! And they do n't makeit ) Harte under side-walks and concrete systems before replanting at the end the! Campanula rapunculoides is native to most of Europe, it May employ trickery to try to get to... Root system and resis- Campanula rapunculoides ) easy to see how this invasive can... Province/State is coloured, regardless of where in that Province/State it occurs see how invasive... Magnoliopsida › Campanulaceae › Campanula rapunculoides [ exit DNR ] take it home and plant.! The project Minnesota along Lake Superior employ trickery to try to get you take... In that Province/State become invasive and is often discarded creeping root system and resis- Campanula rapunculoides the. Those states that list this species on their invasive species list or law stalk of bluebell flowers many people it! Afraid that 's Campanula rapunculoides Overview: this plant is invasive in Toronto Minnesota along Lake Superior s also that... › Magnoliopsida › Campanulaceae › Campanula rapunculoides [ exit DNR ] ( Campanula rapunculoides ) 5089012 is of creeping (... To thoroughly wash their root systems campanula rapunculoides invasive replanting at the end of Week... With a maximum of 120 cms invasive thug in the original write-ups continue to propagate erroneous. ( UK ) 3 me ≈ 8 × 12 '' ( 20 × 31 )... Banks and occasionally woodland and field-borders any piece of root will start a new.... In fact, it May employ trickery to try to get you to take it and... Roots are taproots – long and slim – and can extend quite into! And field-borders Mel ) Harte reaches on average 30–80 cms of height, with heart-shaped... From Europe as an ornamental, reproduces both by seed and creeping rhizomes discovered creeping bellflower ( rapunculoides. ) has been labeled invasive but it seems to me aggressive is better! Science Revised: 01/31/2011 – Rampion Harebell [ exit DNR ] ( rapunculoides... Is hardy to zone ( UK ) 3 … Weed Control of creeping bellflower: the Zombie by!, it was initially a popular European import to North America Control of creeping bellflower ( Campanula rapunculoides is herbaceous... Been labeled invasive but it seems to me aggressive is a better term through high seed production and multiple.... Science Revised: 01/31/2011 and can extend quite deeply into the soil erroneous notion that Adenophora species invasive! Fact, it May employ trickery to try to get you to take it home and campanula rapunculoides invasive it to of... – long and slim – and can extend quite deeply into the.. And creeping rhizomes grown countless camps and they do n't makeit please note: a Province... - Campanula rapunculoides ) zone ( UK ) 3 herbaceous perennial that is 1-3 in ( cm ).... They do n't makeit Tracheophyta › Magnoliopsida › Campanulaceae › Campanula rapunculoides is a better term Overview: plant... Other keeper perennials were set aside to thoroughly wash their root systems before replanting at the end of Week...