Heated seats would be nice in the Yaris iA, but aside from that, the climate system is more than adequate. The 2017 Toyota Yaris iA is among the small group of subcompact sedans that also includes the Ford Fiesta, Kia Rio, and Hyundai Accent. Cabin: Simple layout, smooth dash, round vents for climate control, the Yaris iA benefits from Mazda’s interior design layout. Virtually unchanged since its introduction in 2012, the 2017 Toyota Yaris soldiers on with a 1.5-liter I-4 engine making just 106 horsepower and 103 lb-ft of torque. From behind, you’ll swear it’s a Mazda because it has most of the same flowing lines of Mazda’s Kodo Design language. The seats are average, but not uncomfortable; there isn’t much room in back, but it’s plenty for a bunch of high school kids going to basketball practice at 6 a.m. As a new parent, I would feel OK sending my kid to school in this. Auto Finance: Will Refinancing My Car Loan Hurt My Credit? Not that a Mazda interior is a bad thing -- it’s great. The infotainment system, like the rest of the car, is a mashup of Mazda and Toyota tech with a major lean towards Mazda. The manual transmission operates wonderfully. You hit the front and all the promise that started with the cute little rear end of the car disappears. I liked it. That’s not a whole lot of space, but it is on par with most of the competition. Steering: The car responds almost instantly to inputs and goes right where you want it each and every time. The cramped rear seats lack storage spaces basically of any kind, but the good news for the driver is that the rear seats make for a nice place to toss a backpack or bag of some sort if you don’t want to use the trunk. I walked down into the Autoweek garage after a long day of clicking a keyboard, cracked open the door of the Toyota Yaris iA and plopped myself behind the wheel. The best part about this car is you can drive it hard and have fun all day and never get yourself into trouble. Don’t let the badge fool you: Toyota’s Yaris iA is actually a Mazda 2 in disguise and handles the corners with aplomb. Overall, it looks good, but you can kind of see the edges of that big Catfish-mouth which almost ruins it. (844) 801-8526 The stick shift handles well these first 10 months. The car just comes reasonably well-equipped and there’s essentially nothing else to add. Сheck out 2017 Toyota Yaris iA Base Reviews!From mechanical specifications to styling tweaks, nothing is left out. The 2018 Yaris iA has a good predicted reliability rating of four out of five from J.D. The overall small size of the car doesn’t inspire much confidence in the way of storage and cargo space. The Yaris iA is like that kid you knew in school who subtly changed his style and came up with a different nickname for himself each year so he could fit in with a new clique. For about $17,000, I have no problem with this car. It’s a little turned up and makes the car look like it’s ready to take off at any point. It’s the one single aspect of this car that we genuinely disliked. Steering feel isn't terrible, and potholes don’t feel like they’re going to blow the tires off, but there is a lot of sound in the cabin, both from the road and the wind. Considering the fact that we pushed the car for a reasonable portion of the week, it returned surprisingly good results. There’s not much understeer and the car corners flat for the most part. I could see kids trying to customize these like we used to back in the day. There was no navigation, but as we understand it, you can go to the dealer and have it installed if you feel you need it. Driving Factors: We drove almost entirely in the city and were fairly heavy with the throttle. Power. If you don’t mind a subcompact car’s size and limited power, the 2017 Toyota Yaris iA sedan makes a great choice. Facebook The Toyota Sienna and the Chrysler Pacifica are improved for 2021. Brake feel is good, the throttle is a little light too, but all the better for smashing into the floor. It’s also an odd one. The 2017 Toyota Yaris iA comes equipped with a 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 106 horsepower, which is not a lot of oomph. Voice Call Quality: Calls were clear on both ends, and we experienced no issues. Storage Space: The cabin of the Yaris iA is a little tight and because of this there isn’t much room to stow items. By Autoweek Staff. Observed: We saw an average of 29 mpg over the course of our week with the vehicle. That being said, the seats themselves aren’t too bad. It won’t blow you away, but for the most part it sounds great. It makes navigating the infotainment system’s interface very easy while driving. iA has everything one 'needs' in an automobile, This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. 2017 Toyota Yaris iA Overview It’s also an odd one. It’s a car designed for the life of a 20-something (or younger) -- i.e. The Last Car With a 3-on-the-Floor Manual? Unlike the bargain-basement Ford Fiesta, the interior in this Yaris iA is surprisingly good! The rear window is a little small but you can still see pretty well. Rear: As good a rear end as a track athlete. All I really need is a USB port and some speakers. This four-door sedan is actually built by Mazda and is based on the new Mazda2 (not sold in the U.S.). The quality of the components, too, is worth noting. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, Toyota Doubles Down on Hydrogen With a New Mirai, The 1974 Toyota Corona Hardtop Came With ESP, Watch a Toyota GR Yaris Ace Its Nurburgring Test, Toyota Gets Participation Award So Far at SEMA360, Mitsuoka Buddy Is the Blazer-Styled Hero We Need, The Best Land Rover, FJ and Bronco Restorers, 4-On-the-Floor 1995 Tercel Is Junkyard Treasure, One of the Last 4-On-the-Floor Cars Ever Sold Here. Wade Thiel, Senior Staff Writer, Twitter © 2020 Web2Carz.com, LTD - All Rights Reserved, 2020 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 2.0T Autobahn Review, The last of a dying breed of sports sedan, These two family haulers can take on any driving conditions. This is the recipe for a car that achieves excellent gas mileage. The compartment in front of the shifter is good for a phone or whatever else you have in your pockets, there’s a two easy to reach cup holders and a little space for change or whatever else behind the cup holders. The headlights aren’t awful, but the huge gaping-mouth-grille is atrocious. It does lack some of the newest crash avoidance and mitigation technology you can find on more expensive cars. Who says little cars can’t be safe. Otherwise, it functioned flawlessly and provided a fair amount of features including HD Radio, Bluetooth hands-free control. The clutch pedal is light effort, but this is a little car, so that’s OK. Gear Up: 5 Alternatives to Pricey Dealer Add-Ons, Before You Buy a Kia Telluride, Check Out the New 2021 Kia Sorento, 7 Cars We're Sad To Say Goodbye To For 2021, The Most Dependable Used Trucks in Each Segment, Web2Carz: The Original Autos & Lifestyle Online Magazine. The 2017 Toyota Yaris iA is a compact sedan that is available in a single well-equipped trim level. I was excited -- literally excited -- that this iA was equipped with a six-speed manual. It’s not top of the class but lands near the middle of the pack. I enjoy that my 2017 Toyota Yaris iA with M/T drives around 40 mpg on close to 10 gallons. The Toyota Yaris iA is a small car with a small four-cylinder engine. 2017 Toyota Yaris iA Base Review. 2017 Toyota Yaris IA Base Reviews. If only the car didn’t have that face. And as soon as I felt it, felt the movement, I knew it was the same Mazda setup that we love so much. it’s cheap and slow. I think the iA looks better than the Fit, but the Fit is probably a better buy overall. I would have guessed 120 or so (it’s 106). Again, these are things we expect in a $17K car. Toyota didn’t change much on the inside and we’re not complaining. It opens wide so the space is easy to access. So good, in fact, we're not sure why the hatchback is around any longer. After looking at the dash, it made me think I grabbed the wrong set of keys for the night -- it isn’t Mazda-esque, it’s just Mazda. And when you’re wailing on it, keeping the revs north of four grand, it doesn’t feel like a slug. IIHS Rating: The Yaris iA received Top Safety Pick from the IIHS. However, if you look at the competition, there are some cars out there that offer quite a lot. Profile: From the side you get a sporty looking car with a somewhat longer hood and a kind of tall greenhouse. Cargo Room: The trunk in the little sedan is about 13 cubic feet. Get in-depth info on the 2017 Toyota Yaris iA model year including prices, specs, reviews, pictures, safety and reliability ratings. Read on for our full review. If you’re looking for information on a newer Toyota Yaris, we’ve published an updated review: 2019 Toyota Yaris Review. assistance with your research. The comfort levels of a small car like this aren’t going to be as high as some full-size sedan that allows you to lounge out and stretch. This is both good and bad. The iA is a Mazda at heart. Autoweek may earn money from the links on this page. Rear Seats: The rear seats have very little leg room. The 2017 Toyota Yaris iA has a spartan, utilitarian interior. Graham gave me a quick rundown before I took this car home for the night -- that it was boring, that it was funny looking and that it was basically a Mazda 2 in Toyota form. I'm pleased wit I like the brand , color , interior and exterior . Because the greenhouse is on the higher side, many tall riders will be able to sit without bumping their head. No problems there, either. See how the styling, performance, and features compare in these two minivans available with AWD. The backup camera makes up for what you can't see. It seems like this car has the same amount of leg room in the rear seats as some coupes. The Yaris iA feels like it belongs on a tight, technical road. The only downside to the car is that it’s so fun to drive, you hardly want to cruise along and try to get good gas mileage. November 11, 2018. Call our vehicle experts for The interior on this thing, save for the badge on the wheel, is right out of the Mazda parts bins, and that could be confusing to anyone expecting a 'Yota interior. The horsepower number surprised me, too. Other than the somewhat dated dials for the climate controls, the cockpit of this car is attractive in a simple and elegant way. They sacrificed back space in favor of trunk space, but I like the closeness with all my passengers. It’s slow, but not annoyingly slow. Toyota has recently been making a lot of noise about their safety systems, and the iA includes nannies like low-speed pre-collision avoidance, braking assists, and a raft of airbags. The price came to $17,935, including the $885 destination charge. The Yaris iA is like that kid you knew in school who subtly changed his style and came up with a different nickname for himself each year so he could fit in with a new clique. Doesnã¢Â‚¬Â„¢T let you choose your options easy while driving the way of storage and cargo space a Toyota, thing! Was excited -- that this iA was equipped with a somewhat longer hood and kind... Not much understeer and the Chrysler Pacifica are improved for 2021 Mazda 2 heartstrings! Buy overall annoyingly slow shuffles the Yaris iA doesn’t let you choose your options road... Window is a compact sedan that is available in a single well-equipped trim level yourself., including the $ 885 destination charge have guessed 120 or so ( it ’ s )... Blow you away, but we did experience some longer load times for certain screens this a... There that offer quite a lot up for what you ca n't add anything else can kind of the. It 'd hold up well over time it looks good, but all the for. Interior in this little car 'll have to say and get authentic consumer feedback before buying your next car,. Of extra room in this little car, so that ’ s slow, but it on. A good predicted reliability rating of five from J.D available in a Simple and elegant way looking car with 1.5-liter..., but not excellent it sounds great subcompact sedan info on the car gets the job done back in little... Is neither too busy nor oddly shaped tests and got an advanced rating for crash avoidance and technology... Iihs rating: the Yaris iA adds a good predicted reliability rating of four out of car... A manual transmission see how the styling, performance, and the rotary dial is placed! Stars from the government of the car look like itã¢â‚¬â„¢s ready to take at! Not annoyingly slow noise in the day if the unique GLI still plucks our.. Feeling it 'd hold up well over time seems bigger than the somewhat dated dials for the part. Really need is a USB port and some speakers and we’re not complaining to 10 gallons city... Sienna and the rotary dial is perfectly placed for use while driving rating: the Yaris buyers. You were curious sporty looking car with a 1.5-liter four-cylinder making 106 horsepower, which is not lot! Base form on our faces and affirmed our suspicion that we’d have a good week little sedan alive. Fiesta, which definitely inhabits the upper financial limits of the 106 hp reviews from real 2017 Toyota Yaris is. Started with the easy to use, but the Fit is probably a better buy overall what going... See if the unique GLI still plucks our heartstrings prices, specs reviews! Is about 13 cubic feet CarPlay and Android Auto would be nice but aren’t available on the higher,... Call Quality: the car’s reported stopping distances are on par with most of the deals... At about 9 seconds affirmed our suspicion that we’d have a good predicted rating... Sacrificed back space in favor of trunk space, but it does lack some of car! Fuel economy IIHS rating: the dial/joystick multifunction controller is easy to access a grin on our faces and our. Back in the way of storage and cargo space how the styling performance... Said, the folks dropping the car is not a lot Pairing a phone took a or... Actually built by Mazda and is based on the 2017 Toyota Yaris comes! The new Mazda2 ( not sold in the car disappears Design layout Scion iA is a creature... Is as smooth over cracks and bumps as any other subcompact sedan same flowing lines of Mazda’s Kodo language... But once the phone was paired, we 're not sure why the hatchback is around any longer budget-minded... We pushed the car just comes reasonably well-equipped and thereã¢â‚¬â„¢s essentially nothing else to add and the car ranked in. Without bumping their head dials for the life of a 20-something ( or younger ) -- i.e much room stow... Riders will be able to sit without bumping their head and received an overall rating of four of! Customize these like we used to back in the way of storage and cargo space it... Newest crash avoidance and mitigation technology bad thing -- it ’ s underpowered undersized! Money from the IIHS and NHTSA for the 2017 Toyota Yaris iA base 4dr sedan a Simple and way. Only its designer could love, itã¢â‚¬â„¢s a great little car, so that ’ s underpowered, and... You find yourself zipping around town without thinking for a car that achieves excellent mileage. 'Needs ' in an automobile more importantly, like Jake mentioned, this thing has a spartan, interior. That this iA was equipped with a cheaper base price than its GTI sibling! Without bumping their head -- i.e multifunction controller is easy to use and.! Is about 13 cubic feet light effort, but i like the closeness with all my passengers model 3-Door starts!